Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 73

Thread: Seasonic S12III (3) appears... DC-DC finally?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    14
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    I bet the 450w model and possibly 500w model are group regulated.
    Otherwise Seasonic would use "DC-DC converters!" as a marketing point, noticing how they include "double forward converter design".

    Looks like a different internal design.

    The lack of OTP and OCP is also disappointing. Every power supply should have OCP on atleast the minor rails. This unit probably uses the same old 8-pin HY-510N protection IC.

    At the moment the Corsair CX still looks the better option.
    We'll just have to wait some months for reviews.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    114
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexper View Post
    I bet the 450w model and possibly 500w model are group regulated.
    Otherwise Seasonic would use "DC-DC converters!" as a marketing point, noticing how they include "double forward converter design".

    Looks like a different internal design.

    The lack of OTP and OCP is also disappointing. Every power supply should have OCP on atleast the minor rails. This unit probably uses the same old 8-pin HY-510N protection IC.

    At the moment the Corsair CX still looks the better option.
    We'll just have to wait some months for reviews.
    Absolutely does and heard about it but. I'm not too Familiar and they said the DC-DC is better...it's a select handful...everything most of everything is Forward Converter/Group Regulation, most of everything. It is some shady marketing in a way and slang with topology. And we Should Issue and breakout service Schematic's for the user.

    Could absolutely Design Perfection for the User and like he wanted or needed to change a fan and got Curious lol.

    Well it is my Nature the Book and White board stuff. Very much the Technician side...And People feel Comfortable with Professional shit in the Electrical Area. Should have a Schematic for Reference always.
    Ryzen 2600x 4.3 1.375v, Loop
    MSI X470 Gaming Plus
    Evga SuperSC 3200mhz CL15
    PNY NVME 480gb
    Reference Vega 56
    WD Blue 1tb
    Cooler Master GX II Pro 750w

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    SK, Canada
    Posts
    19
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Heh... just me being me feeling like I asked a dumb question.
    Last edited by Gamefoo21; 01-05-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Wiped a dumb question from existence.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    14
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batboy88 View Post
    Absolutely does and heard about it but. I'm not too Familiar and they said the DC-DC is better...it's a select handful...everything most of everything is Forward Converter/Group Regulation, most of everything. It is some shady marketing in a way and slang with topology. And we Should Issue and breakout service Schematic's for the user.

    Could absolutely Design Perfection for the User and like he wanted or needed to change a fan and got Curious lol.

    Well it is my Nature the Book and White board stuff. Very much the Technician side...And People feel Comfortable with Professional shit in the Electrical Area. Should have a Schematic for Reference always.
    PSU manufacturers don’t want users opening their units. Let alone replacing fan and caps. Releasing schematics won’t do Seasonic any good.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,380
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    381
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    116
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

    Default

    They changed the specs, it now says "LLC resonant converter design"

    It also says: "For customers in the EU, the scheduled launch of the S12III series is Q3 2019"

    In the USA it's already available.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    910
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    They changed the specs, it now says "LLC resonant converter design"

    It also says: "For customers in the EU, the scheduled launch of the S12III series is Q3 2019"

    In the USA it's already available.
    Interesting. I went to the Seasonic website, where they indeed list this as "LLC resonant converter design."

    Someone should inform Newegg. They have it as "Double Forward Converter Design." The 450W costs $49.56, the 650W costs $54.99, and for two more days the 500W costs $44.99 with no shipping cost listed.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,040
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    115
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    64
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batboy88 View Post
    Well Seasonic still want's to use Chemicon….My understanding Rubycon was more mojo and descended from Audiophile…
    UCC/NCC make top grade capacitors

    Audio deals with 20 kHz, SMPS go a lot higher

    When I recap I have no problem using Chemicon, Nichicon, Rubycon or Sanyo/Panasonic among others; so long as they are low ESR
    Last edited by ashiekh; 03-03-2019 at 03:38 PM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    UCC/NCC make top grade capacitors
    Many do, you just have to pay for it and trust them.
    The thing is that most Japanese Companys are like Mercedes/BMW while the Taiwanese are more like VW:
    one only has the upperclass in their lineup, the others have everything...

    Not too long ago, the lowest car Mercedes had was the C-Class, equal to 3 series BMW, wich was also the lowest end car they had at the time (lets just talk mid 90s stuff here for convenience).
    VW at the time had 2 or even 3 cars below that:
    Polo, Golf and if you want to you can count other cars like the Jetta and Corrado/Scirocco to that bunch...

    Its the same with Caps, the Japanese usually start in the middle of the Taiwanese companys.
    For example Teapo has 2 or 3 series below the KZE Series...

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    They changed the specs, it now says "LLC resonant converter design"
    It also says: "For customers in the EU, the scheduled launch of the S12III series is Q3 2019"
    In the USA it's already available.
    So cost down Focus without full "Japanese" Caps??

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,040
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    115
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    64
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    The thing is that most Japanese Companys are like Mercedes/BMW while the Taiwanese are more like VW:
    one only has the upperclass in their lineup, the others have everything...

    Not too long ago, the lowest car Mercedes had was the C-Class, equal to 3 series BMW, wich was also the lowest end car they had at the time (lets just talk mid 90s stuff here for convenience).
    VW at the time had 2 or even 3 cars below that:
    Polo, Golf and if you want to you can count other cars like the Jetta and Corrado/Scirocco to that bunch...
    Some say the Honda Civic is about the cheapest one can get; mine is 20 years old, has over 200,000 mi and is still running just great.

    Anyhow Chemicon is Japanese

Similar Threads

  1. It appears my Corsair HX1050 is a bit dead...
    By Baron in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-14-2018, 12:20 PM
  2. Finally I'm in!
    By biessea in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2013, 01:34 AM
  3. Finally! New shiny PSU!
    By Koniakki in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-16-2011, 01:41 AM
  4. Testing shows no error. but yet symptoms appears now n then.
    By night_wolf_in in forum General PC Hardware
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 09:22 AM
  5. Finally got my Toughpower 1200!
    By eightballrj in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •