Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corsair SF600 Platinum Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Arrow Corsair SF600 Platinum Review

A couple years ago, Corsair came to us with their then new SF600 80 Plus Gold unit and told us they would like to rule the SFX market. We quickly discovered they had good reason to be optimistic. But times have changed, and things rarely stand still in this business. Corsair's now added to their SFX units and would like us to make sure things are still good. Folks, meet the Platinum version of the SF600: it's promising big things, and it wants your money.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=567

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:

Burning Epoxy (11-05-2018), ehume (11-05-2018), Philipus II (11-05-2018), Tator Tot (11-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Damn, that's impressive, a 9.8/10 only missing out due to its fancy, but fiddly, cables... VReg was fantastic, Ripple was great and Efficiency... Well, it did Titanium in several tests and easily cleared platinum in others...
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

The CRT talk reminded me of the ancient Zenith CRT we had at my dad's as a kid. It was a high end model my Grandpa purchased before he passed and had the built in sound system. That thing never died, only had to be repaired once to fix the channel select dial, as the pot was absolutely filthy.

Oh yeah, and this is a pretty damn impressive unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This looks great, but can be quite the functionality nightmare. And with SFX form factor cases, you kind of want these to be easy to manage.
    Counterpoint: the heatshrink used to wrap the cables is far more inflexible that individual wiring or ribbons, which makes working in SFF situations (like, say, a Dan A4) a much bigger pain than individual or ribbon cables.

I mean, I have my AX1600i installed in a massive Caselabs TH10A case, and the damn cables look ugly as sin from having a massive 5cm tall cable sticking right out of my mobo's 24-pin ATX plug. Gonna have to spend well over $100 re-cabling the ATX, EPS and PCIe as a result.

Because of that, I firmly disagree on nicking points off ribbon or individual cabling, and want to see harsher penalties on in-cable caps: individual cabling is only slightly annoying, wanted by most aesthetics-focused builders, and easily solved with a mesh tube and two strips of velcro. In-cable caps in comparison are a pain in the butt and require expensive re-cabling to fix.

And before anyone says in-cable caps help ripple, the Antec SG-850 and Corsair AX1500i both did <15mV ripple at full load, 10 and 4 years ago respectively. Manufacturers should not be needing in-cable caps to achieve <15mV of ripple in 2018.

EDIT/addendum: Ultimately, I feel that sleeved, ribboned and individual cables shouldn't be penalised, merely mentioned, for the benefit of the reader; and in-cable capacitors should be penalised more strongly (the latter being an opinion that's soured after me buying and installing my AX1600i).
    Last edited by ZeDestructor; 11-05-2018 at 03:59 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZeDestructor For This Useful Post:

-The_Mask- (11-05-2018), awesomegamer919 (11-05-2018), McSteel (11-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Room for two more AON6590s you say? Plus the manual images. Hmm, so when can we expect the SF750 review?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ceski1 View Post
    Room for two more AON6590s you say? Plus the manual images. Hmm, so when can we expect the SF750 review?
    This month, see http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16179

Quote Originally Posted by ZeDestructor View Post
    Counterpoint: the heatshrink used to wrap the cables is far more inflexible that individual wiring or ribbons, which makes working in SFF situations (like, say, a Dan A4) a much bigger pain than individual or ribbon cables.

I mean, I have my AX1600i installed in a massive Caselabs TH10A case, and the damn cables look ugly as sin from having a massive 5cm tall cable sticking right out of my mobo's 24-pin ATX plug. Gonna have to spend well over $100 re-cabling the ATX, EPS and PCIe as a result.

Because of that, I firmly disagree on nicking points off ribbon or individual cabling, and want to see harsher penalties on in-cable caps: individual cabling is only slightly annoying, wanted by most aesthetics-focused builders, and easily solved with a mesh tube and two strips of velcro. In-cable caps in comparison are a pain in the butt and require expensive re-cabling to fix.

And before anyone says in-cable caps help ripple, the Antec SG-850 and Corsair AX1500i both did <15mV ripple at full load, 10 and 4 years ago respectively. Manufacturers should not be needing in-cable caps to achieve <15mV of ripple in 2018.

EDIT/addendum: Ultimately, I feel that sleeved, ribboned and individual cables shouldn't be penalised, merely mentioned, for the benefit of the reader; and in-cable capacitors should be penalised more strongly (the latter being an opinion that's soured after me buying and installing my AX1600i).
    I can only agree with this post.
    Last edited by -The_Mask-; 11-05-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    I don't see anything referring to this month, but that would be neat, if true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It would have to be here by the 23rd to have a shot with me before retirement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

23rd of November? ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yep - I think I have one slot still open, and still no sign of the other stuff that was supposed to be coming. First one here gets the glory, as long as it's all done by the 28th.