Thread: PSU expertise needed! 1st build, mid-overclocking - 1300€

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU expertise needed! 1st build, mid-overclocking - 1300€

Hello everyone,

This will be my 1st build, and I am in need of expert opinions to conclude, and finally buy it!

I've spent many hours doing researches and learning about technical aspects, which I found very amusing, but today, I need the last advice.

PSU.

Based on the following component list, I am indeed confused by the amount of power needed, in the case of mid-overclocking.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9swDTB

What I've previously chosen was a Corsair RM650X 2018, but the same version of 750W is just 5€ more expensive, and I thought that it could leave some more room to play, but I am not entirely sure if I will ever use more than the half of it.

So my question in the end is, based on the component list, what is the recommended wattage for a mid-overclocker(beginner) and if there's any other PSU recommendations.

The point of this build is for gaming and programming.
    Average usage time: 5h~ per day(excluding weekends).

This will be a open case, so having some good looking cables would be an extra point to consider, after quality and reliability of course.

Every help and opinion is highly appreciated!

If you find anything else that can still be upgraded/changed on the component list, feel free to add it on your comment and an explanation why!

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts

Spending 5€ more for 100W more Watts gives you zero gain. Stick with the 650W.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

quess i look at the build differently, i would get the 750 watts. reason why-future upgrades may require more wattsl.future proof...but i do agree, 650 would be good enoughl. my 2 main computers (one amd and intel) i have 850 and 750. i was going to make sure these super computers have pleny of juice, and high quality power...i am not afraid to open my wallet on psu purchase
    Last edited by ronss; 11-19-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Spending 5€ more for 100W more Watts gives you zero gain. Stick with the 650W.
    Thanks for your input, it is highly appreciated!

Would you stick with a 650W version of it, or would you choose a different unit for this particular build?

Choosing something with quality, reliability and if possible, good looking cables for an open case, would be amazing!

And who else to ask, but you! :P

I've seen many reviews of you, I must say that I admire what you do!

/bow

Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ronss View Post
    quess i look at the build differently, i would get the 750 watts. reason why-future upgrades may require more wattsl.future proof...but i do agree, 650 would be good enoughl. my 2 main computers (one amd and intel) i have 850 and 750. i was going to make sure these super computers have pleny of juice, and high quality power...i am not afraid to open my wallet on psu purchase
    I do understand your point and also agree with it!

As you mentioned you also have some experience with PSUs, any recommendations that you would like to give, for someone who's willing to spend around 100€ for a PSU?

Reliability>Quality>Looks(cables)

Cheers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Punchpotato View Post
    Thanks for your input, it is highly appreciated!

Would you stick with a 650W version of it, or would you choose a different unit for this particular build?

Choosing something with quality, reliability and if possible, good looking cables for an open case, would be amazing!

And who else to ask, but you! :P

I've seen many reviews of you, I must say that I admire what you do!

/bow

Cheers
    RM650x is a great PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by ronss View Post
    Future proof for what? SLI? 750W is more power than you need for a modern PC with current graphics card. 1080Ti, Vega 64, RTX 20xx.... all of these work flawlessly on even 550W. 650W >>IS<< providing overhead for OC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Power draw looks to go down in the future, not up.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    RM650x is a great PSU.

Future proof for what? SLI? 750W is more power than you need for a modern PC with current graphics card. 1080Ti, Vega 64, RTX 20xx.... all of these work flawlessly on even 550W. 650W >>IS<< providing overhead for OC.
    Hey Jonny!

Using your precious time as Guru, are there any other PSUs that you would recommend for 650W?

I've been reading in regards to Seasonic Focus, Evga G3, but in comparison to RMX 2018 they all seem really similar. Any personal recommendation between these, or any other for this particular build?

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Punchpotato View Post
    Hello everyone,

This will be my 1st build, and I am in need of expert opinions to conclude, and finally buy it!

I've spent many hours doing researches and learning about technical aspects, which I found very amusing, but today, I need the last advice.

PSU.

Based on the following component list, I am indeed confused by the amount of power needed, in the case of mid-overclocking.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9swDTB

What I've previously chosen was a Corsair RM650X 2018, but the same version of 750W is just 5€ more expensive, and I thought that it could leave some more room to play, but I am not entirely sure if I will ever use more than the half of it.

So my question in the end is, based on the component list, what is the recommended wattage for a mid-overclocker(beginner) and if there's any other PSU recommendations.

The point of this build is for gaming and programming.
    Average usage time: 5h~ per day(excluding weekends).

This will be a open case, so having some good looking cables would be an extra point to consider, after quality and reliability of course.

Every help and opinion is highly appreciated!

If you find anything else that can still be upgraded/changed on the component list, feel free to add it on your comment and an explanation why!

Thanks everyone!
    The newb didn't find the edit button so..

I've decided to go with the RM650X as Jonny recommended!

I've taken a look at be quiet, Seasonic, Corsair and even EVGA. Overall Corsair seems to be better at this point.

New part list, updated!

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/K3QxP3

Thanks everyone!