Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corsair AX850 Titanium Review@tomshardware

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Corsair AX850 Titanium Review@tomshardware

The Corsair AX850 is the best 850-watt PSU you can get,
    thanks to its high-efficiency and low noise levels, but you’ll pay a premium for it.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...-psu,5986.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cesium137 For This Useful Post:

Philipus II (03-13-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Congratulations on building such a marvelous PSU. I saw pictures of a lot of things in there labeled "Corsair."

Q's -- what is the lowest wattage version of the AX line? Are any lower-power versions due? How quiet are the lowest-power units?
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts

Unfortunately, it didn't cost any less than it cost to make the 850W to make any lower wattages, so 850W is the lowest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

This is the best 850W PSU? Don't know how many would agree with that. Do you, Jon, even agree with that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

That what the numbers says (relative performance) +quiet +build quality +working protections.
    Every PSU need time for mass testing.
    and as far I remember seasonic its the only company that don't send (cherry?) PSU's to reviewers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Unfortunately, it didn't cost any less than it cost to make the 850W to make any lower wattages, so 850W is the lowest.
    OK. I get it. But does Seasonic make a lower-wattage unit on the same platform as their 850W unit?
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    This is the best 850W PSU? Don't know how many would agree with that. Do you, Jon, even agree with that?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    OK. I get it. But does Seasonic make a lower-wattage unit on the same platform as their 850W unit?
    They also have a Prime Ultra Titanium in 650W and 750W.

Notice that Asus also only did a 850W and 1000W. And no, we weren't copying them. We didn't know about the Asus versions until Computex 2018 and we were already in PVT with these.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

What would you say is the best 850w then? HXi? Dark Power Pro? Leadex Titanium?
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Nope.
    Wow.. The hatred I'm getting.

I want to clear some things up because apparently someone is a bit "confused" about my take on this.

The AX is a GREAT unit. Always has been. Maybe I'm just playing with semantics by saying the PSU is "GREAT" and not "THE BEST".

The engineers at both Seasonic and Corsair worked really hard to get this unit as close to Corsair's requirements for performance (including required margins that need to be met in MP and not just DVT). If it wasn't worth it to work with Seasonic on a platform, then I (it was 99.9% my idea at Corsair) would have never bothered to engage in the first place because those resources are EXPENSIVE. You HAVE TO justify an ROI after spending two years (though it was only supposed to be one year) developing a product.

To say something is BEST is simply not a word you can just throw around anywhere. To say something is BEST, means it's better than EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE MARKET REGARDLESS OF THE STRENGTHS ANYTHING ELSE HAS. That includes digital control, any kind of monitoring or control, silence, fan quality (not always one in the same), power density, board layout, value... the list goes on and on. Some of these things are more important to some people than they are to others, so saying one product is "best" versus another can be subjective.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 03-15-2019 at 02:05 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

McSteel (03-14-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    What would you say is the best 850w then? HXi? Dark Power Pro? Leadex Titanium?
    I'm going to say HXi is "quite good". The fact that it pre-dates putting caps in the cables is a "bonus". Seriously.. that's a PSU that simply does not need a refresh any time soon.

Still not going to say "the best".

There is a platform out there that I quite like that is fully developed (made it through the DVT stage) from a tier 2. It was set forward by one of their customers, but then the customer only took one wattage.

I'm trying to chase it down, but if it's too expensive, the upper management will likely shoot it down.