Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting a Vega 56 to run stable on a SF600 platinum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Corsair finally approved my RMA. New PSU is scheduled to be in my hands Friday. Hopefully I can report back over the weekend if a different unit fixed the issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smitty2k1 View Post
    I started playing Destiny 2. Unfortunately, something about Destiny 2 is causing the OCP to trip on the SF600 platinum.
    Is there something special to know?
    When exactly does it happen in Destiny 2?

I also own Forsaken and plan on mayb getting a VEGA and like to know more about it, when it happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure there's an issue with the Vega 56 running certain games. Certain games aren't playable as they crash. I believe AMD is working on a fix with new drivers...

I'd go with the 1660 TI long before I went with the Vega which has been known to have issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    I'm pretty sure there's an issue with the Vega 56 running certain games. Certain games aren't playable as they crash. I believe AMD is working on a fix with new drivers...

I'd go with the 1660 TI long before I went with the Vega which has been known to have issues.
    What are those "certain games"??
    What are those "issues"??

You know that Problems happen on both sides and nVidia Users are also reporting Problems with "certain games/drivers"???

Could we stop with the Driver flames?? Because that's totally overblown and just not true.
    Both are equally shitty...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Is there something special to know?
    When exactly does it happen in Destiny 2?

I also own Forsaken and plan on mayb getting a VEGA and like to know more about it, when it happens.
    Destiny 2 is just a game I have that seems to tax my system more than any other game I play. If the power limit setting on my Vega was set above "-15" (power saver) it would eventually crash. Almost certainly this was causing the OCP to trip on the power supply, as it did the same thing on my Silverstone SX650 too. Silverstone made some change to the OCP and sent me a new unit that did not cause the trip. My RMA'd unit from Corsair is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so we will see if it also fixes this issue.

Both the SF600 and SX650 could run Prime95+Furmark all day long and I believe that drew more power than just playing Destiny, so it shouldn't have been an overall capacity issue with the PSUs.

There seems to be a more widespread issue with how the Vega cards draw power. I believe Seasonic (or was it a different manufacturer?) released a statement about it. I don't think it is related to drivers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There seems to be a more widespread issue with how the Vega cards draw power. I believe Seasonic (or was it a different manufacturer?) released a statement about it. I don't think it is related to drivers.
    https://bit-tech.net/news/tech/psus/...lity-issues/1/ ?
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No, just in general. I could be remembering something wrong, I did a lot of Google searching over the recent months with all these issues I've been having.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Destiny 2 is just a game I have that seems to tax my system more than any other game I play. If the power limit setting on my Vega was set above "-15" (power saver) it would eventually crash.
    Anywhere special?
    The Traveller?? In a Strike?
    Radeon Chill on or off?

My VEGA 64 (Nitro) should arrive tomrorrow (or rather is to arrive if nothing goes wrong as it is in the mail and DHL usually is able to move it from Bremen to me overnight).

Both the SF600 and SX650 could run Prime95+Furmark all day long and I believe that drew more power than just playing Destiny, so it shouldn't have been an overall capacity issue with the PSUs.
    Furmark these days is total nonsense as it does nothing hard for the CPU, it only rapes the voltage regulators and the Graphics chip.

Because it doesn't cause tranisents, only max. Power Load.

Personally I never used Furmark for that reason and rather tested with Prime + Heaven max. Load.

A better programm to test (to my knowledge) is the older 3DMark 06, wich can cause even older systems to crash under certain situations and thus test the PSU better than furmark.
    Its not only VEGA its a couple of other Cards for example MSI 1080ti.
    But its a recurring problem in GPUs, the first ones to not give a shit about PSU was IIRC the Geforce GTX280.

Yeah, but they "forgot" for example the MSI 1080ti and possibly other graphics card as well.
    So the list is very incomplete at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You need a pretty capable PSU to torture vega64 with increased power limit (and OCed) with furmark Especially if you have an OCed ocata-core system running prim95 at the same time
    Anyway, vega crashing/not being capable to run some games is more or less bullshit unless there is something wrong with the hardware or software. As Stefan said there are a few PSUs having problems with transient loads, but this isn't a Vega specific issue, some nvidia cards are causing that as well.
    R7 1700x @3,95
    Geil EVO x 16gb ddr4 3200
    Asus Prime x370 pro
    Vega 64
    500GB Samsung 970 pro
    Corsair RM1000i
    EKWB watercooling (cpu+gpu)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just circling back around - the PSU I received from the RMA seems to be working fine. I only got to boot up Destiny2 and run around for a few minutes but so far it was stable with the Vega power limit set to +50%.

I'll report back if I encounter any issues in the coming weeks/months!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to smitty2k1 For This Useful Post:

Jon Gerow (03-02-2019)