Thread: need electrical help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default need electrical help!

I have 3 computer fans spliced together into a quick detach plug. They are then run to a power splitter.

file:///Users/adg50317/Desktop/sunbeam%20splitter.html

My 2nd one just went out, I am thinking the splicing is putting to much load on one plug and that is the reason for the consistent failure.

I am looking for confirmation before ordering another. And possibly ideas on how to rectify the situation.

I am not 100% positive on the fans, but they are the 1 1/4 in. computer fans, the wires I think are 18g. When it comes to the power amount being less due to the splices, I am not concerned. The fans have been running for 2 years at least in less than ideal conditions. It is the splitter that keeps going bad.

The reason for the splices-These fans are being used in an aquarium hood modification. They are inset on either end of my lights to cool the temp while lights are running. The hood is removable and the splices are there so I only have one splice per end as opposed to 3.

Any help is appreciated!

I know this is WWAAAYYY off topic, I am desperate.

If it makes a difference I am a Mac girl and have 2 G5 towers (technically 3-1 for parts), and am on my 2nd macbook pro!

THX!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

Your link is to a local file. We can't see that.

Is this what you have: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10...Port_MFPP.html

When you daisy chain three fans together on to one plug, ,you add up the power requirement for all three fans and that's the load on that plug. So if each fan is rated at 12V, .20A and you have three of them on one plug, the load on that plug is going to be .60A. That fan controller is probably made for ONE FAN and the power of one fan.

If that's the Sunbeam fan controller you have, there's no way in hell that's going to support three fans on a single connector. There's no way it's going to support two for any long period of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Are you pulling the plug when live?

If so, fans are inductive and one gets an inductive spike; adding a capacitor would 'condense' this spike.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 04-12-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Your link is to a local file. We can't see that.

Is this what you have: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10...Port_MFPP.html

When you daisy chain three fans together on to one plug, ,you add up the power requirement for all three fans and that's the load on that plug. So if each fan is rated at 12V, .20A and you have three of them on one plug, the load on that plug is going to be .60A. That fan controller is probably made for ONE FAN and the power of one fan.

If that's the Sunbeam fan controller you have, there's no way in hell that's going to support three fans on a single connector. There's no way it's going to support two for any long period of time.

Jon, I hear you on the daisy chain...

Yes, that is the exact controller i have been using.

Do you have a recommendation on how to hook this up? I get that the load is split 3 ways, I was hoping that the normal load would be split....not 3 fans pulling normal load. Yes that is why the controller is failing, THX for confirming.

The reason I have it that way is for ease of unhooking for cleaning purposes as well as water issues. Any idea how to keep it one line? Should i just get another kind of plug system? Heavier pull?

I was looking on ebay and they had a 2 plug wire splitter into a 4 prong, I wonder if this can be used but at a higher voltage?

Anything is helpful!

I can run electric but actually splitting the volts and amps and everything is above me.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 04-22-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Are you pulling the plug when live?
    Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post

If so, fans are inductive and one gets an inductive spike; adding a capacitor would 'condense' this spike.

Yes I am, well maybe not always as the fans are only on when the lights are on, but tell me more.

Should i make sure to unhook before the lights are on?
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 04-22-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

If you're using one port on that fan controller just so you can have a connector to plug into, that's where you need to address your issues.

If all you need is a connector, get a connector. That fan controller is trying to regulate those fans that are plugged into it and it's going to get overloaded and it's going to fry.

Take the controller out of the equation. Heck.. If you just need the connector, bust open one of the dead controllers and just take the necessary hardware out of it.

Also use the "reply with quote" function of the forums so people know who you are addressing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default will this work?

If you're using one port on that fan controller just so you can have a connector to plug into, that's where you need to address your issues.

If all you need is a connector, get a connector. That fan controller is trying to regulate those fans that are plugged into it and it's going to get overloaded and it's going to fry.

Take the controller out of the equation. Heck.. If you just need the connector, bust open one of the dead controllers and just take the necessary hardware out of it.

Also use the "reply with quote" function of the forums so people know who you are addressing.
    file:///Users/adg50317/Desktop/splitter%20wires.html

Will this work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought I was replying with quote, it looks like I have on all my posts just not the original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aleciadooley View Post
    file:///Users/adg50317/Desktop/splitter%20wires.html

Will this work?
    You're linking to a local file again. We can't see files on your hard drive unless you upload them to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by aleciadooley View Post
    I thought I was replying with quote, it looks like I have on all my posts just not the original.
    You weren't. I went back and edited your posts with the quotes.