Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: did i damage my cpu

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i build my own computers, i know the difference between pcie and 8 pin motherboard 8 pin connnector...my pcie connectors have a spit extra 2 pins, and are labled....there is only one 8 pin connector for the motherboard...i believe the psu a reconditioned thermaltake i bought years ago....all i want to know , is did damage something connecting the 8 pin connector to motherboard with psu on, and it snaped when i connected it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

also, i like math and physics, and hate grammar and english

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ronss View Post
    i build my own computers, i know the difference between pcie and 8 pin motherboard 8 pin connnector...my pcie connectors have a spit extra 2 pins, and are labled....there is only one 8 pin connector for the motherboard...i believe the psu a reconditioned thermaltake i bought years ago....all i want to know , is did damage something connecting the 8 pin connector to motherboard with psu on, and it snaped when i connected it
    I see guys all the time that build their own computers that accidently use a modular cable from a Corsair on an Antec or from a SilverStone on a Thermaltake and end up frying stuff. So the fact that you build your own computers means nothing to me.

This isn't a contest over dick size. This is just me making sure you're using the correct cable with that particular PSU. Unless of course it's a non-modular PSU and there's no way the wrong cable could be used because it's fixed, but if you could just simply state what the PSU is we would be well past this point by now.

Fact of the matter is: YOU posted your question in the PSU subforum which means you suspect the PSU. If there's anything to be suspect about the PSU is if you used the wrong cable with your particular PSU. Not necessarily a PCIe vs. an EPS12V, but the wrong BRAND cable on your brand PSU.

The chances are that the CPU is fried is not impossible, but very slim. Coffee Lake CPUs don't have on-die VRM's. So the VRM's on the mobo would take the brunt force of any short, incorrect voltage, etc. The board would die, but the CPU could be unscathed.

If you're troubleshooting with nothing but the PSU, motherboard, CPU and cooler and nothing else (no add-in cards, no memory, etc.) and it still doesn't post, then I would first suspect the PSU. Especially if it was a refurbished Thermaltake with fixed cables because that sounds like a highly suspicious time bomb (Thermaltake has no good fixed cable PSUs that I know of. They're all garbage).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't get mad, bro. We ask this basic stuff just to help you, not to be smart-ass pricks.

And yes, I would suggest also you use another PSU, just in case.

Now, normally the high end (ROG Strix and the red ROG ones.), and some PRIME MoBos have 3 or 4 lights that turn on sequentially: First, is the CPU test, the second is the RAM, Video card is third if it is on the Motherboard, and the last is BOOT OK. If the light stays on the CPU and then restart, it means the CPU is dead, if it stays on the memory, then it is a Memory fault, so check those sticks are well placed on their slots by removing them, put them again in place and giving them a good gentle push (RAM is kinda difficult to install sometimes.). The graphics card is very unlikely to had been affected.

If it got no lights to see the POST status... try the RAM steps I wrote before. If that doesn't help, and all other possibilities yields the same result, well: Time to buy another CPU, I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you hot-plug the EPS12V 8pin connector to the motherboard, it probably cause a surge on the +12V rail, and make some damage to the components nearby.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    If you hot-plug the EPS12V 8pin connector to the motherboard, it probably cause a surge on the +12V rail, and make some damage to the components nearby.
    Which is why he had to replace the motherboard.

But the PC still isn't working.

But that's all we know. We don't know what troubleshooting he's already done, how stripped down the PC is at this point. We don't even know what PSU he has.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    (Thermaltake has no good fixed cable PSUs that I know of. They're all garbage).
    Smart 750p/m, CWT PUQ-B re-brand
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i am replacing psu now, its a pc power and cooling, believe it was a fairly good psu during its time. i will replace it with my new seasonic focus 750. if that does now work, intel wants me to send pics of the cpu for possible replacement.. sorry..i cannot delete my cpr card

IMG_20180810_124448[1].jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Let us know how the PC works with the PC Power PSU.

So you still don't know what kind of PSU was in there and what cables were used with it?

Good for you for going through CPR training.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i am replacing psu now, its a pc power and cooling, believe it was a fairly good psu during its time. i will replace it with my new seasonic focus 750. if that does now work, intel wants me to send pics of the cpu for possible replacement.. sorry..i cannot delete my cpr card

IMG_20180810_124448[1].jpg
    the pc power and cooling was the psu installed, i replaced it with my new focus 750 seasonic. the pc power and cooling i bought a long time ago, not real sure what date, but it seemed to be a quality unit. i bought it way before thermaltake bought them out..the computer still does not boot, acts like it wants to turn fans, but just a stutter on the fans...i have taken the cpu out and going to send intel pics, i am thinking its the motherboard. it looked like a couple of pins on motherboard are bent