Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: PSU for 2950X workstation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default PSU for 2950X workstation

    Hello,

    I'm looking for a suiting PSU for my new workstation:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DqqrpG

    I will be buying 64GB of RAM for now, but will upgrade to 128GB in the coming months, so I put it there to be considered. Also I'll be adding more storage with time. I don't intend on adding any more GPUs. Also I think I don't intend on overclocking the CPU.

    I was thinking of getting EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 (€258.44) or Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000W Titanium (€290.90), so I read jonny's reviews on them, but still can't make up my mind (price difference doesn't really matter at this point). Do I even need 1000W? Asking not because I want to skimp on the PSU, but because I wanna make the best choice. I'll be using the pc for some heavy simulation work and rendering, but it won't be under full load the whole time. I'm ordering from alternate.de or alzashop.com or german amazon site.

    Thanks
    Last edited by just_bob; 09-07-2018 at 03:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,372
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    381
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    115
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

    Default

    No you don't need a 1000W power supply. The max power consumption will be around 500W and a high quality 650W power supply with a second EPS connector will be more then enough.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    No you don't need a 1000W power supply. The max power consumption will be around 500W and a high quality 650W power supply with a second EPS connector will be more then enough.
    So I guess Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650W? I feel like I would like to have some more headroom in case I change my mind about overclocking and for future upgrades, so I'm kinda inclining towards 750W. Am I being silly?

    Thanks for your input

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    1,996
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    114
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    57
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

    Default

    Lets say you actually use that 700W for 8 hours a day... in a few years that is costing you $1,000 in electricity, so on those grounds alone, do you really want a 700W machine?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,148
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    543
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    286
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Lets say you actually use that 700W for 8 hours a day... in a few years that is costing you $1,000 in electricity, so on those grounds alone, do you really want a 700W machine?
    I'm sorry?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,372
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    381
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    115
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just_bob View Post
    So I guess Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650W? I feel like I would like to have some more headroom in case I change my mind about overclocking and for future upgrades, so I'm kinda inclining towards 750W. Am I being silly?

    Thanks for your input
    750W can be useful for example if you overclock the CPU and upgrade to a RTX 2080 Ti. But I wouldn't go for a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium power supply, you're just paying for a 80PLUS Titanium batch, without the power supply being really better than many other high-end power supplies.

    Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium series for example lacks for example multiple over current protections on the 12V, the fan is also not a high quality one. That is something an expensive power supply like the Ultra Titanium should have in my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Lets say you actually use that 700W for 8 hours a day... in a few years that is costing you $1,000 in electricity, so on those grounds alone, do you really want a 700W machine?
    If you're using it for work, a slower PC could cost you even more money, because you can do less work in the same time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    124
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    29
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just_bob View Post
    Hello,

    I'm looking for a suiting PSU for my new workstation:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DqqrpG

    I will be buying 64GB of RAM for now, but will upgrade to 128GB in the coming months, so I put it there to be considered. Also I'll be adding more storage with time. I don't intend on adding any more GPUs. Also I think I don't intend on overclocking the CPU.

    I was thinking of getting EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 (€258.44) or Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000W Titanium (€290.90), so I read jonny's reviews on them, but still can't make up my mind (price difference doesn't really matter at this point). Do I even need 1000W? Asking not because I want to skimp on the PSU, but because I wanna make the best choice. I'll be using the pc for some heavy simulation work and rendering, but it won't be under full load the whole time. I'm ordering from alternate.de or alzashop.com or german amazon site.

    Thanks
    Ofc you don't need it to be 1000W, but you need it to be high quality.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 09-07-2018 at 09:23 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    750W can be useful for example if you overclock the CPU and upgrade to a RTX 2080 Ti. But I wouldn't go for a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium power supply, you're just paying for a 80PLUS Titanium batch, without the power supply being really better than many other high-end power supplies.

    Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium series for example lacks for example multiple over current protections on the 12V, the fan is also not a high quality one. That is something an expensive power supply like the Ultra Titanium should have in my opinion.
    I just don't feel safe with 650W while pcpartpicker is showing over 600W usage and I can see that number going over 650W as I add more storage (that's kind of the whole point of this mobo). I'm aware it's max draw that's displayed but I'm having a hard time imagining this power draw to be near 50% of 650W. Sometimes work requires pc to be on full draw for several consecutive days. Please advise.

    So besides Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium series my options are:

    EVGA:
    750W: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ or EVGA SuperNova 750 G3
    650W: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G+ or EVGA SuperNova 650 G3
    All 4 of those are pretty cheap, though I dislike the idea of buying anything below platinum.

    Corsair
    750W: Corsair HX750 or Corsair RM750i
    650W: Corsair RM650x or Corsair TX650M

    Can you recommend some PSU? I don't really feel like playing a guessing game anymore.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,372
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    381
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    115
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just_bob View Post
    I just don't feel safe with 650W while pcpartpicker is showing over 600W usage and I can see that number going over 650W as I add more storage (that's kind of the whole point of this mobo).
    Well then don't use PCPartpicker, but use something that is more close to the truth.

    though I dislike the idea of buying anything below platinum.
    You know that has nothing to do with quality right?

    Can you recommend some PSU? I don't really feel like playing a guessing game anymore.
    Corsair RM750x 2018, be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W or Corsair HX750 2017, those are high quality power supplies, for a fair price and have a second EPS connector.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    314
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    34
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Hi just_bob,

    All the power supplies listed here in this thread are all very good. You need not worry about the power supply platform if it is single or multi 12V rails or the type of fans used. All are good enough to enable the brands to provide long warranty periods.

    What you should do is make sure what ever brand you purchase will have a good warranty service / policy, just in case if somethings goes wrong a few years down the road and the reseller no longer provides the warranty service and you must contact the brand directly.

    You can do this by contacting each brand and asking them about their process, cost, time, etc.

    Have a nice weekend.

Similar Threads

  1. Very quiet PSU around 400W for a workstation (70€)
    By cifroes in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-02-2018, 11:41 PM
  2. Workstation PSU Conundrum
    By AreEss in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 11:15 PM
  3. Uber Workstation. Enough Power?
    By ViperJPB in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 12:55 PM
  4. Workstation PS
    By curran.chris in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-03-2009, 04:54 AM
  5. I need help with a Workstation
    By Teto in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2007, 12:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •