Thread: Best Upgrade from SF Leadex Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best Upgrade from SF Leadex Gold

Hello, sorry I am new here, I don't think i have seen the mega question thread, so I posted a new discussion instead.
    if there's a mega thread, please point me there.

I have current PC with :
    1x Intel i5 4670
    1x MSI GTX 570
    2x 16gb RAM DDR4
    4x be quite silent wings 3
    1x samsung 970 EVO SSD
    3x 2TB Seagate HDD
    1x 4TB Seagatte HDD
    1x Super Flower Leadex Gold 550W

I will upgrade my PC to :
    1x Intel i9-7920x or AMD 2950X (depending which one available at the time I go to store)
    1x RTX 2080
    4x 32gb RAM
    and those storage drives

I am not overclocker, I play nice and save

Should I keep my Leadex Gold?
    Or should I upgrade it?

this link point to my local shop https://www.enterkomputer.com/psu.php
    items in ready stock label are preferred,
    if there are anything better with no ready stock label, it is okay to choose, i'll take my time to wait pre-order time if it's really that good.
    max budget will be IDR 2,000,000ish (under 2,000,000 is preferred but if it's that good, then 2,999,999 is my limit)

Thank you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

If you upgrade the CPU, you're gonna have to upgrade the motherboard as well. Also, both CPUs would require a good cooler, ideally water based.

I don't see how you say you're gonna pick one cpu depending on what's available... you can't just flip a coin. The 2950x requires a TR4 motherboard, and not all of them are ATX, some are extended ATX ... make sure your case has enough room to fit an Extended motherboard (if you decide on one)

As for 7920x, it would require a socket 2066 motherboard also, and your upgrade choices are more limited but the CPU would probably slightly better for gaming compared to 2950x.

Also keep in mind that some of these motherboards require 2 8pin EPS connectors to work, and some 650w power supplies (or smaller) have only one EPS connector.

The 2950x would consume up to around 180-250 watts (7920x would be around 160-190w), the RXT 2080 would also consume up to around 250 watts ... all the other components will probably consume around 50w so you'd just about be good with a very high quality 650w psu, but it would make more sense to go with 750w.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gettherefast View Post
    4x 32gb RAM
    You really need 128GB of RAM?

Each 32GB stick costs about as much as you are willing to spend on the power supply.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 03-01-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mariush View Post
    If you upgrade the CPU, you're gonna have to upgrade the motherboard as well. Also, both CPUs would require a good cooler, ideally water based.

I don't see how you say you're gonna pick one cpu depending on what's available... you can't just flip a coin. The 2950x requires a TR4 motherboard, and not all of them are ATX, some are extended ATX ... make sure your case has enough room to fit an Extended motherboard (if you decide on one)

As for 7920x, it would require a socket 2066 motherboard also, and your upgrade choices are more limited but the CPU would probably slightly better for gaming compared to 2950x.

Also keep in mind that some of these motherboards require 2 8pin EPS connectors to work, and some 650w power supplies (or smaller) have only one EPS connector.

The 2950x would consume up to around 180-250 watts (7920x would be around 160-190w), the RXT 2080 would also consume up to around 250 watts ... all the other components will probably consume around 50w so you'd just about be good with a very high quality 650w psu, but it would make more sense to go with 750w.
    I'm fully aware of that.
    Last time I asked the store, i9-7920x + Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX (LGA 2066, X299, DDR4) combo is not ready.
    and 2900x + Asus ROG Zenith Extreme (TR4 ,AMD Promontory X399, DDR4, USB3.1, SATA3) combo too.
    i have to wait 2-5 days to know which one available first.

is Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 750GD - 750W Full Modular - 80+ Gold Certified - 12 Years Warranty Replacement
    good enough?

good cooler eh? which one would you recommend?
    i heard corsair offer full computer replacement if their radiator goes south?

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    You really need 128GB of RAM?

