Thread: 12V Cigarette lighter supply

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Default 12V Cigarette lighter supply

In the Winter I use heated blankets on the desk chairs and was wondering about moving to heated car seat covers; for this I am looking for 12V supply with cigarette lighter socket, but so far have only found ones based on linear power supply technology.

Anyone know of any based on switched mode technology?

Oops… I found one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 11-28-2018 at 09:36 PM.

cheapie is offline That weird furry girl they warned you about
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last time I wanted something like this, I just cut a connector off of a random ATX power supply I had sitting around and connected an outlet pulled from an old car to it. The exact power supply doesn't matter a whole lot, as the regulation and ripple/noise of a power outlet that's in a car is generally a fair bit worse than even a very bad computer power supply anyway.

There also used to be a company that made a cigarette lighter socket that mounted into a 5.25" drive bay and plugged into a normal "Molex" connector. I wonder if those are still around?

The only real issue that I can think of with these two solutions is that you may get somewhat poor performance of the device you plug into it. A typical car's electrical system will be at about 12.6V with a fully charged battery and the ignition off, and range from 13.5V to 14.4V with the engine running. The 12V output from a computer power supply will generally be a lot closer to 12V. For some loads, like your desired heating use, this may not be too noticeable. Other load types like motors may run noticeably worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

This is for my kids, so I probably don't want anything jury-rigged.