Thread: I have power issues and light flickering in my house, any possibility to damage to PC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I have power issues and light flickering in my house, any possibility to damage to PC

I asked this on Linus tech tips and while a few people recommend a UPS, others said it wasn't necessary and that my PSU provides enough protection.

Basically, I have some sort of power issue (that is under investigation) in my house that causes the light to flickers and twice (not recently) there was an electrical arcing noise from the PSU when there was a major dip.

I need a definitive answer on whether this can cause an sort of damage to my components or not. It haven't experienced any side effects but my last system before upgrading last weed had input lag issues that I couldn't solve, but that MAY have been psychological. 90% of the time the dips in lights are very minor, but someones it's rapid and can last a few seconds.

My PSU is an EVGA g2 650w. It lists :

"Heavy-duty protections, including OVP (Over Voltage Protection),
    UVP (Under Voltage Protection),
    OCP (Over Current Protection),
    OPP (Over Power Protection), and
    SCP (Short Circuit Protection)

Does the PSU completely protect my other components from any dmaage. What about peripherals like mice and keyboards?

I saw a post where Johnny mentioned that the Bulk cap would discharge in case of under volt/current.

I just upgraded my RAM, CPU and Mobo and don't want to damage them.

Edit: Regarding the input lag. Someone on the Nvidia forums on a large thread about input lag stated that they had brownouts in their house and that moving to new CPU solved the input latency. They said it might have been psychological. Can anyone think of a reaons why these power issue might cause input latency?
    Last edited by Johndole25; 04-07-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts

Input lag is not power related.

A bigger than needed PSU would have a larger bulk cap that would hold more power in the event of a brown out. Furthermore, if the power is not dropping out completely, the bulk cap size may not even matter. A good PSU can support input voltage as low as 90V. This will cause lights to dim, but the PC should keep running.

If the PSU isn't shutting down when there is a brown out, then you're probably fine.

BTW: The protections you listed are DC output protections.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for your reply Jonny.

My PSU is 650w running a 6700k and 1070, so there is a lot of headroom I believe.

My light don't actually turn off and neither does my PC. I assume that below 90v the PSU would just turn off?

Many thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johndole25 View Post
    can last a few seconds.

Crashing the computer (due to a power cut) can most definitely corrupt the software.

Let us say it is a grounding issue, then your power supply can be exposed to 220V; yes in the USA. Not all supplies would be happy with this.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 04-07-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It never crashes or turns anything off, like stated it is purely like a brownout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johndole25 View Post
    ...there was an electrical arcing noise from the PSU when there was a major dip.

That does not bode well