Thread: Help: Is my card bad, or my CPU is bottlenecking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help: Is my card bad, or my CPU is bottlenecking?

Hi guys, I decided to buy a used ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti OC card at a discounted price. The guy that sold it to me said that it was used only for a day and it never was used but for a project he connected 6 projectors and stored to never be used again (I think he used 2, since I saw another publication of his with the same card.).

I received the card and installed afterwards. I began to make some tests with it (Metro Last Light Benchmark, 2715 x 1527 because for some reason 1440p is not present.) and the results... I'm not so convinced that the card is what he claimed it was.

I tried to overclocking with +70 to the main clock and +200 on Mem Clock, and test with Unigine Heaven, but it crashes on windowed mode, so I tried Metro LL Benchmark. It didn't crashed, fortunately, but still I'm not so sure of the results.

I'm copy-pasting my results (3 runs) and posting the graphs. Mostly, the help I ask is if someone could tell that the results are consistent with my rig setup.

Rig:

For some reason the RAM is not showing the right frequency, it is overclocked at 2933 @ 18-20-20-39

Afterburner:

METRO LL BENCHMARK RESULTS
    2018-09-24 22:06:28
    Preset 0
    Options: Resolution: 2715 x 1527; DirectX: DirectX 11; Quality: Very High; Texture filtering: AF 16X; Advanced PhysX: Disabled; Tesselation: Very High; Motion Blur: Low; SSAA: ON;

Run 0 (D6 )
    Total Frames: 11030, Total Time: 171.1949 sec
    Average Framerate: 64.46
    Max. Framerate: 117.77 (Frame: 9058)
    Min. Framerate: 9.66 (Frame: 9804)

Run 1 (D6 )
    Total Frames: 11047, Total Time: 171.2665 sec
    Average Framerate: 64.54
    Max. Framerate: 119.42 (Frame: 9084)
    Min. Framerate: 9.05 (Frame: 5395)

Run 2 (D6 )
    Total Frames: 11014, Total Time: 171.2685 sec
    Average Framerate: 64.34
    Max. Framerate: 120.93 (Frame: 9013)
    Min. Framerate: 5.89 (Frame: 6975)

Average Results
    Average Framerate: 64.33
    Max. Framerate: 120.93
    Min. Framerate: 5.89
    I really HOPE is the CPU.

Thanks guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Hmm...

I will say that I don't think it's the card.

But I don't think it's the CPU either.

Sorry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Joel Dash Reed (09-25-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Have you done any runs without overclocking? A 2Ghz core clock on a Pascal card is pretty high, the normal boost clock of that card is 1708 MHz.

Have you tried running the Metro benchmark without any overclocking? Have you tried any other benchmarks?

With that said, Metro is a very sporadic benchmark and has been known to go high and drop low pretty hard depending on the system configuration. It's not known for consistency among systems but your results are pretty close to KitGuru's.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

Joel Dash Reed (09-25-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Have you done any runs without overclocking? A 2Ghz core clock on a Pascal card is pretty high, the normal boost clock of that card is 1708 MHz.

Have you tried running the Metro benchmark without any overclocking? Have you tried any other benchmarks?

With that said, Metro is a very sporadic benchmark and has been known to go high and drop low pretty hard depending on the system configuration. It's not known for consistency among systems but your results are pretty close to KitGuru's.
    Oveclocked, tried Unigine Heaven, but it crashed sometimes. As not overclocked, yes I did, but with Physx activated so I made a re-run, without Physx.

