Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any way to fix critical RM1000x flaw? (modify default fan speed))

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation any way to fix critical RM1000x flaw? (modify default fan speed))

so I recently bought an RM1000x at a bargain price it was a recent unit from january 2018 & I have his bill
    basically was tempted because of the good reviews it got (on this site & kitguru)

problem is I shouldve paid more attention & only too late did I realize this unit has a 0 fan mode which can't be switched off

apparently the fan on this unit only triggers at around 450W

tough luck my 980ti rig based "only" eats about 400W tops

so imagine 400W without fan it'll be boiling hot & won't last (so call "warranty" is useless Corsair can claim it was negligence or something)

like this guy who can barely touch it : http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130199

basically I'd be running the PSU smack dab in the danger zone (too hot for safety but not hot enough to trigger the fan)

the very fact they designed the fan to be off even on mid-load and didn't include a hybrid mode is suspicious

so long story short fanless PSUs are better avoided especially when operating at the fan-less limit

so my question is, is there any simple way I can modify the default fan speed so it runs at a minimum speed even on lowest loads?

I realize this ain't like a graphics card where I can modify the bios by editing the fan curve then flash the card
    but maybe a simple manipulation to force the fan to always spin?

(else I plan to resell the PSU I reckon I can easily sell it for 20 or 30E more than I bought it)
    Last edited by cossack; 12-26-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    I didn't understand that explanation how does that explain how to fix the unit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cossack View Post
    apparently the fan on this unit only triggers at around 450W
    No, the fan turns off and on and speeds up and down based on internal temperature, not load.

so imagine 400W without fan it'll be boiling hot & won't last)
    No, the fan turns on when the heat requires active cooling. If the fan is off, that means the PSU isn't hot enough to hurt it or decrease lifetime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    No, the fan turns on when the heat requires active cooling. If the fan is off, that means the PSU isn't hot enough to hurt it or decrease lifetime.
    either that or it means it's designed specially to overheat enough to shorten lifespan (warranty's irrelevant cause Corsair can claim it was negligence or something)
    case in point the other guy whose PSU's too hot to the touch

else why not just put a very low fan mode instead of 0 fan mode?

besides if the fan speed's temperature-based then it's unreliable these things tend to malfunction so there's a yuge risk of fan no triggering even if it's meant to

so is there a way to change default fan mode & force it to spin at least at low rpm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

so imagine 400W without fan it'll be boiling hot & won't last (so call "warranty" is useless Corsair can claim it was negligence or something)
    It doesn't matter how many watts the PSU delivers. It's about how many watts are lost going from 115/230V AC to 3,3V, 5V and 12V DC. All loses are converted in to heat, so how more efficient the PSU, the less heat you have.

And no it's not because it's a CWT power supply, it's because Corsair didn't put it in. A RMx from Seasonic also wouldn't have a switch. That's something Corsair is using in the higher end power supplies.

Marketing, people believe it's better so it sells better. And it's also cheaper to combine a cheap fan and use semi-passive instead of using a high-end fan without semi-passive. Same goes for multi-rail, because marketing people believe that single rail better. But it's actually a cost reduction.

besides if the fan speed's temperature-based then it's unreliable these things tend to malfunction so there's a yuge risk of fan no triggering even if it's meant to
    If the PSU overheats the OTP (over temp protection) switches off the PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

either that or it means it's designed specially to overheat enough to shorten lifespan (warranty's irrelevant cause Corsair can claim it was negligence or something)
    If you already decided Corsair is secretly conspiring to prematurely damage your PSU by deliberately designing 100,000s of their expensive units to overheat, then there's nothing we can say that would change your mind. Do what you want.

Because rotating objects make noise, and people who don't want that are part of the target demographic.
    It's also not needed to cool something down when the temperature isn't high enough to damage it.

besides if the fan speed's temperature based then it cant be accurate enough
    Why?

so is there a way to change default fan mode & force it to spin at least at low rpm?
    No.

RIP Jon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    It doesn't matter how many watts the PSU delivers. It's about how many watts are lost going from 115/230V AC to 3,3V, 5V and 12V DC. All loses are converted in to heat, so how more efficient the PSU, the less heat you have.
    so if total load's 400W and efficiency's 90% then heat energy wasted is ~40W?

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    If you already decided Corsair is secretly conspiring to prematurely damage your PSU by deliberately designing 100,000s of their expensive units to overheat, then there's nothing we can say that would change your mind. Do what you want.
    hey like I said I'm basing this on testimonies from other users
    when all other possibilities are eliminated ...

Because rotating objects make noise, and people who don't want that are part of the target demographic.
    that's the thing PSU fans make ultra low noise on low rpm (like my Seasonic on hybrid mode) so who gives AF about eliminating that last bit of inaudible noise? so that's not an explanation either
    GPU & CPU fans make more noise than that

so looks like I'll have to sell this **** bummer I was really hoping this could be fixed the PSU build is good quality but all a waste if fanless :/

nvm can close this thread then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

If the load on the PSU is 400W and the efficiency is 90%, there will be 44,44W power wasted on heat.
    It's more that you learned a lot of bs from those people.

that's the thing PSU fans make ultra low noise on low rpm (like my Seasonic on hybrid mode) so who gives AF about eliminating that last bit of inaudible noise? so that's not an explanation either
    Well for Seasonic it actually makes sense, because they use not that great Hong Hua fans in the Focus and Prime series. There have been a lot of people that complained about noise from the motor on low RPM. In that case semi-passive can help. As I said in my reply earlier, you can cheap out on the fans with semi-passive.
    so looks like I'll have to sell this **** bummer I was really hoping this could be fixed the PSU build is good quality but all a waste if fanless :/
    You don't need to fix anything as there is nothing wrong with the PSU.

Or are you a "If it ain't broke fix it until it is" guy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

when all other possibilities are eliminated ...
    You say that other people are having issues, is this a significant number of people? And are these people using the RM1000x? If they have an old RM750 then that could cause issues, as those units ran quite hot if you had no other airflow...

That's the thing PSU fans make ultra low noise on low rpm (like my Seasonic on hybrid mode) so who gives AF about eliminating that last bit of inaudible noise? so that's not an explanation either
    GPU & CPU fans make more noise than that
    Seasonic units are consistently louder than Corsair unit unless a different brand changes the fan in them (Asus Thor for example), corsair is going after the silence crowd here, and an idle PC van often turn off most or even all of its fans, so semi fanless makes sense...

o looks like I'll have to sell this **** bummer I was really hoping this could be fixed the PSU build is good quality but all a waste if fanless :/

nvm can close this thread then
    You sound like Stefan x10 :P

Honestly, you can sell it if it's that much of an issue, but it's unlikely to cause problems...
    Just some nerd from 'Straya