PC1
    CPU: i5 2500K
    MB: ASRock Z77 Pro3
    GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000
    RAM: Corsair 8GB
    SSD: Kingston 240GB
    PSU: Mushkin EP-400AP, 400W
    Case: Zalman Z1

I had the Mushkin PSU since 2010 and had no problem with it, but it has 2 capacitors that are swollen (see attachments for some photos of the PSU).

---------------------------------------------------

PC2
    CPU: Pentium G620
    MB: MSI P67S-C43
    GPU: Palit GeForce GT 630
    RAM: Kingston 2GB
    SSD: Crucial 120GB
    PSU: Delux 400W
    Case: no name middle tower

The second PC is built with left overs from other PCs and I want to change the PSU since its a shitty one and some cable were ripped and tied back together.

What should I do?
    1. Buy cheap PSU for PC2 and keep PSU for PC1.
    2. Buy a decent PSU for PC1 and use its PSU for PC2.
    3. Buy a decent PSU for PC1 and cheap PSU for PC2.

Budget 400 RON (~$100), that's if I have to buy a PSU for both PCs. 300 RON for PC1 and 100 RON for PC2
    Store https://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/filtre...9-pana-la-320/, already filtered to show PSU's up to 320 RON , default sorting is best selling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

The Mushkin EP-400AP isn't a particular good power supply, also wasn't in 2010, but it also isn't utterly crap. But because some caps failed you should replace it. The Delux 400W should also be replaced as soon as possible because that is a really bad power supply.

For both PCs the FSP Hexa 85+ 650W is a good choice, it's a decent PSU for a good price. You don't need 650W, but the 350W, 450W and 550W aren't available. 350W version would also be more then enough for both PC's.

https://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/fortro...s-bronze-650w/
    Last edited by -The_Mask-; 12-23-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fbg_13 View Post
    Budget 400 RON (~$100), that's if I have to buy a PSU for both PCs. 300 RON for PC1 and 100 RON for PC2
    Store https://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/filtre...9-pana-la-320/, already filtered to show PSU's up to 320 RON , default sorting is best selling.
    $25 isn't going to get you much of a power supply, but it should be enough to replace the secondary capacitors in what you have if you are handy with a soldering iron; read some place that most Russia households have a soldering iron.

Me, I'd recap the supply and not get anything new; but I know not everyone here would agree.

i.e. put the $100 into capacitors and a good soldering iron.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    $25 isn't going to get you much of a power supply, but it should be enough to replace the secondary capacitors in what you have if you are handy with a soldering iron; read some place that most Russia households have a soldering iron.

Me, I'd recap the supply and not get anything new; but I know not everyone here would agree.

Well.. For ~22eur I've bought the Deepcool DN350 for my secondary PC. Wasn't able to blow it up with a R7 1700 and R9 380X (loaded to ~440W from the wall). And apparently It's based on CWT's GPM platform.
    R7 1700 3.85 GHz @ 1.275V / Lite 240 / R9 Fury X / 8GB 3000MHz / AB350M Pro4 / HX850 Plat / 850 EVO 250GB / 750GB fidget spinner / Define Mini C TG / C24FG73 / K87S / ROG Sica

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

The Muskhin isn't worth recapping and the Delux is a very bad power supply. Recapping the Delux doesn't make any sense. It will stay a very bad power supply, even with the best caps.

Recapping doesn't make much sense anymore anyway. If the caps fail it's probably an old power supply which isn't worth repairing anymore. Exceptions are custom power supplies which can't be replaced easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the i5 pc I'll get the FSP Hexa 85+.
    For the other one it's more complicated. I'll give it to my niece and they leave in about a week and I don't know if the PSU will get here in time. Will talk to them on how to proceed.

And I do have a soldering iron I just don't trust myself doing it on a PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just find deals....That Coolermaster is a dope PSU...only paid 60$ for it....Yeah it's alittle older but it's still good. Good home in the Ryzen build...maybe with planned Gpu upgrade later. Not a too bad 750watter at all.

Or you are talking like real cheap unit...like a Deer or Apevia or something.
    Ryzen 2600x 4.3 1.375v, Loop
    MSI X470 Gaming Plus
    Evga SuperSC 3200mhz CL15
    PNY NVME 480gb
    Reference Vega 56
    WD Blue 1tb
    Cooler Master GX II Pro 750w

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    If the caps fail it's probably an old power supply which isn't worth repairing anymore.
    Not sure I agree with this logic. I would almost say the opposite; if it is new and needs repairing, it might be better replaced, but not with the same model.

"Engineering is the art of doing well with one dollar, which any bungler can do with two after a fashion''

Now running new technology on an old power supply might not be such a clever idea, but if a power supply has done 8 years of sterling service, it might well last twice as long again on quality capacitors and give the machine it serves a new lease of life; whereas a new power supply might not make financial sense.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 12-24-2018 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Not sure I agree with this logic. I would almost say the opposite; if it is new and needs repairing, it might be better replaced, but not with the same model.
    But new power supplies don't get failed caps. If a new power supply fails it's because another problem which is much more difficult to repair. Also a new power supply should still be under warranty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ordered 1 Hexa 85+ that will go in the g620 pc.
    The other pc will have to wait a month or two, maybe I'll get a better PSU for it then.

Thank you for the advices.