Thread: PSU recommendations for a couple of retro PCs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question PSU recommendations for a couple of retro PCs

Hello, I've been visiting the site every now and then for PSU info, I even picked the PSU for my main PC (Seasonic 660W Platinum) some years ago after reading a glowing review here. I decided to register as I have a question that has been bugging me and I cant find reliable enough info about, some pretty contradictory posts about it around the internets. I hope you can help me out here.

First and foremost, my first PC when I started PC gaming back in 2005 was a socket A/462 budget PC with a sempron 2600+ and ati 9550 graphics. For the sake of nostalgia, I've been thinking of rebuilding/reviving it but with top of the line parts that I wouldn't have been able to afford back then. I still have Gigabyte 7VT880 Pro motherboard and my old sempron and 9550 as well as my original case, but I miss quite a few other things like the original HDD I had is dead. I'm thinking of going with Athlon XP-M mobile barton for CPU, those are known to overclock quite high if you have a good stepping. Not too long ago I found some Corsair XMS Pro ram with LEDs on top, quite nice, and 2GB is way more than the 512mb I had. The 9550 I was thinking of upping to a 9800 Pro or XT, but after some consideration I decided to go a step above to Ati X850XT, the final native AGP graphics card and also the last one with win98 drivers available. Add to that a SB Live or Audigy, a 10k rpm WD Raptor for OS and a 7200rpm HDD or two for storage, and some optical drives and floppy and all that good stuff, will turn out rather nice I'm sure. And I already found a sweet 1600x1200 20-inch Dell LCD that will be a great replacement over the 17-inch 1280x1024 no-brand LCD I had back then (it's dead).

So, most importantly, the power supply. I do know that these old systems normally need a 5V-heavy PSU like an old Delta DPS or something, with 30A or more on the 5V rail. Thing that confuses me tho, this motherboard, Gigabyte 7VT880 Pro, as well as the Abit NF7-SV2 that I'd like to upgrade it to if I can find one, both have a 4-pin 12V connector next to the socket. So does it not load up the 5V rail much then? Can I use a good modern power supply for this or does it still need to be something with strong 5V?

The other thing is, this PC is just for nostalgia for my first PC, I'll probably dualboot w98 and XP on it and not use it all that much. The one other build I'm actively working on to be my actual build for win98 retro gaming, has Asrock Conroe865PE motherboard with Pentium E5800 and FX 5950 Ultra, and both Audigy 2 ZS and Aureal Vortex 2 sound cards. Still, this shouldn't eat too much power, I'm guessing less than 200W total for sure, and I can certainly use a modern power supply for this one. Thing is tho, I want something premium and very well built that will allow this PC to last a very long time. But all of the well built premium PSUs today are 600W+ which feels rather excessive for this. Not to mention they are starting to drop molex and floppy connectors from the PSU cables these days as modern PCs dont need them. Any recommendations for something suitable?

I would certainly appreciate your input on both of these, and in advance thank you very much!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Gigabyte 7VT880 Pro

With that Motherboard, I'd try any modern, lower-mid range PSU. With those Components, 400 and 450W is more than enough. I wouldn't go to 3x0W because they are strongly cost down to archieve that price tag. So you get for example less cablelenth.

So what PSU in the 400-550W Range do you have in your region that you want to pay for??

be quiet System Power9 available??

Quote Originally Posted by IvoLazarov View Post
    I do know that these old systems normally need a 5V-heavy PSU like an old Delta DPS or something, with 30A or more on the 5V rail. Thing that confuses me tho, this motherboard, Gigabyte 7VT880 Pro, as well as the Abit NF7-SV2 that I'd like to upgrade it to if I can find one, both have a 4-pin 12V connector next to the socket. So does it not load up the 5V rail much then? Can I use a good modern power supply for this or does it still need to be something with strong 5V?
    Normally yes, but not the Boards you are talking about.
    Some of the last generation Socket A Boards power the CPU off of the 12V Rail, thus you can use any modern PSU you want to.

Also the PSU were pretty shit compared to modern PSU...

THe "30A or more" is:
    a) based on the quality of the PSU of the time
    b) not necessarily needed if you don't want to overclock.

