Thread: Computer sometimes won't post (bad PSU?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Computer sometimes won't post (bad PSU?)

Hello all and merry Christmas.

I have a computer built back in 2011 which still does the job. My problem is that after I changed the gfx card (upgraded from a 1060 to a 1080Ti) the computer seldom won't POST (mobo leds /fans working, no beeps, just a black screen on monitor).

When I press reset everything comes back to normal and I could do gaming for hours no problem at all. I have done some Valley benchmarking loops for some hours to test the new card, everything went smooth.

This reminds me an issue I had with a HD7970 graphics card (died last summer) where the computer also occasionally wouldn't POST but in a more frequent manner - also had graphical glitches in games. Another thing is I have also OC/undervolt my CPU (an i7 2600K@4GHz, 1.232V) which runs stable for over a year now.

In general besides this 'one time, no POST' issue I have no other problems.

The PSU is a Corsair TX650. Should I look into the PSU or any other ideas crossing your mind?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TR-909 View Post
    Another thing is I have also OC/undervolt my CPU (an i7 2600K@4GHz, 1.232V) which runs stable for over a year now.
    Run it standard and see if the problem is still present.

The whole idea of the safety margin that one uses to over-clock is to allow for things like diffusion aging of the semiconductor material.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 12-24-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello ashiekh and thanks for your reply.

I didn't have this issue until I upgraded the gfx card, meaning that with the same setup (OC/undervolt CPU) I didn't encounter this issue in the past - this runs for over a year now.

Still for the sake of testing I agree this is a good move to start troubleshooting. I will report again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

The over-clocking may have taken away the safety margin needed for the video card; that is the whole problem with over-clocking, one runs the machine right at the edge.

I always wonder why anyone would over-clock; the gains are not worth the trouble (in my opinion), if all it takes is a hot day to take things over the edge.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 12-26-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    I always wonder why anyone would over-clock; the gains are not worth the trouble (in my opinion), if all it takes is a hot day to take things over the edge.

It's the pursuit of performance as well as maximizing the value of your system.

To be perfectly honest; Overclocking is basically essential to building a PC these days due to the performance that's locked away or segmented off by AMD, Nvidia, & Intel these days. Though, the big 3 are also taking a ton of "fun" or "challenge" out of overclocking as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The over-clocking may have taken away the safety margin needed for the video card; that is the whole problem with over-clocking, one runs the machine right at the edge.

Would make sense if I had set the voltage higher than the default but in my case I have undervolt; actually 0.1V below the default Vcore (using offset). Also the PSU in theory has more than enough power (54A on the 12V rail). That's why I couldn't think any other reason other than the PSU slowly dying.

I did the OC/undervolt to protect my CPU from overheating (I live in a country with warm climate). With undervolting the i7 2600k I am able to get 0.6GHz more than the stock clock while max temp is around 8 Celsius below than what it was before (full load).

After some more reading I disabled Fastboot in Windows 10. There were some signs like it was taking some time to display the log in prompt, or pressing keyboard buttons wouldn't take me to the log in prompt immediately etc. After doing this no more 'black screens, no POST' till now - I hope this was the issue.

Will monitor further and report back, thanks again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And despite People that look at Units for 20 years+ and a 40$ unit goes down and the bastard can't tell you what's wrong with it...when I immediately know....should be like Linus he does that shit...Con the industry lol
    Ryzen 2600x 4.3 1.375v, Loop
    MSI X470 Gaming Plus
    Evga SuperSC 3200mhz CL15
    PNY NVME 480gb
    Mushkin ECo3 480gb
    WD Blue 1tb
    Cooler Master GX II Pro 750w

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TR-909 View Post
    Would make sense if I had set the voltage higher than the default but in my case I have undervolt; actually 0.1V below the default Vcore (using offset).
    How is this not going to reduce the safety margin?

People over-voltage to increase the safety margin, which they then use to over-clock further.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 12-31-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How is this not going to reduce the safety margin?

People over-voltage to increase the safety margin, which they then use to over-clock further.
    But I didn't want to OC 'further', just 200Mhz more than the stock turbo freq.There are many people undervolting/overclocking, posting their settings and guides how to achieve this. This configuration was working fine for over a year so I don't think that 'safety margin' was ever the case in my scenario.