Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W randomly power off in games

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W randomly power off in games

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    CS or GS?

    If it was a CS, it's not that old and not a bad PSU. No reason to replace.

    If it was a GS.. Yeah.... Throw it away.
    I wouldn't normally necro, but I just had to here. I upgraded from a Corsair GS600 to a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W. A while later I upgraded from an R9 290 to an RX Vega 56... and then the system would randomly power off in games.

    Popped the old GS600 back in, everything's fine... so uh, a six year old GS600 is better than a one year old Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Germany, Berlin
    Posts
    1,626
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    977
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    32
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

    Default

    Hm, have you RMA'd the Seasonic already? Could be simply a unit which doesn't work properly.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    Hm, have you RMA'd the Seasonic already? Could be simply a unit which doesn't work properly.
    In the process. It worked fine with the R9 290 (which on average draws more power than the RX Vega 56), and Seasonic has acknowledged the issue and apparently fixed it on newer units.

    I was just struck by the coincidence that I had specifically the PSU model Jonny was saying you should "throw away" in reserve to save the day.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakkura For This Useful Post:

    ehume (10-11-2018)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    340
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    18
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

    Default

    FOCUS has had some noted issues with AMD Vega where the PSU will turn off, message Seasonic about an RMA and mention that you have a Vega card and see if they can help you.
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,144
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    543
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    286
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    I wouldn't normally necro, but I just had to here.
    No. I don't blame you. Seems this problem keeps popping up.

    Guess it's good to hang onto that GS as a back up. You never know....

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    1,996
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    114
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    57
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

    Default

    And here am I wondering what it means to necro?

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,371
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    381
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    115
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    FOCUS has had some noted issues with AMD Vega where the PSU will turn off, message Seasonic about an RMA and mention that you have a Vega card and see if they can help you.
    Actually not only Vega, this problems Seasonic is heaving can occur with quite some high end graphics cards. And there are a lot that are affected. From the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold serie alone it could be around 50% of the produced power supplies. (don't know about the Platinum and non Plus version btw)

    They fixed the problem in the 650W, 750W and 850W model in April, but probably around 50% of those models is produced for April. (But you can still get affected ones if you buy old stock of course) They also didn't fix the problem in the 550W version.

    A case of very bad testing from Seasonic and only care for good performance in reviews.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,371
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    381
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    115
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    No. I don't blame you. Seems this problem keeps popping up.
    These are to different problems, the topic starter has a different problem.

    raszhx the topic starter has a Asus Strix GTX 970 which won't work with a Seasonic Focus without a special cable with a capacitor, because of high ripple of the PSU that causes black screens on the graphics card. This only happens if you combine the Asus Strix GTX 970 with a Seasonic Focus. With a different GTX 970 card or a different power supply the problem won't occur.

    Sakkura has a complete shutdown of the power supply because OCP is shutting down the power supply way to early.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

    Sakkura (10-11-2018)

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,144
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    543
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    286
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    These are to different problems, the topic starter has a different problem.

    raszhx the topic starter has a Asus Strix GTX 970 which won't work with a Seasonic Focus without a special cable with a capacitor, because of high ripple of the PSU that causes black screens on the graphics card. This only happens if you combine the Asus Strix GTX 970 with a Seasonic Focus. With a different GTX 970 card or a different power supply the problem won't occur.

    Sakkura has a complete shutdown of the power supply because OCP is shutting down the power supply way to early.
    You're right.

    I've split the posts off into their own thread.

    These aren't the same problems. Only the same PSU.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    340
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    18
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Actually not only Vega, this problems Seasonic is heaving can occur with quite some high end graphics cards. And there are a lot that are affected. From the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold serie alone it could be around 50% of the produced power supplies. (don't know about the Platinum and non Plus version btw)

    They fixed the problem in the 650W, 750W and 850W model in April, but probably around 50% of those models is produced for April. (But you can still get affected ones if you buy old stock of course) They also didn't fix the problem in the 550W version.

    A case of very bad testing from Seasonic and only care for good performance in reviews.
    I say the thread on it on Tweakers,but I've yet to find a solid source for anything but the 970 and AMD Vega, Google Translate is questionable and I don't speak Dutch
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

Similar Threads

  1. Seasonic Focus FM 650W Gold PSU Review
    By omgfire in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-08-2018, 07:16 PM
  2. Seasonic Focus Plus 550W vs EVGA 650 GQ 650W 80 Plus Gold?
    By cupraikso in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-09-2018, 02:08 PM
  3. Seasonic Focus Gold 650W - black screen while gaming
    By MrTofu in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-21-2018, 06:42 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-14-2018, 01:43 PM
  5. Seasonic FOCUS PLUS Gold (FX) 650W PSU Review @PCPer
    By -The_Mask- in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-07-2017, 08:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •