Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: PSU unit went up in smoke today and looking for cause?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    I disagree. AND USPS is more expensive to boot.

Neither is DHL, but in my area at least, UPS and FedEx are god awful while the local postal office actually has a clue about what they're doing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Neither is DHL, but in my area at least, UPS and FedEx are god awful while the local postal office actually has a clue about what they're doing.
    Ah, it reminds me of my country's postal service... they preferred to outsource the packages to a private company (The name's Aeroflash, is a local private courier.), and it takes ages to deliver a package, but if it is something that you bought on the US, or other country, Customs is really forgiving about import taxes.

DHL is a very good service, and pretty fast in here, but pray that the package you are receiving is not from outside the country: Customs is quite unforgiving to private held couriers, and always will apply you the full extent of the taxes. ;_;

And FedEx... it sucks in Mexico, it plainly sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guys you think its ok to ship it in its original box or should I add foam and popcorn to an even bigger box?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidm71 View Post
    Guys you think its ok to ship it in its original box or should I add foam and popcorn to an even bigger box?
    It needs packing material. That retail box is not a shipping box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Retail shipping box

Ok Thanks.

Fwiw I cant tell you how many times I have received products like monitors shipped in their retail box but I’ll ship it the proper way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts

Ok Thanks.

Fwiw I cant tell you how many times I have received products like monitors shipped in their retail box but I’ll ship it the proper way.
    Monitors are different. They are framed with high density foam all the way around, front and back. PSUs don't pack this way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Ok Thanks.

Monitors and cases generally have a foam insert on the inside of the box to absorb heavy impacts as well as extra protective cardboard. That's why they ship them like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Maybe you forgot this is the PSU forum and we're talking about PSUs.
    Nope... specifically why I lurked about while I did.

Seasonic gives me a hard button to test the PSU fan. Corsair makes me do a procedure to test the fan and only when the system is off.

Their iLink stuff which is on the same class of PSU means another cable, hijacking a USB header, and running their software or running SIV(Which from the little I used it seems decent, and the people I know personally say it's far better than the Corsair bloat).

I understand that my distaste of Corsair warranty and support, isn't tied to their other products, but as a company I can't vote with my wallet in such a manner.

I will say that their mag bearing fans are probably the closest to cracking on buying one of their products in the last two years.

Who knows what the future will bring. I did honestly consider a Corsair against the Seasonic 850 Platinum. I ended up going for the SS Titanium 750W after looking at my systems load, and a 750 is more than enough. Happy coincidence that it worked out cheaper too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamefoo21 View Post
    Seasonic gives me a hard button to test the PSU fan. Corsair makes me do a procedure to test the fan and only when the system is off.
    What?

The PSU's with Zero RPM mode does an initial fan test when you first power up.

The "procedure to test the fan and only when the system is off"????? What are you even talking about???? Is that a different brand PSU or something or did you misread someone's instructions?

And your hatred for Link... Ok... I get it. But a PSU that supports Link isn't the ONLY choice that Corsair offers. And even if the PSU supports Link, doesn't mean you have to use it. "I don't like LINK, so instead of buying a PSU from a company that makes PSUs that support LINK, I bought a PSU that offers absolutely zero software monitoring or control whatsoever."

Seriously. Listen to yourself. You're just trolling now. Nothing more.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 09-13-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To update this thread I looked into shipping costs to send the PSU back to Corsair. As for ground shipping Fedex was the the most expensive at around $70-$80, then UPS at $60-$70, and lastly the USPS came up on top at $44 to ship including tracking. So I went with USPS. I also spent about $13 on packing supplies so my total cost was around $57 to send it back which was almost the price of a new one.