Thread: What AMD chipset do I need?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow What AMD chipset do I need?

Wanting to build a HTPC/Home Server that will be on 24/7/365 on a UPS. Looking at either a Athlon or Ryzen w/ the IGPU that is capable of 4K/7.1 channel audio. Been out of the game for quite a bit and would like a bit of advice for a chipset that will support the newest version of USB 3, Raid 0 or 5 and is most importantly reliable. Will need connections for 2-4HDD, 1xOptical & NVMe drve. M/B will be ATX size.

Thanks
    Last edited by Tazz; 04-20-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

None at all, since Ryzen is a SOC and has everything integrated. SO there isn't really a Chipset.

With that said, with Ryzen 2000 its a good idea to get a 400 series one - either B450 or X470 - because of BIOS Support for the CPUs. Meaning you need an old Ryzen to flash the BIOS of the old BOard.

With that, you can just choose whatever Motherboard you feel like.

Though personally I'd look into Ryzen CPU as well for a simple reason: They support ECC. That is an advantage for your usage case as it automatically fixes 1bit errors and recognizes 2bit Errors.
    Sadly its not officially supported for whatever reason and only Ryzen CPU can do that, not the APU...

And only some Boards support it. ASUS is said to be known good, ASROCK possibly, MSI is negative (as they always were).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xnx14xnx View Post
    Raid 0 or 5 and is most importantly reliable

RAID 0 (striped) is for speed and has no redundancy at all and so actually makes things less reliable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

I prefer RAID 1 (mirrored) myself since if the RAID device itself fails one can still access the data without first repairing or replacing the device.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 04-20-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    RAID 0 (striped) is for speed and has no redundancy at all and so actually makes things less reliable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

I prefer RAID 1 (mirrored) myself since if the RAID device itself fails one can still access the data without first repairing or replacing the device.
    I would be OK with Raid1, then backup to external HDD, and I only need 4TB, so 2.5" would still workout and I will not need additional power for an external HDD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This assuming the Ryzen "G" series will cone out not too far behind the $$$/gaming chips. If i am wrong with this assumption please let me know.
    -
    When is the 7nm stuff coming out? I was looking at the Ryzen 22/2400G (I think those are the #s currently) w/ st leadt 8GB ram, probably 16GB when it all comes out, a NVMe for the main drive - probably 500GB-1TB and then a RAID1 of at least 4TB, but the size of the array will more than likely change since the waiting timg for the 7nm chips to come out, storage prices will come down (or TB per $).

Thanks,
    Bob

Also, anybody have an idea when 10GbE speed Ethernet (CAT5E / CAT6, etc (I say cat CAT5E because the runs are short, like at max 75')) is going to be showing up on m/b and when are the switches coming down in price?
    Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

7nm APU's are far away the 12nm APU's are first.

Just a couple of days ago AMD launched the Ryzen Embedded R series, which seems perfect for your requirements. There is also the older V1000 series, which has some faster models. Finding the right motherboard could only be a bit difficult.