Thread: Specific Need, small wattage and reliable fan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Specific Need, small wattage and reliable fan

Have a Chenbro server chassis that came with a bad FSB bronze power supply. Don't have time to RMA.

My only two requirements are that it's at least 80+ and has a non-sleeve bearing fan. It's standard sized ATX btw. The lesser the connectors the better. This server needs 24 pin, 4 pin CPU, and two molex for the hard drive cage and that's it.

Thanks in advance.

Faulty PSU... http://prntscr.com/mgzk4r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

That's from a server case? Since when does a server case come with a cheap, group regulated PSU with a sleeve bearing fan? I've seen better PSUs sold with chassis at the Chinese street markets.

If you want a limited number of connectors installed, or be able to control what connectors are installed, you should get something fully modular. But that's going to cost more.

If you want something smaller and fully modular, get an SFX PSU with an adapter bracket. But that's going to cost even more.

We don't know what your budget is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    That's from a server case? Since when does a server case come with a cheap, group regulated PSU with a sleeve bearing fan? I've seen better PSUs sold with chassis at the Chinese street markets.

If you want a limited number of connectors installed, or be able to control what connectors are installed, you should get something fully modular. But that's going to cost more.

If you want something smaller and fully modular, get an SFX PSU with an adapter bracket. But that's going to cost even more.

We don't know what your budget is.
    I believe the original fan is a ball bearing. At least it's on the sticker I took a picture of. Server is a loose term in this case. It's more of a DIY NAS case that we are using for low cost custom servers that will run server essentials. Budget is whatever. Just want something that will give longevity. So Fan was my main concern. This box will probably sit and draw 30-40 watts it's entire life and will never see 100 watts. Right now we have an Antec Earthwatts 380w in it's place. It's one with an 80mm side blowing fan. Would prefer a 120mm downward blower.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So a little update... Swapped to the Antec 380 earthwatts yesterday and it was rock solid stable all day. This morning, I decided to disable all CPU C states and try the old power supply again. So far the old unit allowed me to install server OS and run for an hour or so 100% stable. I had no idea the non-haswell compatible PSU could cause immediate instability. I thought it hurt the longevity of the motherboard/components.

Thanks for that tip JG, I would have had no clue this was a group regulated unit.

Will this be perfectly fine with the C states disabled?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jayjr1105 View Post
    Would prefer a 120mm downward blower.
    For the record, 120mm+ fans in PSUs suck air into the PSU. They don't blow out.

Thanks for that tip JG, I would have had no clue this was a group regulated unit.

Will this be perfectly fine with the C states disabled?
    Should be perfectly fine. When you said it was "bad", I immediately assumed you meant "dead". But certainly "incompatible" is a word we can use here.

Disabling sleep states so the mobo doesn't crossload the PSU is perfectly reasonable.

Glad to hear it has a DBB fan as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the record, 120mm+ fans in PSUs suck air into the PSU. They don't blow out.
    When I said downward blowing, I meant down toward the PCB of the power supply. Sorry if I made that unclear.

Should be perfectly fine. When you said it was "bad", I immediately assumed you meant "dead". But certainly "incompatible" is a word we can use here.

Disabling sleep states so the mobo doesn't crossload the PSU is perfectly reasonable.

Glad to hear it has a DBB fan as well.
    By bad I meant very unstable. Which in the end turned out to be the group regulation mixed with all C states enabled. I had no idea it could cause issues like that so quickly into its life. I always heard group regulated supply's just put unsafe voltages (low or high) into your system board, shortening it's life. It's a server so all C states being off is actually preferred by us techs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

By bad I meant very unstable. Which in the end turned out to be the group regulation mixed with all C states enabled. I had no idea it could cause issues like that so quickly into its life. I always heard group regulated supply's just put unsafe voltages (low or high) into your system board, shortening it's life. It's a server so all C states being off is actually preferred by us techs.
    The voltages only go haywire if you crossload the PSU. The C states crossload the PSU causing the voltages to go haywire and the system to become unstable.