Thread: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold review at [H]ardOCP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Default Seasonic Focus Plus Gold review at [H]ardOCP

Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Someone must have mist the issues this PSU is having.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Someone must have mist the issues this PSU is having.
    What issue is that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    What issue is that?
    Issues, plural. You're saying you missed them all?

First the OCP was set to tight and/or to fast, Seasonic didn't do real life testing, so many have been produced with this problem. Around the same time people also noticed that some combination of graphics cards and Focus PSU's won't work because of extensive ripple. Seasonic can give you special cable with capacitor as a "fix". And it seems we got another problem now because Seasonic "fixed" the light OCP. It seems the Focus serie isn't build for a higher OCP trigger point and now gives a lot of ripple before the OCP is triggered. Also according to Seasonic their double 8 pins PEG cables should be used with a graphics card with a max power consumption till 225W. Which is quite low for a 550W power supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Hm, I'm a little more lenient here.
    -225W via PCIe cable plus another 75W via PCIe slot means 300W in total. If you run a graphics card exceeding 300W power draw it will be a very higgh end one. In this case I recommend to go for more watts. Plus I'd personally go for a true high end PSU model like Prime, not the cost efficient Focus series.
    -tight and fast OCP is for sure the safe choice. I can absolutely understand PSU engineer went for the safetst possible solution. The OCP trigger levels Seasonic is using allow much more powerdraw than specified already. I'd blame mostly the graphics cards vendors whose products are clearly exceeding Intel specs on transient loads while not even communicating this in public. If products requirements on powerdraw exceed Intel spec characteristics this should be clearly mentioned.
    - the aditional capaitor is probably not because of regular ripple but because of transient response.

Seasonic Focus transient response is so-so, true. Reviews checking transient response noticed this. Still, it's not like there is a long list of issues all PSU reviewers missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts

Fix your avatar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    Hm, I'm a little more lenient here.
    -225W via PCIe cable plus another 75W via PCIe slot means 300W in total. If you run a graphics card exceeding 300W power draw it will be a very higgh end one. In this case I recommend to go for more watts. Plus I'd personally go for a true high end PSU model like Prime, not the cost efficient Focus series.
    -tight and fast OCP is for sure the safe choice. I can absolutely understand PSU engineer went for the safetst possible solution. The OCP trigger levels Seasonic is using allow much more powerdraw than specified already. I'd blame mostly the graphics cards vendors whose products are clearly exceeding Intel specs on transient loads while not even communicating this in public. If products requirements on powerdraw exceed Intel spec characteristics this should be clearly mentioned.
    - the aditional capaitor is probably not because of regular ripple but because of transient response.

Seasonic Focus transient response is so-so, true. Reviews checking transient response noticed this. Still, it's not like there is a long list of issues all PSU reviewers missed.
    They are talking about total 225W GPU, in the 550W they got 1 cable and unused pcie slots.....
    https://knowledge.seasonic.com/artic...graphics-cards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    -225W via PCIe cable plus another 75W via PCIe slot means 300W in total.
    In this case they were talking about 225W total power consumption of one graphics card. Also a high-end graphics card takes around 30W max or so through a PCI Express slot, 75W is only the max. So it's probably more like 200W through the PCI Express cable and 25W through the PCI Express slot.

I can absolutely understand PSU engineer went for the safest possible solution.
    Of course, but if they did extensive testing they would know that it wouldn't work in practice. If you have only one graphics card, GTX 1080 Ti, Vega 64, RTX 2080 Ti or Vega VII and it won't work with a 750W power supply, but does with all other similar power supplies you are the one with the problem. That's why Seasonic changes the OCP trip point and created another problem, because it seems the PSU isn't build for those higher currents.

the aditional capaitor is probably not because of regular ripple but because of transient response.

Could be, but Seasonic isn't open about the problems, they only said ripple, no further explanation.