Thread: How to connect my graphics card to my PSU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How to connect my graphics card to my PSU?

I was wondering how to better connect my new graphics card to my EVGA SuperNova 650W G2 PSU?

Until recently Iíve used Asus ROG Strix GTX 970 OC graphics card that had single 8-pin power connector and there was no question of how to connect it. Now I bought Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 OC 8 GB Gaming graphics card that has one 6-pin and one 8-pin power connectors. This card also has two 4-pin PWM fan headers and an addressable RGB header. The recommended PSU power for this graphics card is 550w. This graphics card will be installed on Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard with overclocked Intel Core i7-4790K CPU.

What is the optimal way to connect this new graphics card to the PSU? Itís probably worth noting that I also plan to overclock this graphics card. The PSU has two connectors for graphics card(s) marked as VGA1 and VGA2. I assume this PSU is capable of powering two graphics cards. Should I use a single 6-pin + 8(6+2)-pin PCI-E VGA cable or two of these cables and connect one of them to 6-pin connector and the other to 8-pin connector? If you recommend using two of these cables, does it matter if I plug 6-pin or 8-pin end of the cable to cardís 6-pin connector? Strangely enough, only 6-pin extension is equipped with capacitor. From all Iíve read and saw so far the conclusion is to use two separate cables as they will give more stable and cleaner power. On the other hand, this will create a cable mess as each cable has a 6-pin extension. Will it cause any damage to my graphics card or PSU and will it affect the performance if I connect them with a single cable?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 04-16-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

It's always best to use multiple cables whenever possible. Less resistance from more conductors means the voltages will drop less under high loads.

That said, nothing is going to get "damaged" if you only use one. It may limit your OC's and you'll see your PC either shut down, go to a blank screen or dump out to the desktop if voltages drop too low.