Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: any way to fix critical RM1000x flaw? (modify default fan speed))

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    If they have an old RM750 then that could cause issues, as those units ran quite hot if you had no other airflow...
    one was RM750 another was RM850 & another was RM750i (the RMi one suppose to be high end just like the RMx)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...-fanless-mode/

RM RMi or RMx aint they all ~same efficiency anyway? so on fanless should be same heat then
    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    It's more that you learned a lot of bs from those people.
    you mean when their psu got burning hot they were imagining it? +_-
    Well for Seasonic it actually makes sense, because they use not that great Hong Hua fans in the Focus and Prime series. There have been a lot of people that complained about noise from the motor on low RPM. In that case semi-passive can help. As I said in my reply earlier, you can cheap out on the fans with semi-passive.
    dunno about those series mine is the X series it says "Sanyo Denki San Ace" for the fan & there's a button on the psu to switch between fanless & hybrid/silent mode (silent = low rpm) I use the latter mode to avoid danger of fanless
    You don't need to fix anything as there is nothing wrong with the PSU.

Or are you a "If it ain't broke fix it until it is" guy?
    more of a "if it aint broke dont wait till it is" guy '_'

anyway I put mine back on sale since you guys said the flaw can't be fixed

there's not even a fan test button anyway (how's that for suspicious) so no way of ever checking fan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cossack View Post
    one was RM750 another was RM850 & another was RM750i (the RMi one suppose to be high end just like the RMx)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...-fanless-mode/
    The RM750/850 had slight design issues, you could cause them to overheat if you wanted to, the rmi can be controlled via software...
    RM RMi or RMx aint they all ~same efficiency anyway? so on fanless should be same heat thenyou mean when their psu got burning hot they were imagining it? +_-
    dunno about those series mine is the X series it says "Sanyo Denki San Ace" for the fan & there's a button on the psu to switch between fanless & hybrid/silent mode (silent = low rpm) I use the latter mode to avoid danger of fanless more of a "if it aint broke dont wait till it is" guy '_'
    If the PSU casing was getting warm then that's probably because the 12v output parts are heatsinked to it...

there's not even a fan test button anyway (how's that for suspicious) so no way of ever checking fan
    Except that semi-fanless isn't a flaw, the unit was designed to take 400w of power without needing to turn the fan on... As for fan test, IIRC the unitt will turn the fan on for 2-3s when it starts up to make sure it works, though I'm not 100% sure...
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

There is no "flaw".

Dude... If the PSU gets too hot, the fan turns on. There aren't loads of these PSUs failing due to heat. They don't get very hot in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

If the PSU casing was getting warm then that's probably because the 12v output parts are heatsinked to it...
    Correct. Which means active cooling doesn't help regardless since the parts are on the opposite side of the PCB.

Except that semi-fanless isn't a flaw, the unit was designed to take 400w of power without needing to turn the fan on... As for fan test, IIRC the unitt will turn the fan on for 2-3s when it starts up to make sure it works, though I'm not 100% sure...
    You're correct. The fan spins on initial start up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

Marketing, people believe it's better so it sells better. And it's also cheaper to combine a cheap fan and use semi-passive instead of using a high-end fan without semi-passive.
    Sorry. You are so completely incorrect here, my brain is hurting.

That is NOT a cheap fan. And the MCU uses to control the fan in the RMx is a hell of a lot more expensive than a simple thermostatic control used in every other PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post

That is NOT a cheap fan. And the MCU uses to control the fan in the RMx is a hell of a lot more expensive than a simple thermostatic control used in every other PSU.
    There is nothing in that post that said the RMx has a cheap fan and that the MCU implementation of the RMx was cheap. Assumption is the mother of all fuckups. It was just a general statement, not about the RMx.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Except that semi-fanless isn't a flaw, the unit was designed to take 400w of power without needing to turn the fan on
    even IF it can survive the heat (ie. IF Corsair didn't design this deliberately as a sort of planned obsolescence)... a PSU becomes less efficient when it heats up right? various things like ripple control become less efficient when temps go up

There is no "flaw".

Dude... If the PSU gets too hot, the fan turns on. There aren't loads of these PSUs failing due to heat. They don't get very hot in the first place.
    did you measure the temp inside the PSU when it was on medium load? (in the "danger zone" ie. just below limit where fan starts spinning)

besides 0 fan mode is only good for PSU on the bottom of the case right?

problem in my case the PSU is at the top so if I put a 0 fan PSU up there then all the heat from the case will rise & reach it (that's in addition to the PSU's own heat) and won't be evacuated cause no fan spinning

my rig ain't low power it's a high power one (980ti eats a lot) but not high power enough to trigger the fan so it's be dangerous to put that PSU at the top of the case while it's pulling 400+ W without spinning fan I can't take the risk

I'd basically have to buy a new case where PSU is at the bottom if I'm to use that PSU with my rig

That is NOT a cheap fan.
    the RMx only uses rifle bearing right? (not fluid FDB unlike RMi)

And the MCU uses to control the fan in the RMx is a hell of a lot more expensive than a simple thermostatic control used in every other PSU.
    I don't have extra components like a 2nd 980ti to artificially increase load & force the fan to start spinning

is there at least a safe way to "heat up" the PSU to test if the fan thermal control works?
    Last edited by cossack; 12-26-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

There is nothing in that post that said the RMx has a cheap fan and that the MCU implementation of the RMx was cheap. Assumption is the mother of all fuckups. It was just a general statement, not about the RMx.
    Were talking about the RMx and you said semi-passive is done because a cheap fan can be used. Why would anyone assume you're NOT talking about the RMx?

besides 0 fan mode is only good for PSU on the bottom of the case right?
    Wrong.

problem in my case the PSU is at the top so if I put a 0 fan PSU up there then all the heat from the case will rise & reach it (that's in addition to the PSU's own heat) and won't be evacuated cause no fan spinning
    Until it gets warm enough for the fan to turn on.

You seem to have it stuck in your head that the fan only turns on based on load. But temperature control over rules any other variable. That's why the fan controller is an MCU.

my rig ain't low power it's a high power one (980ti eats a lot) but not high power enough to trigger the fan so it's be dangerous to put that PSU at the top of the case while it's pulling 400+ W without spinning fan I can't take the risk
    I've never seen a single 980 Ti build need more than 550W.

the RMx only uses rifle bearing right? (not fluid FDB unlike RMi)
    Yes. Rifle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so as I said is there any safe way to test the thermal control of the fan & see if it works?
    (I don't have an extra graphics card to increase load)

like artificially heat up the psu or something

also is it possible to tell between a sleeve bearing fan & rifle bearing fan without opening the fan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

take the hair dryer and blow into your psu air intake .