Thread: Baffled by PSU problem, any suggestions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Baffled by PSU problem, any suggestions?

Hey All,

I'm at my wits end with this one and need some advice. I have a Lenovo Y720 Cube w/ i5-7400, 16gb GSKIL, and XFX RX480 8g running 2560x1440 on a 34" monitor. The original issue was that the computer shuts off randomly when playing WoW. It is very random in game, but usually hits when I'm in a raid and there is a lot going on graphically. I'm able to reproduce the problem by running Furmark at 2560x1440 resolution. Furmark runs fine at lower resolution, but as soon as I start the stress test at 1440p - shutdown within a half second. I've tried an identical XFX GPU and the original reference RX 480 that came with the cube as well. I've tried several driver versions as well.

I read about other people complaining about the factory AcBel PC7033 450w PSU, so I swapped the original for a brand new EVGS 450w PSU. Bingo, no crashes. Everything that caused crashes before is resolved. But...

...now there is a new problem. When the cube falls asleep, all fans off, power button blinking, it won't wake up with mouse or keyboard actions. The mouse or keyboard causes a brief flash of the case lights and fans, than it shuts off completely. I have to use the power button to wake it, and it is more like a reboot, than a wake from sleep. It takes longer, and it registers with Windows Reliability Monitor as an unexpected shutdown. Waking with the power button instead of the mouse or keyboard wakes it correctly. It is like the mouse or keyboard cause it to fail to wake, and then I have to revive it with the power button. I've tried other keyboards and mice, and different USB ports to no effect.

I assumed something was wrong with the PSU install, so I pulled and reinstalled it, no help. I removed the PSU and installed a larger Corsair TX650w to see if maybe there was something wrong with the EVGA, but the Corsair has the exact same problem. I thought maybe it was a setting in Windows, and since I was going to give the PC to my daughter, I went ahead and formatted and reinstalled windows. The problem persisted. I really feels like a hardware problem.

Last weekend, I reinstalled the factory AcBel 450w PSU and used the pc for a week - NO SLEEP / WAKE PROBLEM - but the crash when certain games or stress test are performed came back. After a week of good sleep/wake behavior, I reinstalled the EVGA 450w and now it works for all stress test, but the Sleep/wake problem came back.

I don't understand how the cheap factory AcBel PSU is the only one compatible with this hardware platform, and a good brand like EVGA and Corsair wont work.

Any thoughts from the forum???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was surprised to learn that many video cards are over-clocked and that ASUS have Corporate Stable Models (CSM) that are not over-clocked.

For example the ASUS GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 CSM
    Last edited by ashiekh; 1 Week Ago at 12:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glendor View Post
    EVGA 450w PSU
    Which one?

If it's the 80 PLUS White ("W") or the BT, those PSUs are super cheap, out-dated designs that should be avoided. If it's the BR or B3, I'm surprised it doesn't work.

Same with the TX650... which one? CMPSU-650TX? CMPSU-650TXV2? CP-9020038? Some of the models are too old to support the standby modes introduced with Haswell and newer Intel CPUs.
    Rest in peace Mike Clements, aka "Yellowbeard"

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Which one?

If it's the 80 PLUS White ("W") or the BT, those PSUs are super cheap, out-dated designs that should be avoided. If it's the BR or B3, I'm surprised it doesn't work.

Same with the TX650... which one? CMPSU-650TX? CMPSU-650TXV2? CP-9020038? Some of the models are too old to support the standby modes introduced with Haswell and newer Intel CPUs.
    The two I've tried are:
    Corsair TX650W CMPSU-650TX
    EVGA 450BT (can't see the exact model # without uninstalling it, but it is 80+ Bronze model.

Looks like I'm going to buy another PSU.

Thanks for getting back to me Jonny.

Glendor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glendor View Post
    The two I've tried are:
    Corsair TX650W CMPSU-650TX
    EVGA 450BT (can't see the exact model # without uninstalling it, but it is 80+ Bronze model.

Looks like I'm going to buy another PSU.

Thanks for getting back to me Jonny.

Glendor
    Yeah. None of those PSUs will work properly.

If looking at Corsair on a budget, get the CX (no "M") because it's LLC with DC to DC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amazon has several options in my budget (cheap):

How do the...
    Seasonic-SSR-500GB3 for $49

Gigabyte 500w GP-PB500 for $49

compare to the...

non-modular Corsair CX 450w CP-9020120-NA for $52
    Last edited by Glendor; 1 Week Ago at 04:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

The Gigabyte is going to put you in the same boat you're in now.

The S12III is new and I haven't seen any tear downs so I can't say.

Cheap PSUs are cheap for a reason. Stick with what's known to work instead of testing the waters with what's unknown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok. Just ordered the Corsair CX450 (non-modular) unit.