Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seasonic officially reacts to the GPU compatibility issues

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Seasonic officially reacts to the GPU compatibility issues

https://knowledge.seasonic.com/artic...ibility-issues

We have been notified, in limited instances, where some issues may occur when a FOCUS power supply is used in conjunction with certain high power consumption GPU or brand of VGA cards. If you experience possible compatibility issues, please check the below information and contact us for further assistance:
    FOCUS PLUS & ASUS GTX970 STRIX: In very limited instances black screen may occur under heavy VGA usage. Current testing showed that certain VGA cards may emit higher than normal ripple when under heavy load and using a modified PCIe cables with enhanced shielding resolved the issue.
    FOCUS PLUS & Vega 56/64: For units with serial numbers before January 2018, in rare instances, possible system shutdown may occur when GPU is under heavy load. This is possibly caused by higher than normal peak current emitted by this particular range of GPU's when under heavy load triggering the PSU’s internal protection safety.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to breixobaloca For This Useful Post:

GDILord (11-22-2018), Orion (11-21-2018), turkey3_scratch (11-21-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

Sadly that they don't give the real story. They know it affects more graphics cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Sadly that they don't give the real story. They know it affects more graphics cards.
    In December 2017 when this issue first appeared, we made extensive testing and even asked some of our partners to make testing as well and did not find anything else beyond what we have posted. In January 2018 we took immediate action to widen our spec to work with these VGA's.

So please tell me what are we not saying?
    Last edited by Seasonic Rep; 11-22-2018 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

You know that already. You even thanked Razkin on Tweakers for testing and he had the same problem with his GTX 1080 Ti cards. You also have been told about even more graphics cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He also said he believes it is a system configuration issue based on his testing and assessment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonic Rep View Post
    He also said he believes it is a system configuration issue based on his testing and assessment.
    Not on Tweakers, his last reply about this subject was that it still was the PSU. And of course you also know about the others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The way Razkin explained it to us was that it was related to dynamic load. Once again, we have checked and modified everything accordingly to ensure compatibility.

Have a nice day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

Yes of course it's related to dynamic load, that was already clear like a year ago. So it would be nice that you would also add the other graphics cards otherwise people who have this problem are gonna think it's something else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I usually avoid entering in such conflicts, but in my opinion Seasonic was honest and actually tried to help the customers who faced any problems. As I wrote in my newspost a product that sells so well, (the market is full of Focus units) inevitably will have some issues which can be related to other factors and not the product itself (e.g. a badly GPU implementation).

As far as I know the Focus is not the only one to face problems with the lousy power circuits of some GPUs which spike at 2 to 2.5x of their peak wattage. However all the rest brands didn't come forward or mentioned anything about it. Only Seasonic did and personally I appreciate this attitude. This shows that they respect their customers.

I am totally ok criticising brands and people (or when other people criticise me) when they do something wrong, but at some point we have to respect companies and people that come forward and actually try to solve a matter which probably isn't their fault at the first place. If a VEGA 56/64 has over 500W power spikes which look to be applied really rough causing problems, and it is not only AMD GPUs but several Nvidia ones as well like 1080Ti etc, then it is normal for any PSU to have its OCP kicked in to protect it.

I was the first to write about this matter as it seems (although my post was altered) and I believe that we shouldn't be hard on brands that actually care about their products and try to make them compatible with anything that it is out there. We should probably complain to GPU brands for deviating so much from the official specs. Next time they should put on a box that this GPU needs a 1000W PSU because of its power spikes.

I am even thinking to get some VEGA and high-end Nvidia and actually test the PSUs with them, to see if everything is ok. But one moment, I already have the Powenetics system to measure those spikes. Nonetheless, almost nobody wants to send any GPUs for official measurements... and I wonder why..

I am sorry for the long post, I just don't like to see brands and people getting flamed the moment they stand behind their products.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to crmaris For This Useful Post:

ehume (11-22-2018), none77 (11-22-2018), Seasonic Rep (11-22-2018), Tazz (11-28-2018), VitaminRGB (12-14-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

https://knowledge.seasonic.com/artic...ibility-issues

"...using a modified PCIe cables with enhanced shielding resolved the issue."

How does shielding play a role?