Thread: I don't know what the problem is with my PC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I don't know what the problem is with my PC

I turn on the PC in the morning, and sometimes it will boot to the desktop, and freeze, and needs to be shut down with the power button...........reset does not work.
    I then power it up again, but it won't boot up as the code led's don't light up on the motherboard.
    I then power it down, switch off the PSU for about 5-10 seconds, which is either the HX850i, or the current RM550X, as the start up problem applies to both units.
    Then switch the PSU back on, and press the power button and see if the code led's light up, and if not I shut the PC down again, and turn off the PSU.
    I continue with the power off, PSU off, PSU on, power on, and if the code led's light up, I let it carry on booting,and if I get a working desktop, then I can use it for the rest of the day......unless I do a restart, and then I have to do the usual procedure......again.
    It seems to be quite random, some days it starts and works all day, or for a few days, until it plays up.

This is my poor attempt at trouble shooting, but, it works!.....and the above makes sense to me, but............
    Happy to answer any questions for further information, if I have made a confusing post........thanks.
    Windows 10-64bit-Windows 7 Home-64bit - Phanteks Primo case - Corsair HX850i PSU - Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1 - i7-6700K(Bios F21) - Corsair H110i GTX AIO cooler - Corsair LPX 2 x 8GB 2666Mhz memory - Creative ZxRi Onboard sound - 2 x Samsung 950 256GB Nvme 256GB M.2 - 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - 1 x Intel 750 400GB Pci-e - EVGA GTX FTW ACX2.0 980Ti - Dell 27" G-Sync 2560 x 1440 (main) - Dell 24" (secondary) 1920 x 1200 monitors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you tried troubleshooting each component? Seems like a motherboard issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Are you seeing the problem on both Windows 7 and Windows 10?

* I would start with checking the CMOS battery, looking for any physically distressed capacitors along the way and update the BIOS if one is available, and reset the BIOS to default.

* Then I'd check the RAM with MemTest and the hard drive for any bad sectors with HD tune (and any firmware updates for the drive)

* If the above show no issues, I'd reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS
    Last edited by ashiekh; 04-07-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Er, no, but the motherboard is a concern, since I have used two Corsair PSU's, and my motherboard doesn't seem to play nicely with it, as I have had troubles in the past resulting in a couple of RMA's, thanks to Jonny's help and assistance.
    Windows 10-64bit-Windows 7 Home-64bit - Phanteks Primo case - Corsair HX850i PSU - Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1 - i7-6700K(Bios F21) - Corsair H110i GTX AIO cooler - Corsair LPX 2 x 8GB 2666Mhz memory - Creative ZxRi Onboard sound - 2 x Samsung 950 256GB Nvme 256GB M.2 - 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - 1 x Intel 750 400GB Pci-e - EVGA GTX FTW ACX2.0 980Ti - Dell 27" G-Sync 2560 x 1440 (main) - Dell 24" (secondary) 1920 x 1200 monitors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Are you seeing the problem on both Windows 7 and Windows 10?

* I would start with checking the CMOS battery, looking for any physically distressed capacitors along the way and update the BIOS if one is available.

* Then I'd check the RAM with MemTest and the hard drive for any bad sectors with HD tune (and any firmware updates for the drive)

* If the above show no issues, I'd reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS
    ========

I only run Windows 7 these days, because Windows 10 annoys me..........a lot, and only boot it up now and again to update it.
    It used to run Win 10 perfectly in late 2017, but somehow possibly due to MS updates, it got screwed up somehow......example I play an old game of Company of Heroes, which ran just fine, and then it didn't and played like it was running in treacle....slow, and decided to format and reinstall it, but was still a bit crappy.
    Plus I hate the business of removing what I can of all the crap that comes with it....

Plus I have cloned onto separate SSD's Windows 7 and Windows 10, so that in theory if one drive gets screwed, I can just clone over the copy from the other SSD, to save having to reinstall, which takes ages.

The CMOS battery is new, as I replaced it just in case.
    The BIOS is updated a while back, and no new ones on offer on the Gigabyte site........it's an old board now.....lol
    So far I have not delved into the innards to check on capacitors.
    I have two sticks of Corsair memory, and will remove one, see what happens, if no difference, I will removed that, and put the other one back, and see what happens.

I will try HDTune and see what that comes up with.

I will also check Win 10 and boot that up, although I don't like having to use it all day..........it won't play my game properly....

Thank you both for your suggestions, and will make some time to try things out..........but at least I know everything works with the shutting down, switching of the RM550X, perhaps a couple of times so that everything is back to 'normal'

I might put back the HX850i and seem if the problem is still there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    I only run Windows 7 these days, because Windows 10 annoys me..........a lot

I have two sticks of Corsair memory, and will remove one, see what happens, if no difference, I will removed that, and put the other one back, and see what happens.
    MemTest 86+ is a better way to test RAM, for me it caught rare errors no matter what sticks I put in; turned out to be a particular slot and the motherboard needed replacing.

Resetting the BIOS to default might help, and turn off all over-clocking (if any)

One really needs to make the transition to Windows 10; it gets better month by month.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 04-07-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for that.....
    I will get MemTest, and give that a go.
    I run my i7 6700K at default speeds, as I reckon that is fast enough.
    Well, I will try to remember to boot up Win 10 and see if it behaves itself, and see if my game runs as it should, if not, it is restart and boot up Win 7......again..
    I dislike messing with the BIOS, but will hit the motherboard switch tomorrow to reset the BIOS, and see what happens....