Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: confused on modular 8pin pcie connectors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

'ketchup & mustard cables', or, color-coded ... yes, the older TT cables you have, you can visually ID the wires (yellow/black 12v/ground) @ both ends

With PSU off & cable held in hand, the flat ribbon Corsair cables - which are black & have no color-code - you can carefully trace each wire from end-to-end visually or probe both ends using a DMM / voltmeter set to Continuity Test (with audible alarm) or set to Ohms in order to ID the wires ... when having the Industry Standard pinout @ the device end, you can back-track the wires & divine the pinout @ the PSU end ...

FYI: Because Corsair Type3/4 GRFX cables have an empty pin in the bottom 12v row (PSU end), I question how Jonny (using the MODDIY pinout link earlier) was willing to say they might be a match, given that the photo of the red GRFX 8pin (shown below, from same link) has all 8pins present in the PSU end of connector ... it is possible that link is for the newer RGB Grand

Pinouts - where all 8pins are present in the PSU end of the connector - more closely correspond to EVGA G2 P2 T2 pinouts ... ... ... *ahem*

thermaltake toughpower rgb 850w pinout.jpg

Take a photo of the PSU end of your GRFX cable, get some good views of all ylw/blk wires & load it up here --> because it's color-coded, we can use it to see what other cables might interchange from different companies

edit: Corsair GRFX have one empty slot in the bottom row, so does yours have 7 terminals in the PSU end (like the photo below) or does it have all 8
    Corsair GRFX.jpg
    For instance, the Corsair GRFX cable seen above is probably wrong for RGB Grands, due to where the factory chose to place or position the 'empty slot'

However, it is my experience that Corsair normally positions the empty slot in the outermost slot, as seen below in a pic of my Type 3 & Type 4 cable connector ends. When they do place the empty slot in the outermost slot, then yes, it could be a possible (electrical) match for RGB Grands, maybe even your non-RGB Grand. What we just saw was one Corsair cable that may be right vs one that may be wrong, regardless that all three are Type3/4

Where the empty slot is can / could make a difference ... ... ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cass-Olé; 09-01-2018 at 05:26 PM.
    Surfin' with the Alien

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

heres the cables
    https://imgur.com/a/d2gxqHD
    just to make sure heres the album

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hopefully they came out decent im not very good with forum posting lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

That the end that plugs into the GPU right? We need to see the other end

If it's the and on both sides then they are using a 1:1 pinout and therefore aren't (natively) compatible with Corsairs cables
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this is the psu end i dont know if there visible but im attaching the links lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vakanuva View Post

heres the cables
    https://imgur.com/a/d2gxqHD
    just to make sure heres the album
    Uh oh... Forget what I said then.

I thought they had four +12V on bottom and four ground on the top (as looking at the connector in the picture). But see that extra black wire in the lower left? That makes that cable NOT compatible with your Corsair cables.

I was also confused by what you were calling your PSU. "TPG"? Is that Tough Power Gold? Tough Power Grand?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im sorry for being confusing this cables stuff got my head spinning
    on the psu side it has three yellow and one black on the bottom and all blacks on the top

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You have an 8-wire setup, x5 blk, x3 12v, housed in a CPU/EPS type connector

If you saw my edit above, it is possible a Corsair Type3 or 4 GRFX cable could work, it depends on where the empty slot is in the bottom row

What I can tell you is that your TT and a Corsair do not have the same pinout: note the presence of the black ground wire in the bottom row of your red 8pin, the one next to the x3 yellow 12volts. You could not take your TT cable and have it work in a Corsair, because of that (Corsair has x4 12volt pins in the bottom row, it'd turn your 'black ground' into a 12v, yikes)

IF your Corsair GRFX you have there, if one of them has an empty slot in the same position as that bottom black ground, then yes, that cable might work, electrically

Take a photo of your Corsair GRFX 8pin (PSU end), from both sides. If the empty slot matches my photo of my Corsair 8pin, then yes, do what I said before --> plug it in, and take a DMM / voltmeter to it, verify 12v/ground against the Industry Standard pinout for a 6+2. I've labeled / pinned out my 6+2 in my photo for you. Again, your empty slot has to match my empty slot position for it to work
    PTDC0007.jpg

EDIT: Due to the position of this empty slot, this particular Corsair cable would not work for your application, it'd need to be fixed (back a 12v terminal out & move it over)
    Wrong.jpg

However, my Corsair cable is pinned out a little different, my empty slot is on the outermost pin
    Corsair vs TT.jpg
    Because it is empty there, the ground pin (present in your front panel, bottom row, where we see the black wire next to the x3 12v) is 'harmless' to this cable

As you can see, the TOP row of your TT red 8pin, is all grounds, x4 of them. Corsair places their grounds in the top row also, x5 of them (x2 are jumped). Facts like these make my Corsair cable electrically ok for use in your TT

Your Corsair GRFX cable has to have the same empty slot as mine for it to work

In the side-by-side photo of our PSU connector ends, the outermost left slot has to be empty. If you have one that is, then your cable is worth testing with a voltmeter at the device end, & chances are it's ok

Make sense?
    Last edited by Cass-Olé; 09-01-2018 at 06:19 PM.
    Surfin' with the Alien

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

https://imgur.com/a/YIVpCxx
    heres the album

those are at the psu side