Thread: Sleeve bearings

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Default Sleeve bearings

I am finally almost convinced that sleeve bearings are not the way to go. My Shop-vac and now Data-vac stared to squeal; the sleeve bearings needed oil. I suspect they were not given enough lubricant when built; I've oiled them back up and the problem is gone, but I don't know for how long.

I open up a lot of room fans and while there is normally an oil reservoir it is usually not filled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts

You're just now convinced of this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

I'm stubborn! you haven't noticed? ;-)

The thing is the sleeve bearings I have given oil to really seem to be lasting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

Hm, just got a Yate Loon D12SH. How's their reliability usually??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Hm, just got a Yate Loon D12SH. How's their reliability usually??
    I don't know about the D12SH, but I have a D14SL in service with my daughter. It has been there for years -- the fan even outlasted a motherboard. I kept 4 replacement fans that I got cheap when a vendor was liquidating his inventory. But this fan has gone maybe 8 years without touching it. Surprising, that. Haven't needed the spres. I guess some sleeve bearings last.

I won't say they will all last because Yate Loon is infamous for lousy QC. I recommend to people to buy two for every one they are installing -- half the fans click. But even buying two, it's cheaper than buying other fans.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    The thing is the sleeve bearings I have given oil to really seem to be lasting.
    They will last forever if you oil them at the first sound of trouble before the old oil gunks up. Have an old and mostly useless laptop from 2005 on a shelf that is still using original fans. Only had to oil them once and they lasted the life of the laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    I don't know about the D12SH, but I have a D14SL in service with my daughter. It has been there for years -- the fan even outlasted a motherboard. I kept 4 replacement fans that I got cheap when a vendor was liquidating his inventory. But this fan has gone maybe 8 years without touching it. Surprising, that. Haven't needed the spres. I guess some sleeve bearings last.

I won't say they will all last because Yate Loon is infamous for lousy QC. I recommend to people to buy two for every one they are installing -- half the fans click. But even buying two, it's cheaper than buying other fans.
    Yates last, but they develop clicking or tonals after awhile. But they're still good for use in a system stored in a closet or someplace where nobody has to listen to it.

A Noctua may cost three Yate Loons, but it seems that they will outlive all three YL fans bought sequentially. Have a couple 120mm Noctua fans bought in 2007 that have run 24/7 in various roles. Not had a single one fail or develop a problem so far, but I have a small pile of Cooler Master and Yate Loons that were too worn out for even a bit of oil to bring back to life. Seems like users should go with cheap sleeve fans and oil them, or spring for expensive hydro-bearing fans. Any sort of traditional ball bearing variety has a very finite lifespan that oiling does very little for extending.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
    They will last forever if you oil them at the first sound of trouble before the old oil gunks up. Have an old and mostly useless laptop from 2005 on a shelf that is still using original fans. Only had to oil them once and they lasted the life of the laptop.

This was my suspicion, although I dared not voice it directly.

Fully synthetic engine oil isn't going to gunk up and that is what I use.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 03-13-2019 at 02:38 PM.