Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: did i damage my cpu

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default did i damage my cpu

i have i5-8600, and was installed in z370 board, asus...i was having trouble getting power to the motherboard, and i accidently attaced the 8 pin connector to the motherbord for cpu, with it on...i heard a electircal snap noise...anyhow, i sent the motherboard to asus, and they sent me another..now when i boot the computer, its starts for 2 or 3 seconds, and immediately shuts off...could i have damaged the cpu connecting the 8 pin power to motherboard when it was on before i got the replacement board????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts

What do you mean "you accidently attached the 8-pin connector"?

Was it the PCIe instead of the EPS12V? Was it a cable from another PSU from a model other than what you're using? Seems like we're missing some information here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i had the computer on, i forgot to plug in the 8pin connector from psu that is used to power the cpu, no not pcie,s ...so i plug it into motherboard, and hear a loud crack noise when i did it..then i realized the psu was on. the big problem i had was not getting power to the motherboard,,,,only the lights would turn on on the motherboard., and the fans, nothing would spin. i sent the motherboard to ausus, and they sent me another...now what happens is the fans would spin a couple seconds, and then everything shuts off...i was just wondering when i plug the 8pin connector to the previous motherboard, and heard the electrical snap sound...could i have damaged the cpu

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts

What PSU? All cables used came with that PSU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    What PSU? All cables used came with that PSU?
    i only have one psu...i have one 8pin connector that connects to the motherboard...i connected it to the motherboard with the power supply turned on....i did not know it. and then i heard the cracking sound as i connected it to the motherboard....intel cpus require 8 pin connnector.. the big problem ii was having, no power to the motherboard..,,i sent it to asus for replacement...now i get power the motherboard, because the fans spin..but only for 2 seconds ......i have the psu mounted in the case....this is very simple, i had power supply on, and connected the 8pin connector cable from the power supply to the motherboard 8 pin connector for the cpu..is it that hard to understand...when i installed the 8 pin connector to motherboard with psu on, i heard a cracking sound...this was on the asus motherboard i sent to asus for replacement
    Last edited by ronss; 09-02-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Attached Images Attached Images
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to McSteel For This Useful Post:

Jon Gerow (09-03-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts

Yeah. I'm stepping out of this until there's a coherent post to respond to.

Nothing too complicated about answering "what PSU?" as in "what make and model PSU" and "all cables used came with that PSU", as in: These are the correct cables for the application and are the ones that came with that particular PSU and not something obtained separately, i.e. aftermarket."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

From what I could gather, OP plugged in the 8-pin CPU cable while the PSU was powered on, and as it made contact with the pins on the motherboard, he heard an electrical "snap", which seemed to have fried the motherboard.

Sounds a lot like contact short, perhaps the plug and connector didn't quite mate properly and/or the motherboard bent under pressure causing the solder-side pins to short on something (the case?), but can't really say for certain due to a language barrier...
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

maybe i am not quite clear on my messages, not meaning to be a smart jerk....when i connected the 8 pin, it made a snape noise. there was a problem with the motherboard before i connected the 8 pin connector, it was getting no power..when i turned power on earlier with 8 pin connected, the fans, nothing would turn on..that is why i sent it to asus for replacement..the board i have now now(the one asus sent), the fans start, and then it shuts down in 2 seconds..i was wondering if maybe i damaged the cpu earlier on the other board when i connecded the 8 pin and heard the snap noise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ronss View Post
    maybe i am not quite clear on my messages, not meaning to be a smart jerk....when i connected the 8 pin, it made a snape noise. there was a problem with the motherboard before i connected the 8 pin connector, it was getting no power..when i turned power on earlier with 8 pin connected, the fans, nothing would turn on..that is why i sent it to asus for replacement..the board i have now now(the one asus sent), the fans start, and then it shuts down in 2 seconds..i was wondering if maybe i damaged the cpu earlier on the other board when i connecded the 8 pin and heard the snap noise
    What he's asking is which model and brand was/is your PSU?, And if you're sure that the cable you connected was the EPS and not the PCI-E cable? Since both the EPS and PCI-E are 8-pin cables, and sometimes can be confused with each other.

Usually EPS (The one for the CPU) is split by two connectors, 4 pins each, while the PCI-E is a single 8 pin, or a split connectors, one with 6 pins and the second with 2 pin.

Usually, when you connect something turned on it will make a shock, but if the voltage was the right one it shouldn't had fried the chip so easily (the MoBo has protections, usually they are quite good, but never be so sure about those, and plug every thing with the PSU off.), unless you used the wrong connector. That's why Jonny was asking you about "What" PSU you are using, and the cables.