Each 32GB stick costs about as much as you are willing to spend on the power supply.
    oh sorry!, i mean 4x16GB ram or 2x32 GB ram. 128gigs of ram would be overkill since I only use 40gigs or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

A longtime ago I seem to recall someone running an Intel CPU and AMD CPU without any heatsink;
    the Intel survived by shutting down, the AMD burned itself out. Anyone know if this is still the case?

I hate liquid cooling and recall the Mac G5 systems leaking.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 03-01-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best option in IDR 2,000,000-2,999,999 price range for me is Corsair HX750 Platinum, or HX850i if you want Corsair Link capability. Not saying that Seasonic is worse, but I'm currently having crisis of confidence with them.

If you want to go cheap without losing sleep time, Deepcool DQ850-M is a viable choice too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Hello, sorry I am new here, I don't think i have seen the mega question thread.
    Mega thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    A longtime ago I seem to recall someone running an Intel CPU and AMD CPU without any heatsink;
    the Intel survived by shutting down, the AMD burned itself out. Anyone know if this is still the case?

I hate liquid cooling and recall the Mac G5 systems leaking.
    All modern processors will survive if you start the pc without a cooler.

Back then, AMD processors burnt out because they had no metal heat spreader on them and because they had fewer internal "over-temperature" protections, if any. With AMD processors, you used to put the heatsink directly on the silicon die, and the only protection against chipping the dies or cracking them were some shims or rubber spacers.
    This resulted in much better heat transfer, and cheaper processors (because you had no heat spreader and thermal material between die and heat spreader) but resulted in more broken processors due to bad heatsink installation.

Nowadays, the processors have enough protections built in that they'll turn off as soon as temperatures exceed some thresholds. They also throttle frequencies and/or turn off cores in order to keep temperatures below some thresholds, if the temperatures go high enough (typically above 80-90 degrees for the latest processors).
    However, often when you just turn on the PC and go in BIOS, the CPU is not "initialized" completely so that power management and throttling/core shutdown features are not active, which means only the "shut off completely if temperature above some threshold" is (permanently, always) active. So while in BIOS, the pc may shut down completely within let's say 10 seconds, but if you manage to boot into Windows in less than that amount and have the CPU initialize its power management, you may be able to have the system run for more than 10s, with all the cores running at less than 1ghz and so on...

I'm fully aware of that.
    Last time I asked the store, i9-7920x + Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX (LGA 2066, X299, DDR4) combo is not ready.
    and 2900x + Asus ROG Zenith Extreme (TR4 ,AMD Promontory X399, DDR4, USB3.1, SATA3) combo too.
    i have to wait 2-5 days to know which one available first.

is Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 750GD - 750W Full Modular - 80+ Gold Certified - 12 Years Warranty Replacement
    good enough?

good cooler eh? which one would you recommend?

oh sorry!, i mean 4x16GB ram or 2x32 GB ram. 128gigs of ram would be overkill since I only use 40gigs or so.

@gettherefast, you don't need so super high end motherboards for your system, why don't you try to move some money around and allocate them to more critical parts?

You don't need to spend 6-700$ on an Asus ROG Zenith Extreme when you would have a perfectly stable and fast system with a 300-500$ motherboard.

The Zenith Extreme is good board, but you don't really need it... you pay more for 10gbps ethernet, the ddr style slot in which you plug m.2 SSDs, maybe some extra usb 3.1 gen 2 (10gbps) ports... and probably more overclocking features in the bios, but you say you're not gonna overclock much. Most TR4 boards have 3 or more M.2 connectors directly on the board, you don't need fancy slot for m.2 connectors, and if you'll need 10gbps, you can always buy later a 10gbps ethernet card for around 70$... after all you have plenty of pci-e x16 slots to plug cards in.

You could do quite well with something cheaper, like a 280$ GIGABYTE X399 AORUS PRO for example: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...09&ignorebbr=1
    ASRock X399 Taichi is also nice, a bit more expensive but it has built in Wifi as well : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...85&ignorebbr=1

These are also ATX boards, so they'll work in regular cases, though you'd probably want some bigger ATX or EATX cases, in case you want to add the water cooling radiator and not kill yourself with cable management.

As for cooling TR4, you MUST buy cooler or water AIO with TR4 compatibility, because the surface of the chip is much larger than regular cpus in regular sockets.
    If you want to stay with air cooling, Noctua has decent coolers, which even allow for some overclocking. See Noctua nh-u14s-tr4-sp3 : https://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s-tr4-sp3 - Here's amazon link: https://amzn.to/2SAxDYp

Watercooling, I don't have much experience with it.. and I know some early Liqtech coolers had some issues and were recalled (the latest versions should be fine now) and some Corsair models used to say they're TR4 compatible but only if you order separately an adapter bracket which wasn't in stock for a long time (not sure which actual models had this issue), so I'm not sure what to recommend
    I would probably try the EVGA CLC 240 or CLC280, they seem to be of decent quality, followed by Corsair H115i (after carefully checking reviews on Youtube to make sure it includes the TR4 brackets and everything in the box ) and maybe others with good ratings, see newegg list and reviews on Youtube for them.

Also, have you considered NOT buying from local stores and waiting for them to have something in stock? IF you spend so much money, can you really not afford to spend 50$ on shipping from Amazon or other sells that ship to your country, if you're gonna save much more by buying something not available locally?
    Doesn't Amazon ship to your country? Would you have problems with customs, paying VAT and other taxes? Do packages get "lost" in your country?

RAM .... both systems can do quad channel, so they'd benefit from installing ram in groups of 4.
    So my advice would be to go with either 4 x 16 GB sticks, or with 8 x 8 GB sticks.
    Keep in mind that at least on AMD platform, there is some benefit to higher frequencies, and the 2950x supports higher frequency memory sticks, like let's say 3200 Mhz. BUT, the more memory sticks you use, the harder it would be for the processor to work with memory at those higher frequencies.
    What I'm trying to say is that if you decide to go with 8 x 8 GB sticks rated for 3200 Mhz, you may find out that the processor has a really hard time running with them at 3200 Mhz and you may have to configure them for 3000 Mhz in order to be perfectly, 100% stable. Intel platform may behave the same way.
    So keeping this in mind, you could save even more money by simply buying 2933 Mhz or 3000 Mhz from the start if that's your decision.

Basically, here's some example:

I can buy 2 kits , of 2 x 16 GB G.Skill Sniper X DDR4-3200 for 216$ each , so 430$ in total, and I have 64 GB of memory running at 3200 Mhz.
    But, I could also buy 4 kits of 2 x 8 GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3000 for 91$ each, so 364$ ... and I save around 66$ .... I lose 200 Mhz but there's ~ 25-50% chance I wouldn't have been able to run 8 sticks at 3200 Mhz anyway, and I also lose the ability to add more ram in the future, but I save more than 50$
    Last edited by mariush; 03-02-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pesekcuy View Post
    The best option in IDR 2,000,000-2,999,999 price range for me is Corsair HX750 Platinum, or HX850i if you want Corsair Link capability. Not saying that Seasonic is worse, but I'm currently having crisis of confidence with them.

If you want to go cheap without losing sleep time, Deepcool DQ850-M is a viable choice too.
    Okay noted.
    Could you elaborate with confidence crisis? are they cheating the specsheet? or what?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Mega thread?
    yup. some of forums I know do not allow to post new discussion, all discussion related to some topic can only be posted on their mega thread respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by mariush View Post
    @gettherefast, you don't need so super high end motherboards for your system, why don't you try to move some money around and allocate them to more critical parts?

You don't need to spend 6-700$ on an Asus ROG Zenith Extreme when you would have a perfectly stable and fast system with a 300-500$ motherboard.

The Zenith Extreme is good board, but you don't really need it... you pay more for 10gbps ethernet, the ddr style slot in which you plug m.2 SSDs, maybe some extra usb 3.1 gen 2 (10gbps) ports... and probably more overclocking features in the bios, but you say you're not gonna overclock much. Most TR4 boards have 3 or more M.2 connectors directly on the board, you don't need fancy slot for m.2 connectors, and if you'll need 10gbps, you can always buy later a 10gbps ethernet card for around 70$... after all you have plenty of pci-e x16 slots to plug cards in.

You could do quite well with something cheaper, like a 280$ GIGABYTE X399 AORUS PRO for example: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...09&ignorebbr=1
    ASRock X399 Taichi is also nice, a bit more expensive but it has built in Wifi as well : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...85&ignorebbr=1

These are also ATX boards, so they'll work in regular cases, though you'd probably want some bigger ATX or EATX cases, in case you want to add the water cooling radiator and not kill yourself with cable management.

As for cooling TR4, you MUST buy cooler or water AIO with TR4 compatibility, because the surface of the chip is much larger than regular cpus in regular sockets.
    If you want to stay with air cooling, Noctua has decent coolers, which even allow for some overclocking. See Noctua nh-u14s-tr4-sp3 : https://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s-tr4-sp3 - Here's amazon link: https://amzn.to/2SAxDYp

Watercooling, I don't have much experience with it.. and I know some early Liqtech coolers had some issues and were recalled (the latest versions should be fine now) and some Corsair models used to say they're TR4 compatible but only if you order separately an adapter bracket which wasn't in stock for a long time (not sure which actual models had this issue), so I'm not sure what to recommend
    I would probably try the EVGA CLC 240 or CLC280, they seem to be of decent quality, followed by Corsair H115i (after carefully checking reviews on Youtube to make sure it includes the TR4 brackets and everything in the box ) and maybe others with good ratings, see newegg list and reviews on Youtube for them.

Also, have you considered NOT buying from local stores and waiting for them to have something in stock? IF you spend so much money, can you really not afford to spend 50$ on shipping from Amazon or other sells that ship to your country, if you're gonna save much more by buying something not available locally?
    Doesn't Amazon ship to your country? Would you have problems with customs, paying VAT and other taxes? Do packages get "lost" in your country?

RAM .... both systems can do quad channel, so they'd benefit from installing ram in groups of 4.
    So my advice would be to go with either 4 x 16 GB sticks, or with 8 x 8 GB sticks.
    Keep in mind that at least on AMD platform, there is some benefit to higher frequencies, and the 2950x supports higher frequency memory sticks, like let's say 3200 Mhz. BUT, the more memory sticks you use, the harder it would be for the processor to work with memory at those higher frequencies.
    What I'm trying to say is that if you decide to go with 8 x 8 GB sticks rated for 3200 Mhz, you may find out that the processor has a really hard time running with them at 3200 Mhz and you may have to configure them for 3000 Mhz in order to be perfectly, 100% stable. Intel platform may behave the same way.
    So keeping this in mind, you could save even more money by simply buying 2933 Mhz or 3000 Mhz from the start if that's your decision.

Basically, here's some example:

I can buy 2 kits , of 2 x 16 GB G.Skill Sniper X DDR4-3200 for 216$ each , so 430$ in total, and I have 64 GB of memory running at 3200 Mhz.
    But, I could also buy 4 kits of 2 x 8 GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3000 for 91$ each, so 364$ ... and I save around 66$ .... I lose 200 Mhz but there's ~ 25-50% chance I wouldn't have been able to run 8 sticks at 3200 Mhz anyway, and I also lose the ability to add more ram in the future, but I save more than 50$
    Okay,noted. Maybe should I wait for x399 boards to come? it is not ready stock yet.

I don't know though, I read on several source that better board means better security for both electricity and hardware lifetime.
    And i want this PC last maybe a decade, because this sum of money cost me a fortune. will try to ask some of my friend tho.

I would never want to import anymore.
    Last time I imported a laptop, it costs usd300 more expensive than retail price here.
    not to mention shipping sucks, yea it is 3 days from US to ID, but it took 3 weeks in customs only, and another 10 days from customs to my home.
    so i will only pre-order or only purchase a ready stock one.

Now, could we please get back to PSU before I go to the store?
    as pesekcuy state corsair HX 850i or Deepcool DQ850-M are both viable choice.

Thanks to everybody involved, I will go to the store on wednesday, wish me luck