Thread: High 6700k temps with decent cooler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default High 6700k temps with decent cooler

I was having an issue with my 6700k stock going to 92c with my case open and a bad cooler.

I installed a much better cooler the arctic 34, which claims 2.5c of the best air cooler the Noctua d-15.

I am still getting temps of up to 85c when gaming, so I have gained around 5c from a basically stock cooler to a decent one.

Have I got a bad chip. It fluctuates a lot when Idle, from say 20-50, but I have been told that is usual by other people here.

My voltage is on auto and it bumbs up to 1.43 quite a lot, is this the issue, should I be setting a stock voltage at something much lower.

When Installing the CPU cooler it was very fiddly and I bumped the side of it lightly, maybe that was it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's not normal I think, is that overclock?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

That's not right at all. LOL!

Did you peel the plastic off the bottom of the cooler? Is there thermal compound being used?

What are your temperatures in the case? What case? How's the airflow in your case?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You board should not be trying to push 1.4v into a stock 6700k. A core voltage like that will require some beefy cooling.

I would recommend checking to see if there is something like multi-core enhancement or auto overclocking on in the bios. If not I would manually set the core voltage to 1.2v which is stock for 6700k

If may also be worth checking if there are any bios updates available, I had a Gigabyte Z270 board that first bios voltage scaling was messed up on and was overvolting a 7700k to hell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    That's not right at all. LOL!

Did you peel the plastic off the bottom of the cooler? Is there thermal compound being used?

What are your temperatures in the case? What case? How's the airflow in your case?
    So I'm pretty sure it was an airflow issue, with the side of the case of and this new cooler its running max 76c on heavy gaming load and idling around 30c.

Would you recommend me changing the voltage to something a little more even or what would be a good starting voltage for a 4.5ghz OC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johndole25 View Post
    So I'm pretty sure it was an airflow issue, with the side of the case of and this new cooler its running max 76c on heavy gaming load and idling around 30c.

Would you recommend me changing the voltage to something a little more even or what would be a good starting voltage for a 4.5ghz OC?
    What case are you using, what fans and what directions are they pointing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    What case are you using, what fans and what directions are they pointing?
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolin...RoCN4cQAvD_BwE

This case, Using one back 120mm Notcua fan with the exhaust (the arrow pointing outwards of the case) so I assume it is exhausting and one other fan inside.

Leaving the glass panel of leaves lower temps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johndole25 View Post
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolin...RoCN4cQAvD_BwE

This case, Using one back 120mm Notcua fan with the exhaust (the arrow pointing outwards of the case) so I assume it is exhausting and one other fan inside.

Leaving the glass panel of leaves lower temps.
    Only exhaust and no intake? You don't have an intake fan rated in the front? That probably has a lot to do with things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would redo your mounting with your cpu cooler and use a better thermal paste maybe. Bet your not having adequate contact to the cpu.

Your temps are way to high. For example my 6700K Primings hits 75 degrees and worse 82 degrees hottest core while running OCCT.