METRO LL BENCHMARK RESULTS
    2018-09-25 20:13:43
    Preset 0
    Options: Resolution: 1920 x 1080; DirectX: DirectX 11; Quality: Very High; Texture filtering: AF 16X; Advanced PhysX: Disabled; Tesselation: Very High; Motion Blur: Low; SSAA: ON;

Run 0 (D6 )
    Total Frames: 17201, Total Time: 171.2432 sec
    Average Framerate: 100.48
    Max. Framerate: 177.87 (Frame: 13987)
    Min. Framerate: 13.18 (Frame: 734)

Run 1 (D6 )
    Total Frames: 17168, Total Time: 171.2881 sec
    Average Framerate: 100.26
    Max. Framerate: 169.89 (Frame: 13934)
    Min. Framerate: 10.17 (Frame: 13450)

Run 2 (D6 )
    Total Frames: 17048, Total Time: 171.2843 sec
    Average Framerate: 99.57
    Max. Framerate: 177.65 (Frame: 13899)
    Min. Framerate: 10.29 (Frame: 14793)

Average Results
    Average Framerate: 100.00
    Max. Framerate: 177.87
    Min. Framerate: 10.17

Graphs:

And made Heaven and Valley, from Unigine.

One particular thing I noted is that in Unigine, the boost managed to reach 1999 MHz.

And it is not overclocked. DX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another Unigine Benchmark:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Heaven & Valley have oddly low minimum FPS but Superposition looks to be on target (comparison for you).

I think you have something in your system that is causing some kind of hitching. Perhaps try loading your benchmarks onto a different drive. If they are on an HDD then there might be something wrong with that drive, if it's an SSD monitor it's usage in task manager and see if it has any random spikes while the benchmark is running.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

Joel Dash Reed (09-26-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

If you have a spare hard drive or SSD, then only connect that one and do a clean install, with the right drivers of course, on that drive for testing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

Joel Dash Reed (09-26-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried a run with mostly all background stuff closed, and windowed mode. Got worse results than last time, and at least didn't say too much activity, but a lot of writing spikes on my SSD (Where the unigine is installed.).

My SSD is a WD Green SATA.

And I don't have a spare SSD. :C I would need to buy one new and install everything to check if it is my SSD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After one BSOD while watching a Youtube video and constant crashing on my games, I decided to look under the hood of the card and, as a last resort, flashing the VBIOS.

TL;DR: Check the image at the end, it seems the FPS are better, now I have yet to test on games.

But yeah, at first my PC began to crash while playing games, at first I dismissed the first crashes because it was Battlefield 1 and the PC crashed very often inside that game (With the old Sandy Bridge Core i5, the old GTX 970 and with my new Ryzen build with the old GTX 970.) in the menus, so I thought it was the game in the end. Suddenly, a game not so demanding, and one I didn't had any troubles before, began to crash constantly, and when the BSOD happened when I was watching an eFFing youtube video, that's when I said "Screw this! I'm gonna look under the hood and flash VBIOS.".

So, I opened the card, cleaned the old TIM and realize that, yes, it was a GTX 1080Ti, so WTF was happening? I cleaned again, added new TIM and closed the card.

Yeah, I need to replace that thermal pad, Which one would you recommend? I was thinking Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8, but I read somewhere else that you also need to be careful about the pad's thickness.

Also, the card seems not to have had any heavy workload by the look on the PCB. However, the seller was right about the amount of dust on it due to storage. At least he was honest about it.

Now, after looking at the hardware, I made my move today and flashed the BIOS. After reading on Overclockers and everywhere else I could, I began the process and... NVidia released new drivers, which was quite unexpected, but necesary after flashing my BIOS. Two restarts later, a Heaven Benchmarking later and...

Huh, interesting results, the Min went up, while Max and AVG were kinda low, but within spec. I'm gonna play some games and see how this little bashing on my head ends up. I just want to play games in peace and no crashes. T-T

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah Probably the same approach, reflash it, Put a Block on it or something and never go over 50-60c.
    One of those China blocks that looks like something that was on a 290 or something lol
    Ryzen 2600x 4.3 1.375v, Loop
    MSI X470 Gaming Plus
    Evga SuperSC 3200mhz CL15
    PNY NVME 480gb
    Mushkin ECo3 480gb
    WD Blue 1tb
    Cooler Master GX II Pro 750w