Thread: PSU Advice. Way higher wattage than needed but it's cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU Advice. Way higher wattage than needed but it's cheaper.

Probably way over thinking this.

At the moment I have a stock 2500k build with a GTX 970. But I'm buying in prep for both a CPU/Mobo upgrade and future GPU upgrades.

Basically I have the option of a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w for $45. But 750w is likely way beyond what I would use and I guess the system would not operate in the optimal efficiency point. As a comparison the cheapest I've seen a Focus Plus Platinum 550w for is $75, Focus Plus Gold 550w $55 or $60.

The maximum GPU "class" I'd consider is at 200w or RTX 2070 or lower. But more likely I'd pick something closer to 150w (like the upcoming RTX 2060 or equiv). For CPUs I have no interest in HEDT platforms or high voltage overclocks. Even if AMDs upcoming mainstream 3xxx series goes to 16 cores however I can't see power going much beyond 150w at a worst case, but again I'd prefer lower here as well due to noise/space (planning smaller) considerations.

Or should I just hold out for a something else. I'd actually prefer a SFX/SFX-L build but the cost premium for those still seems way high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You shouldn’t care that much about the optimal load. If you can get it cheap, get it.
    Anyway, that PSU had some known VGA compatibilities problems. You should check them out beforehand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're referring to this right?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...ir-focus-psus/

As far as I know neither should apply to me.

Different GTX 970 model.

Extremely unlikely to get a Vega class GPU in terms of power usage (just to due to heat pump out into a room with no AC) and it seems like that only applies to the 550w model. Also I'm guessing a PSU bought now would likely be past Jan 2018 manufacturing date.

Although in terms of alternatives I've finding it hard. Supernova G3s are another option that I've seen also quite low in price here but it's a bit bigger (I've been considering certain smaller cases for next build and going higher than 140mm would cut down some choices. SFX PSU would be preferable but they're like beyond 2x the cost of this for a 450w) and there is some mixed reports about higher noise. Corsair TX's seem to be more expensive typically mainly due to lacking sales. Not sure about how other brands (Canada if it helps).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by somerandomguy View Post
    Probably way over thinking this.

At the moment I have a stock 2500k build with a GTX 970. But I'm buying in prep for both a CPU/Mobo upgrade and future GPU upgrades.

Basically I have the option of a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w for $45. But 750w is likely way beyond what I would use and I guess the system would not operate in the optimal efficiency point. As a comparison the cheapest I've seen a Focus Plus Platinum 550w for is $75, Focus Plus Gold 550w $55 or $60.

The maximum GPU "class" I'd consider is at 200w or RTX 2070 or lower. But more likely I'd pick something closer to 150w (like the upcoming RTX 2060 or equiv). For CPUs I have no interest in HEDT platforms or high voltage overclocks. Even if AMDs upcoming mainstream 3xxx series goes to 16 cores however I can't see power going much beyond 150w at a worst case, but again I'd prefer lower here as well due to noise/space (planning smaller) considerations.

Or should I just hold out for a something else. I'd actually prefer a SFX/SFX-L build but the cost premium for those still seems way high.
    great price. snap it up!

my goto brands are evga and corsair. all the corsair psu's ive had over the long term have been reliable. i'll just have to see how long my current evga lasts. i sold my x750 seasonic in 2012. , barely used it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by somerandomguy View Post
    Take the 750W Focus Gold for $45, higher resale value in future than more expensive 550W versions. It may be louder than the lower watt units though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

seasonic said they corrected the issue , and after jan 2018 u should be okay ....they said most of the problems had to do with the 550....seasonic recommends 650 or 750 focus for vegas gpu,s

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoBK...ature=youtu.be

Cool shit brother...I like when shit works out...well that BIG cap needed a home anyways lol

We haven't seen something that big on the Secondary in Yearssss lol

Well there's still something on the Ground side that's whacky but yeah it's up and Running.
    Last edited by Batboy88; 01-04-2019 at 06:51 AM.
    Ryzen 2600x 4.3 1.375v, Loop
    MSI X470 Gaming Plus
    Evga SuperSC 3200mhz CL15
    PNY NVME 480gb
    Reference Vega 56
    WD Blue 1tb
    Cooler Master GX II Pro 750w