Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing PSU for 2 systems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help choosing PSU for 2 systems

Hi everyone:

I'm new here, but I've read some of Jonny's past reviews on PSUs. I wonder if you could help me choose PSUs for a couple of machines which I'm rebuilding.

Machine 1: for Mom
    =============
    The first is my Mom's. She's about to get the following:

Mobo: EVGA Z370 Classified K.
    CPU: Probably mid-range, somewhere between a Core i5 6600 to a Core i5 7600.
    RAM: 8 GB to start.
    Hard drive: One mechanical, one external 2.5" spinning backup drive.
    Optical: One DVD
    Video: On the low end, maybe a G710 or something similar. Nothing that requires much power.
    No gaming or other graphics-intensive tasks will ever be done on this box.

My reading suggests I could get away with a 450W model, as she doesn't need more, and theory suggests the lower power unit will be a little more efficient. We will not do significant upgrades on this machine any time soon (My Mom is 93).

I ordered an EVGA model, but it turns out from teardowns it was a bad choice. I am returning it.
    This PSU needs to be RELIABLE above all else, quiet, and stable. She doesn't have a UPS, so it would be nice if it had the OVP, UVP, etc.

I've traditionally mostly used Seasonics, but not all models are easily available in Canada. I'm also open to the better quality EVGA models and maybe some other models, if you smart people recommend them.

Modular is a nice-to-have, but not essential.

What do you suggest?
    Last edited by Hogwild; 12-03-2018 at 07:48 PM. Reason: clarity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

If you are using an i5 and your mother will not be gaming, do you need a graphics card at all? I have built core i7 4770k, 4790k and 8700k using the iGPU's those chips provided. My streaming video from the Web, my movie-watching at home, all have been fine.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks. Yes, I did think of that. I'm just not sure which I'm going to get her yet.

Even so, you can't easily find 300W PSUs any more. Aren't the lowest wattage units commonly available these days 450W units? If not the only ones available, they're certainly the easiest to find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

FYI Z370 only works with 8x00 and 9x00 CPUs, not 6x00 and 7x00
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

awesomegamer:

Crap, I just noticed that I had downloaded the wrong QVL! I accidentally downloaded the QVL for Z270 board, not the Z370 board. Oh no. That means I either have to fork out more for a newer CPU or return the board. The mobo was the only part of this whole plan that was going smoothly, and now that just went south.

OK, well, anyways, which PSU for this? I just read the Jonny review for the EVGA 450BT and it looks like that isn't too good. Should I consider the Corsair CX550?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

just did a mom pc...way over specced...i could have got her a nuc. but i have fun with a screwdriver. i went 2400g. again could have gone 2200g much better bang for buck. but this pc has to last about 6 years. no grfx card required. 8gb ram i put in a 250 gb evo nvme just for the hell of it. and an ssd. which she probly wont ever need... <3 i also am looking for a nice budget/ but good quality psu 450W...have an aging hx 850 in there right now but its 7 yrs old. probly it will go the distance....so here i am lingering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
    She doesn't have a UPS, so it would be nice if it had the OVP, UVP, etc.
    Not sure I see the connection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of UVP and OVP. Doesn't OVP prevent overvoltage situations? And wouldn't those be less likely with a UPS? Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing?

And please, some PSU suggestions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

awesomegamer:

Crap, I just noticed that I had downloaded the wrong QVL! I accidentally downloaded the QVL for Z270 board, not the Z370 board. Oh no. That means I either have to fork out more for a newer CPU or return the board. The mobo was the only part of this whole plan that was going smoothly, and now that just went south.

OK, well, anyways, which PSU for this? I just read the Jonny review for the EVGA 450BT and it looks like that isn't too good. Should I consider the Corsair CX550?
    Get an i3 8100, it's similar to a 7600 in performance (4c4t as well).

As for PSU, a CX is lightyears ahead of a BT, for the same price (or even a bit more) get a CX 100%...

Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of UVP and OVP. Doesn't OVP prevent overvoltage situations? And wouldn't those be less likely with a UPS? Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing?
    Those protections are for output voltage (DC, to the PC parts), not input voltage (AC, to the PSU). A surge protector is your best, cheap, bet for stopping power surges.
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamer:

Ah, Okay. I see. Thanks for that. I have an extra old UPS, but it functions fine. Maybe I can drag it over to my Mom's place.

I was wondering about the 8100. It's fairly cheap, and it would prevent me from having to return the EVGA board. At $130.00 CDN (About USD $95.00), the EVGA board seemed like a steal. And there's always room for upgrades later.

Which CX PSU? I assume you mean the 550 I mentioned? Reliability is really good on that model?