Thread: What should I upgrade first?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What should I upgrade first?

Hello everyone,,,
    So I am currently running a Xeon 1231v3 with a Gtx1060 6gb and im looking to invest about 500 in new parts.

Im playing in 1080p @144hz mainly Counter Strike but also other popular AAA titles like battlefield. I am a big fan of watching videos on my second monitor while playing and Im currently having massive frame drops and stuttering in every game doing this and im not quite sure if this is a GPU or CPU related problem.

I have been looking at the I5 9600k as well as the Ryzen 2700X and with a decent motherboard and 16 GB of DDR4 Ram it would fit my budget fairly well. If my GPU is currently bottlenecking, I would be looking at a used 1080 maybe 1080ti or a 2070. But im not quite sure what really is the bottleneck in my pc and i would apprechiate some help. I should also mention that I currently have 3 1080p monitors running which probably is fairly heavy on my graphics card right?

Also im quite concerned about the 3000series Ryzen CPUs coming this year which are supposedly worth the wait. Thank you in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get a mouse bungee to while you're at it after upgrading your PC. these bungees are lit https://appuals.com/best-mouse-bungees/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

If things are fine without watching videos, get a tiny machine for the videos; i.e. separate the tasks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baskyabhai View Post
    Also im quite concerned about the 3000series Ryzen CPUs coming this year which are supposedly worth the wait.
    Announcement is expected to be end of next month at the keynote of Computex...
    It looks like Motherboard Manufacturers are preparing for those CPU right now and have announced BIOS versions supporting Ryzen 3000 for next month as well...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you try to put the 2nd monitor on the built-in graphics card if it has? if it's for watching some movies / games you should try it, so you're 1060 gtx can only be used by the other monitor for gaming / etc. Did is what I do so to boost my fps so my 1060gtx 3gb can only be used my only one monitor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baskyabhai View Post
    Hello everyone,,,
    So I am currently running a Xeon 1231v3 with a Gtx1060 6gb and im looking to invest about 500 in new parts.

Im playing in 1080p @144hz mainly Counter Strike but also other popular AAA titles like battlefield. I am a big fan of watching videos on my second monitor while playing and Im currently having massive frame drops and stuttering in every game doing this and im not quite sure if this is a GPU or CPU related problem.

I have been looking at the I5 9600k as well as the Ryzen 2700X and with a decent motherboard and 16 GB of DDR4 Ram it would fit my budget fairly well. If my GPU is currently bottlenecking, I would be looking at a used 1080 maybe 1080ti or a 2070. But im not quite sure what really is the bottleneck in my pc and i would apprechiate some help. I should also mention that I currently have 3 1080p monitors running which probably is fairly heavy on my graphics card right?

Also im quite concerned about the 3000series Ryzen CPUs coming this year which are supposedly worth the wait. Thank you in advance.
    Sorry, but it's a kind strange that you watch some videos while playing the game. As for me, it's a bit weird. You either play a game or watch a movie. Because it's not an excuse to have a second monitor. Also, for which purpose you want to upgrade your PC? If the main purpose is to play some games than I would suggest buying Intel i7, not i5. Moreover, 16 GB is not enough if you want to build a longlasting PC. Sorry if my message was a bit offended.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

...heh. ive noticed the same. game runs fine but i get frame lags in videos if i try to watch. some bottleneck occurring. or it is software related no idea. i thought it might be related to the internet as i was playing an online fps while trying to stream video at the same time. so....it is one or the other not concurrently. unfortunately for me. ...i believe there maybe a software or settings fix for it.