With modern, high quality PSU it should be possible to get away with 20-25A because they got soo much better than the ones at the time.

Keep in mind that there were no decent PSU Test until the mid 2000s...
    So people just had to assume things...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello Stefan, I have access to all the big players here - Evga, Be Quiet, SeaSonic, Thermaltake, Cooler Master, Fortron, Corsair, etc.

Tho I'm not sure if a brand new one would have all the molex and floppy power cables I'm gonna need, I'm fine with getting a slightly older model used if I have to. Whats important is for it to be great solid build model that will last a long time and ideally have high efficiency rating too. My personal favorite ended up being the Seasonics after reading glowing review after glowing review about them here. But the lower wattage model Seasonics for sale right now I see are SSR-350ST Bronze, SSR-430ST Bronze, SSR-450SGX FOCUS SGX Gold, SSR-550FX FOCUS Plus 550 Gold (10Y warranty), and after that its all 600+ watt models.

From EVGA theres a 430W model of some sort, model number 100-W1-0430-KR, and 500W Bronze 100-BR-0500-K2. Frpm Be Quiet I see SYSTEM POWER B9 350W BN207, and System Power 9 500W, also Straight Power 11 550W Gold. From Corsair theres 450W VS and SF, and 550W CX models, tho tbh I dont trust these too much, they're CWTs arent they? Cooler Master has some V3s of 300W (MPW-3001-ACABN1) and 500W (MPW-5001-ACABN1). From Fortron I see a few 350W and 400W PN series, and a 400W Hexa. But yeah, from all the brands, everything that looks good quality is 600W+. And Im not sure if these modern models will even have enough molex and floppy power cables, so isnt it best to get something a bit older used?

P.S. this reminds me, there used to be a Seasonic 400W Platinum Fanless, its not sold anymore but I can probably find it used, how about that one? And yes, I'd like to overclock the Athlon XP-M, probably not push it as high as it can go (about 2.7 ghz afaik?) but a bit lower for 24/7 use. It will surely hold back the X850XT so I should reduce the bottleneck as much as I can
    Last edited by IvoLazarov; 1 Week Ago at 10:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

SSR-430ST Bronze should be fine, though it's a bit light on 3.3v and 5v - for the boards that use 12v to power CPU it would be fine.
    EVGA W1 is kinda crap, BR is a bit better if I remember correctly.
    FSP/Fortron Hexa should be fine.

Since you're in Bulgaria you should also look into Sirtec / Highpower - they're sold here in Romania so maybe you also have them there... they're cheap, they do what the labels say, decent capacitors in them and they last more than their warranty

Here's some examples:
    Sursa Sirtec - High Power Eco II 450W HPE-450-A12S II https://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/sirtec...r/eco-ii-450w/ -
    Sirtec - High Power 500BR-A12S, 80+ Bronze, 500W - https://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/sirtec...s-bronze-500w/
    High Power HPQ-500BR-H12S, 80+ Bronze, 500W - https://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/sirtec...s-bronze-500w/
    High Power Simplicity Series, 600W HPG-600ST-H12S - https://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/sirtec...y-series-600w/
    Something else that would be cheap and should work with older computers :

Thermaltake Smart RGB, 80+, 500W SPR-0500N https://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/therma...-80-plus-500w/
    Antec EarthWatts EA-380D Green 380W EA-380D Green https://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/antec/...ea-380d-green/
    Sursa Enermax NAXN, 80+ Bronze, 500W ETP500AWT - https://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/enerma...s-bronze-500w/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Tho I'm not sure if a brand new one would have all the molex and floppy power cables I'm gonna need
    Good point. THAT is a Problem...
    So that leaves two options:
    a) getting a modular one and ask the Manufacturer for an additional Molex Only Cable. Wich increases the price by a good amount
    b) use S-ATA to Molex Adapters.
    something like that:
    https://geizhals.de/delock-stromkabe...-a1374202.html

They're not that expensive.
    And they're not that great. And must only be used for IDE Devices.

A better solution is to use one or two Molex Y Cables.
    That gives you 4 Molex.

My personal favorite ended up being the Seasonics after reading glowing review after glowing review about them here.
    I don't get it...
    There are other manufacturers that offer equal or better products.
    And Seasonic still has some rather crappy products in their lineup.

