Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silverstone NJ450-SXL Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Perhaps a dirty environment
    I'm getting horrible flashbacks to working on customer systems that had been subjected to the 'chain smoker' treatment. This PSU might save one part of the system from cancer stick exposure (or just lots of dust), but you'd still have your mainboard, HSF/radiator covered in gunk.

Still, maybe for cases which draw PSU air from outside the case? Can go nuts with air filtration on the intake fans, with the flow in the case also cooling the PSU in the process without having to worry about adding the same filters to the bottom of the case
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site. Yes, I'm a girl geek

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    Probably useful for audio-recording PCs and such as well, I guess. Though one still needs to have some airflow in the system. Heatsinking this PSU to an enclosure seems somewhat tricky.

Didn't Zalman at one point make this one fanless system (case) with heatpipes and such running from the sides of the case (big, clunky heatsinks) to the components that had to be cooled? I wonder how this PSU would fit into such a system

You're bringing back the good old days! Took forever to find the Zalman TNN 500AF. That thing was a hideous beast to work in, even back in the day.

You do have some newer cases like those from HD Plex or Streacom, but neither use SFX power supplies.

Speaking from experience of building a PC for a recording studio (about 4 years ago now), the fanless action is definitely an important factor for them as every fan added to the system is additive to the sound profile. I actually ended up going with a passive Seasonic unit (SS-460FL) in a Bitfenix Prodigy with a Spectre Pro 230mm fan upfront and Thermalright Macho HR-02 cooler with the rear fan removed. CPU was a 4770K overclocked to 4.4Ghz /1.1v with 32GB of DDR3 1866Mhz CL8 RAM.

Ended up being a pretty damn powerful machine and the only noise was from the Bitfenix fan (as IGP was used.)

That machine is still running now, but it's been modified with a GPU and new CPU cooler; it's now a gaming machine and we just built a new workstation for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    I'm getting horrible flashbacks to working on customer systems that had been subjected to the 'chain smoker' treatment. This PSU might save one part of the system from cancer stick exposure (or just lots of dust), but you'd still have your mainboard, HSF/radiator covered in gunk.

Still, maybe for cases which draw PSU air from outside the case? Can go nuts with air filtration on the intake fans, with the flow in the case also cooling the PSU in the process without having to worry about adding the same filters to the bottom of the case
    If you ever need to work on another system like that again, you can consider using our Mammoth MM01 case too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStone View Post
    If you ever need to work on another system like that again, you can consider using our Mammoth MM01 case too.
    [..] a chassis capable of surviving harsh environments [..]
    I'd say that describes those chain smoker environments to a T I'll definitely keep that case in mind. Sounds like it may come in handy at some point.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site. Yes, I'm a girl geek

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStone View Post
    Well, its seems rather pricey, although it seems nice...