Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coolermaster Masterwatt Lite 600W 230V Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheStoka View Post
    The review says the sample was provided by N/A so I would imagine they brought this unit.
    Nope... otherwise we would have provided the full range version that is sold in the US.
    Most of the points mentioned in the review, nothing I can bring against... I can just say that our QC will check why the unit was out of spec.

One thing I like to comment although, @Wolf: I hope you can check the fan by tearing it apart instead of only looking at the part number.
    Its actually HDB instead of sleeve, but the vendor keeps the same number for both.
    - Powershifter -

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Demanufacture For This Useful Post:

ehume (10-08-2018), GDILord (10-08-2018), TheStoka (10-08-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The GBU606 without heatsink is rated at ~2.85A at 100C rectified current.
    I wonder what the "input" is rated at?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I like the new grading scheme, yeah. Crosslaods are normal nowadays, so crossload voltage regulation should count for the results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Exactly and because of that shouldn't this also affect the functionality score?
    Performance issues should go in the performance score alone

Quote Originally Posted by Demanufacture View Post
    Its actually HDB instead of sleeve, but the vendor keeps the same number for both.
    I score all the sleeve variants the same way - on warranty. I've had a lot of ex power supply fans that were supposed to be long life fail in the mining rigs after just a few months. Only ball bearing gets an exception to that in scoring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rexper View Post
    The GBU606 without heatsink is rated at ~2.85A at 100C rectified current.
    I wonder what the "input" is rated at?
    Usually you just have to correct for efficiency at the usual working temperature. I'd say it's fair to assume 85% at steady state so ~2.4A. Should hold at 230V, although near the operating limit. Regular dips below 210V might be an issue in terms of longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Demanufacture View Post
    I can just say that our QC will check why the unit was out of spec.
    They won't have to look far; the coil is too small and/or the duty cycle is too low, and/or the secondary capacitance is insufficient or there is return EMC due to high ESR of the pi-filter. In other words, bad electrical design.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Assimilator View Post
    Coolermaster should be absolutely ashamed that they put their name to this terrible unit.

Wolfy, I really feel that in cases like this - where a unit is so bad you cannot, in good conscience, recommend its purchase - you should forgo scoring it, and simply slap a big fat "FAILED" on the last page as a warning to readers to avoid at all costs.
    Trouble is, as much as we are almost emotionally invested against subpar units (and even more so when it comes to outright dangerous ones), this unit does have a potential to be useful, in certain scenarios. Older machines with more 5V load, no advanced low power states, etc. It's probably a servicable drop-in replacement for a lot of older hardware that may have used a low quality PSU previously, or perhaps are boutique or brand-name machines that use standard ATX supplies which have expired. Even so, it would have to be even cheaper to be justified as a choice, given so many other PSUs near or below the asking price that are better performing due to a more modern topology.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    Unfortunately every PC basically causes crossload nowadays.
    The crux of the issue, but since it was highlighted multiple times in the review, it should be obvious why the score is so (deservedly) low.
    And on that note:

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    I like the new grading scheme, yeah. Crosslaods are normal nowadays, so crossload voltage regulation should count for the results.
    Ditto.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to McSteel For This Useful Post:

Rexper (10-08-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think I'll stick to the zero load configuration for the crossload tests, unless someone has a compelling argument not to do so. DC-DC and indy regulated units should have little problem with that, and in fact next week's unit managed mythic numbers despite the scoring change.

We've just come to a point now where it's in nobody's best interests to play with these old group designs anymore for new builds.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:

rafal_iB_PL (10-08-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    I think I'll stick to the zero load configuration for the crossload tests, unless someone has a compelling argument not to do so. DC-DC and indy regulated units should have little problem with that, and in fact next week's unit managed mythic numbers despite the scoring change.

We've just come to a point now where it's in nobody's best interests to play with these old group designs anymore for new builds.
    Seems fair, both to manufacturers and to consumers. The message is: "If you're going to employ an old design, you better make it work as good as a newer one:"

I myself have to qualms with group regulation if it's done correctly. However, the nature of the beast is such that group reg immune to zero-load will either shut down due to it or will absolutely murder its efficiency by employing inline minimum-load resistors.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Will it be possible to review more Cooler Master units like CM MWE Gold or Bronze?
    VS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have no other CM units on the review shelf, and am no longer accepting new units for testing due to my upcoming retirement from reviewing. Not sure what Tazz has planned.

As long as the units that are supposedly incoming arrive, there's no more room in the schedule for new review samples for me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:

Philipus II (10-08-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    Finally
    And didn't I say that for years? ;-)

But yeah, Group regulated should be gone.
    And I hope that Cooler Master will make a V2 of at least the 550W Master Watt MWE and use the DC-DC version of the Plattform...