Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major input lag caused by Power issues in House

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by x8009bond View Post
    I have SMART UPS which is just pure sine, not online one.
    FYI: Sine waveform shape and UPS topology are not mutually exclusive. You need to study your terms. One is your output waveform and the other is the UPS topology.

Example: A line interactive UPS is an off line UPS with a buck and boost AVR. The output can be EITHER square wave (aka simulated sine) >> OR << pure sine (actual same as what would normally come out of the wall).

An online UPS is a UPS that is ALWAYS online. In other words: There's no AVR and there's no switch between mains and battery. It's always running off the DC to AC regulator from the batteries, very much in the same way your house would be powered if it was running off of solar panels.

So: Your Smart UPS? It's probably line interactive, correct? It is pure sine output (many of them are. They come both ways). And, of course, the APC Easy UPS is an ONLINE UPS and I believe they are ALL pure sine output.

The fan that is changing speeds: I'm guessing you're talking about a simple floor fan? It's plugged into the wall and not the UPS, right?

If the fan speed is changing because the mains voltage is changing, I would hope that those extreme changes (extreme enough to hear the difference in a fan RPM) then IF the current UPS is Line Interactive, you would hear it "click" as it tried to buck or boost that voltage. Are you hearing that click?

Does your Smart UPS have an LCD that tells you what your mains voltage is? If it has to buck or boost, it should show that as well.

If you're using an OFFLINE UPS, that crazy voltage is going to go right through the UPS and into your PC and will only kick in battery power until the AC drops out altogether.

Then the next question is: What is the power supply you're using in your system. MOST (quality) PSU should not care what the mains voltage is as long as it's within a range (defined on the PSU's label). Typically 100-240V or, in some high end cases, 90V-264V. It's not uncommon for cheaper 230V only (input range of 200 to 240V) to have the outputs drop or shut off altogether if the mains voltages drop below 200V. It's my opinion these PSUs should not be used anywhere by anyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johndole25 View Post
    There are other people that have had this happen on the Nvidia forums

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...killing-me/42/

This link suggests a possible grounding issue, so that would be the first thing to check.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 09-08-2019 at 10:17 AM.