Why I don't like Seasonic too much is on one hand the overhyping on the Internets, but on the other hand they claimed two +12V Rails in their S12II Lineup when the Protection CHip doesn't support it, they don't even have seperate solderjoints or Shunts...

In general I hate PSU without OCP on any rail especially minor rails, no UVP on 12V and OTP.

But the lower wattage model Seasonics for sale right now I see are SSR-350ST Bronze, SSR-430ST Bronze, SSR-450SGX FOCUS SGX Gold, SSR-550FX FOCUS Plus 550 Gold (10Y warranty), and after that its all 600+ watt models.
    Seasonic Bronze models under 750W are crap and should be avoided at all cost. There is no reason for anyone to buy them as they lack protection and are rather loud.

The SGX is not an ATX PSU but a smaller one called "SFX-L".

In that area, you better look at Corsair and be quiet units. They have some reasonable units.
    Especially be quiet tends not to save on protections.
    Alternatively maybe FSP but there are no reviews of lower end FSP units. But I'd rather trust an FSP Hexa than a low end Seasonic with my Hardware.
    Because the FSP usually has more protections.

From EVGA theres
    Not much interesting stuff...
    They are, at best, pretty average or "08/15". And with that no reason to buy them as they don't offer anything interesting...

Frpm Be Quiet I see SYSTEM POWER B9 350W BN207, and System Power 9 500W, also Straight Power 11 550W Gold.
    Disregard the 350W, the Rest is fine.
    Whatever you feel like.

CM Version has the advantage that you can replace the cable and maybe order an additional cables...

From Corsair theres 450W VS and SF, and 550W CX models, tho tbh I dont trust these too much, they're CWTs arent they?
    VS is HEC, SF is Great Wall and CX is half/half between Great Wall and CWT.

Why are you not trusting Corsair??
    Or rather why aren't you trusting Corsair more than Seasonic??

From what I've seen, Corsair is making rather decent products, without the grab in the toilette that other have.

With CWT there was some minor issues with certain products (=not glued screws) but in general they are as good as you (as a manufacturer) want them to be.
    In general:
    Their Wave Soldering is pretty good, on the main PCB. Some additional PCBs can look ugly and hand soldered stuff is also pretty problematic.

But if you want something from CWT, they will do it for you. You can even ask them to heavily modify their plattforms, if you're willing to pay for that.
    In general they aren't too bad, if you want something good.

Cooler Master has some V3s of 300W (MPW-3001-ACABN1) and 500W (MPW-5001-ACABN1). From Fortron I see a few 350W and 400W PN series, and a 400W Hexa.
    Yeah, nothing exiting here.
    Cooler Master has the V-Series wich would be interesting. The normal Master Watt 450 and 550W (not MWE or other stuff) is OKish.
    Though the Semi Fanless Implementation is not great...

FSP also is not too exiting.
    But to be frank: Rather get an FSP than a low end Seasonic.

P.S. this reminds me, there used to be a Seasonic 400W Platinum Fanless, its not sold anymore but I can probably find it used, how about that one?
    Overpriced.
    Fanless only makes some sense in some niche situations. For you, there is no reason to go with a fanless.
    There are other, better alternatives that are far cheaper and not less good.

For the amount of money you have to pay for that, you could grab 1 or two other PSU you listed here.
    And yes, I'd like to overclock the Athlon XP-M, probably not push it as high as it can go (about 2.7 ghz afaik?) but a bit lower for 24/7 use. It will surely hold back the X850XT so I should reduce the bottleneck as much as I can
    With the X850XT you have to use Windows 2k/XP, wich kinda defeats the purpose.
    You are limited to Radeon 9k Series for AMD and nVidia 6 Series for Windows 9x.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    With the X850XT you have to use Windows 2k/XP, wich kinda defeats the purpose.
    You are limited to Radeon 9k Series for AMD and nVidia 6 Series for Windows 9x.
    Actually X850XT does work in 9x. Catalyst 5.2, 5.9 and 6.2 win9x drivers include INFs for X700, X800 and X850 series. There's users on vogons that use such cards in 9x and say everything works great, 1600x1200 with forced AA and AF looks fantastic, only issue is the lack of table fog and 8-bit palletized texture support which is a problem for a dozen or so games, not that big of a problem but its the reason why I'll go with FX 5950 Ultra for my main win98 build, that card supports everything and works great for those games, it doesnt have the performance of the X850XT but its sufficient really.

About the PSUs, you're making some great points there, I didn't know the low end models are so bad, but its also why I'd kinda not use low end models to begin with. The Seasonic SS-660XP2 Platinum I've been using in my main PC for years now is fantastic and I will probably get one of those new Prime Titanium models for my next build. Thats why I was wondering if the old 400W Platinum Fanless might be suitable for these retro builds, 400W sounds about right if not too much in fact, build quality has got to be great, and I can always mount a noctua fan on it as I'd rather have reliable system than a silent one.

BTW, FX 5950 Ultra is rated 74W TDP while X850XT PE is 67W TDP... that kinda puts them in the same ballpark as a 1050Ti now that I think about it The Athlon XP-Ms are efficient at stock, something like 45W or something? Tho after overclock its sure to jump to 80W or more. E5800 is 65W but Win98 will only use one of the cores, so hopefully that might result in it only using 35W or something? (IDK really, just wishfull thinking)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello, I've been visiting the site every now and then for PSU info, I even picked the PSU for my main PC (Seasonic 660W Platinum) some years ago after reading a glowing review here. I decided to register as I have a question that has been bugging me and I cant find reliable enough info about, some pretty contradictory posts about it around the internets. I hope you can help me out here.

First and foremost, my first PC when I started PC gaming back in 2005 was a socket A/462 budget PC with a sempron 2600+ and ati 9550 graphics. For the sake of nostalgia, I've been thinking of rebuilding/reviving it but with top of the line parts that I wouldn't have been able to afford back then. I still have Gigabyte 7VT880 Pro motherboard and my old sempron and 9550 as well as my original case, but I miss quite a few other things like the original HDD I had is dead. I'm thinking of going with Athlon XP-M mobile barton for CPU, those are known to overclock quite high if you have a good stepping. Not too long ago I found some Corsair XMS Pro ram with LEDs on top, quite nice, and 2GB is way more than the 512mb I had. The 9550 I was thinking of upping to a 9800 Pro or XT, but after some consideration I decided to go a step above to Ati X850XT, the final native AGP graphics card and also the last one with win98 drivers available. Add to that a SB Live or Audigy, a 10k rpm WD Raptor for OS and a 7200rpm HDD or two for storage, and some optical drives and floppy and all that good stuff, will turn out rather nice I'm sure. And I already found a sweet 1600x1200 20-inch Dell LCD that will be a great replacement over the 17-inch 1280x1024 no-brand LCD I had back then (it's dead).

So, most importantly, the power supply. I do know that these old systems normally need a 5V-heavy PSU like an old Delta DPS or something, with 30A or more on the 5V rail. Thing that confuses me tho, this motherboard, Gigabyte 7VT880 Pro, as well as the Abit NF7-SV2 that I'd like to upgrade it to if I can find one, both have a 4-pin 12V connector next to the socket. So does it not load up the 5V rail much then? Can I use a good modern power supply for this or does it still need to be something with strong 5V?

The other thing is, this PC is just for nostalgia for my first PC, I'll probably dualboot w98 and XP on it and not use it all that much. The one other build I'm actively working on to be my actual build for win98 retro gaming, has Asrock Conroe865PE motherboard with Pentium E5800 and FX 5950 Ultra, and both Audigy 2 ZS and Aureal Vortex 2 sound cards. Still, this shouldn't eat too much power, I'm guessing less than 200W total for sure, and I can certainly use a modern power supply for this one. I wrote about this by using this https://au.edubirdie.com/college-app...-essay-writing. Thing is tho, I want something premium and very well built that will allow this PC to last a very long time. But all of the well built premium PSUs today are 600W+ which feels rather excessive for this. Not to mention they are starting to drop molex and floppy connectors from the PSU cables these days as modern PCs dont need them. Any recommendations for something suitable?

I would certainly appreciate your input on both of these, and in advance thank you very much!
    Check Corsair. I recommend it.