Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATX is outdated garbage, and needs a modern replacement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mariush View Post
    I suppose it could be changed to 12v stand-by (for higher efficiency) …
    I have some old HP computers (HP Compaq 8000) that use 12V only (including 12V standby)

I believe they are from around 2010, and the BTX idea was around 2004; so attempts to break out of the ATX mold seems to have fallen by the wayside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 01-07-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

You'd still need 5v for sata but they could make cable strips with dc-dc converter on them
    You could have a bunch of 2x2 connectors (2x12v and 2xgnd) ...
    strip of molex or sata, one conn.
    2 x pci-e 6+2pin .. use 3 connectors, eps or atx12v 4-4 .. 2 connectors each

12v 5v dc-dc converter on cable strip adds cost let's say 3-4$ per cable ...
    just sell psu with just 1x3 molex/sata or 2 1x3 molex/sata strips... anything extra buy as accessory,
    and since it's plain 2x2 headers on psu case you can reuse cables between psus.

use same 2x2 style but maybe different connector series for 20v, to prevent confusionconnectors
    maybe have connector companies agree to make one series royalty, free , open etc
    worst case same mini-fit jr as now but keyed differently, for 20v ...

eventually if needed, could have strips with 20v in and dual 5v/12v converters for molex sata strip
    As everyone moves cpu and video cards and fans (24v fans running at 20v for ex.) and other stuff to 20v,
    psus could reduce number of 2x2 12v connectors and put more 2x2 20v connectors
    leave just enough for eps 2 + 1 x pci-e 8pin (2) 1 strip sata/molex (1) so a total of 5or 6 2x2 headers for backwards compatibility.
    Last edited by mariush; 01-07-2019 at 05:44 PM. Reason: site crashed on me as i posted this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mariush View Post
    You'd still need 5v for sata ...
    As I said above, my HP tower power supply is 12V only (the SATA drives are powered off the mother board).

Backward compatibility is not a good idea if 'ATX is outdated garbage, and needs a modern replacement'
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 01-08-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere but mSATA and basically everything m.2 runs off 3.3v currently. It's why the SATA power connector carries 3.3v too. PCI-E slots also supply 3.3v for those devices which use it.

May not be heavily used but it is still used.

In this HP I'm looking at it's basically 12V but it's motherboard has a bunch of added power conversion parts to get the lesser voltages. So that power has to come from somewhere and it means space used and components needed. Is it easier to run from the PSU or should it be relegated to the motherboard?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamefoo21 View Post
    I didn't see this mentioned anywhere but mSATA and basically everything m.2 runs off 3.3v currently. It's why the SATA power connector carries 3.3v too. PCI-E slots also supply 3.3v for those devices which use it.

May not be heavily used but it is still used.

In this HP I'm looking at it's basically 12V but it's motherboard has a bunch of added power conversion parts to get the lesser voltages. So that power has to come from somewhere and it means space used and components needed. Is it easier to run from the PSU or should it be relegated to the motherboard?
    That's what is being proposed. Put all the DC to DC on the motherboard. Have the ATX PSU only output +12V to the board.

Nobody implied that the whole PC should only run off of +12V.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamefoo21 View Post
    Low voltage does not travel well (larger losses), so it is better to generate the 3.3 and 5V close to where it will be used. RAM and CPU work at lower than 3.3V so there are already converters onboard; might as well just deliver 12V

This will also give rise to better regulation by reducing the voltage drops.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 02-06-2019 at 03:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I fear after the BTX Fail intel has no more interest and we have to live with ATX very long.
    As with Molex, how old is the part 60 years?
    best regards
    Tinpoint

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Part of the problem might be not knowing in what direction PCs are heading; high power or low.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Part of the problem might be not knowing in what direction PCs are heading; high power or low.
    That doesn't really matter as its still cheaper to make it more for higher power consumption and still have less pins than you have right now...
    My Calculation is a bit above, but the big OEMs use like 6-8pin connectors with only 12V to the MoBO. Some even an additional for PSON and PWR_OK and so on.

For example:
    https://www.dell.com/support/manuals...a1f&lang=en-us

That is a 12V Only system (maybe 5VSB, though not sure)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    But can it run Crysis?
    Well it CAAAAAaaaAAaAaAaNN sorta kinda maybe run Crysis - if you're VERY patient:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnU6ENJtRGg