Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: CES 2019 PSU thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    689
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    468
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default CES 2019 PSU thread

    The CES is here, and I'm quite confident we will have a lot of new releases, so it's a good idea to create a thread to publish them all.




    Cooler Master Announces V Platinum and XG Gold Advanced Power Supplies

    https://www.techpowerup.com/251268/c...power-supplies

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to breixobaloca For This Useful Post:

    Philipus II (01-07-2019)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    22
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Since nowday nearly no one use SLI/Crossfire, why they keep building PSU with so many watts?
    I would like to see more premium PSU for 450 to 650W since with that you can buy a ryzen 2700 with a 2080ti, both overclocked.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Germany, Berlin
    Posts
    1,550
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    905
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    So Cooler Master is actually going with Delta. Antec HCP was awesome, but it's rather outdated now.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    26
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Antec HCP was awesome, outdated or not, the numbers are still excellent; would hold well to this day. I wonder how much improvement a new design would bring

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    15,509
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    501
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    44
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansem1 View Post
    I would like to see more premium PSU for 450 to 650W since with that you can buy a ryzen 2700 with a 2080ti, both overclocked.

    Really? Would you be willing to pay the same for the 650W than you could get an 850W for too?

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    22
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Really? Would you be willing to pay the same for the 650W than you could get an 850W for too?
    There are usually not much difference in price for the same series between a psu and the next one for wattage.
    It would be normal for the 850W to cost 20/50€ more than the 650W.

    Since I have 700/800€ of computer I think that 100/130€ for the PSU are fine.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    15,509
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    501
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    44
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansem1 View Post
    There are usually not much difference in price for the same series between a psu and the next one for wattage.
    It would be normal for the 850W to cost 20/50€ more than the 650W.

    Since I have 700/800€ of computer I think that 100/130€ for the PSU are fine.
    Wrong.

    Not on a higher end product when you have to hit certain performance metrics.

    On a lower end product, it's easier because you can use cheaper, lower power components and the performance hit is minimal because it's not too demanding to begin with.

    Know why there's no Corsair HX650? Because it doesn't cost any less to make than an HX750.

    Know why there's no Corsair AX750? Because it doesn't cost any less to make than an AX850.

    Did you know that the TX750 and TX850 from Chicony were actually the same PSU with different labels because it cost more to source different components to make two wattages than to just double up on the components needed to build both together?

    There are some "exceptions", but what those companies are doing is making their low wattage, high performance PSUs "loss leaders". They'll make only 5 to 10% margin on a 550W or 650W but make 15 to 20% margin on a 750W or 850W. But the actual cost to produce is very much the same.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    22
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Wrong.

    Not on a higher end product when you have to hit certain performance metrics.

    On a lower end product, it's easier because you can use cheaper, lower power components and the performance hit is minimal because it's not too demanding to begin with.

    Know why there's no Corsair HX650? Because it doesn't cost any less to make than an HX750.

    Know why there's no Corsair AX750? Because it doesn't cost any less to make than an AX850.

    Did you know that the TX750 and TX850 from Chicony were actually the same PSU with different labels because it cost more to source different components to make two wattages than to just double up on the components needed to build both together?

    There are some "exceptions", but what those companies are doing is making their low wattage, high performance PSUs "loss leaders". They'll make only 5 to 10% margin on a 550W or 650W but make 15 to 20% margin on a 750W or 850W. But the actual cost to produce is very much the same.
    Since you're talking about corsair: what about SF450,600 and 750? They are 80 plus Platinum and still with a normal wattage.

    I'm 100% for smaller PSU if they can keep quality, noise and temperature on part with classic ATX PSU

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    947
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    317
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    I'm loving that +12V heatsink, go Cooler Master!

    The built-in Thermal Regulation Mode (TRM) of the V Platinum regulates the temperature of the PSU by slowly increasing the fan speed when temperatures increase
    I wonder what other innovative technologies have they implemented? Do they have cutting-edge stuff such as Active PFC? 🤔

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,093
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    367
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    17
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by breixobaloca View Post

    Cooler Master Announces V Platinum and XG Gold Advanced Power Supplies

    https://www.techpowerup.com/251268/c...power-supplies
    Nice, I see this one has better performace (black tape!!!11)

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I'm loving that +12V heatsink, go Cooler Master!
    It's the same as the Antec HCP Pro 1300W.
    https://www.kitguru.net/components/p...-psu-review/4/

Similar Threads

  1. Always looking to buy something thread :)
    By MC FLMJIG in forum For Sale/Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 01:37 AM
  2. another best psu thread
    By ianm2 in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-20-2008, 03:46 PM
  3. Hi Another I need PSU help Thread
    By JJthomz in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 12:41 PM
  4. first thread....
    By ianm2 in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-26-2006, 06:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •