Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Will my power supply be good enough?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Will my power supply be good enough?

    My friend recommend I post here because I don't know a whole lot about power supplies and I would like to purchase a big upgrade soon. I am going to get the next gen Nvidia RTX 2080Ti when it releases and I would like to know if my current system will have enough Wattage to get the job done. I currently don't have any issues with my 7970 and I believe the TDP of that card is 300W. I would like to hear your opinions and expertise.
    Thank you!


    Specs:

    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Motherboard: ASUS Z97-AR
    Memory: G.Skill 1600Mhz 2x4GB sticks
    Processor: Intel I7-4790K Overclocked to 4.5Ghz at 1.23V with a BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Aftermarket air cooler
    Graphics Card: Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB GDDR5
    Power Supply: Antec 650W 80 Plus Earthwatts (atleast 6 years old)
    SSD's: 1xSamsung 840 128GB, 1xSamsung 850 EVO 500GB
    HDD: 1x 5400RPM 750GB
    Monitors: 1xBenQ XL2411P 144hz 24in, 1xAcer 24in 60hz

    Peripherals

    Mouse: Logitech G502
    Headset: Logitech G933 Wireless Headset
    Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri; USA
    Posts
    5,137
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    424
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    37
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

    Default

    Since you say it's just the Earthwatts 80 Plus 650w model, I assume you're talking about the original and not any of the subsiquent revisions (Bronze, Gold, or Platinum.)


    It's a 6 year old unit, so you should consider replacing it just based on age. It's not a poor design nor built poorly but it only had adequate ripple & noise suppression for the time. By comparison to modern designs it's a lot worse in that regard. You combine that with natural capacitor aging and it's just worth replacing to be on the safe side.



    As for what the "RTX 2080 Ti" is gonna take power wise, we simply do not know. TDP is not a measurement of power draw, nor does it reflect the more dynamic nature of power draw in GPUs which can cause some compatibility problems these days.



    On the other hand, based on the information given at this time; a good 550w-650w unit would be enough for the system, even with a full revamp to an 8700K or Ryzen 2700X that's overclocked.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,906
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    570
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    518
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

    Default

    Replace your PSU, not because 650W isn't enough power, but because it's an antique.

    We have no reason to believe 20180Ti uses more or less power than 1080Ti, but we have seen that the card asks for two 8-pin PCIe connectors, has more CUDA cores, higher clocked memory and more memory bandwidth, so we can sort of use 1080Ti as a reference point. Leaked TDP numbers put the 2080 Ti at 285W instead of 1080 Ti's 250W's.

    I would stick with a good 600W. You can run with less, but I've seen transient load spikes from games and benchmarks cause OCP and OPP trip on smaller PSUs when used with overclocked 1080 Ti's.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 08-28-2018 at 12:38 PM.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

    Joel Dash Reed (08-22-2018), none77 (08-20-2018)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Thank you Tator Tot and JonnyGuru for your input! Yeah it was the basic 80 Plus version. I planned on upgrading it early next year, I was just trying to see if this would work until my PSU upgrade. I didn't know a 650W could be plenty of power for that card even with an OC ryzen or 8700k. Again, thank you guys very much for your help! Today I learned that I don't need some crazy 1000W power supply to power everything.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,669
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    391
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    198
    Thanked in
    151 Posts

    Default

    Are you planning to push the RTX 2080 Ti with an overclock?

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Replace your PSU, not because 650W isn't enough power, but because it's an antique.

    We have no reason to believe 20180Ti uses more or less power than 1080Ti, but we have seen that the card asks for two 8-pin PCIe connectors, has more CUDA cores, higher clocked memory and more memory bandwidth, so we can sort of use 1080Ti as a reference point. Leaked TDP numbers put the 2080 Ti at 285W instead of 1080 Ti's 250W's.

    I would stick with a good 600W. You can run with less, but I've seen transient load spikes from games and benchmarks cause OCP and OTP trip on smaller PSUs when used with overclocked 1080 Ti's.
    Interesting. What would you recommend as a good power supply for his setup if price is a concern?
    Intel i7-8700K | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7 | 2 x EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 | Alphacool Eisbaer 420 AIO w/ 3 x Corsair ML140 Pro fans | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB RAID 0 | WD Red NAS 8TB | Audioengine A2 Speakers | Sennheiser HD650 | Schiit Bifrost Uber USB DAC | Schiit Asgard 2 Amp | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 | Sony XBR-43X800D 43" 4K | HP Z27N 27" QHD | Mionix Naos 7000 | Razer Manticore | Kinesis FreeStyle Edge Blue Keyboard | Phanteks Enthoo Elite

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Are you planning to push the RTX 2080 Ti with an overclock?
    No lol I think I should be fine with the normal settings as is. I probably will in the future when I get a newer power supply. That card will already be a powerhouse.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,669
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    391
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    198
    Thanked in
    151 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwningSarge View Post
    No lol I think I should be fine with the normal settings as is. I probably will in the future when I get a newer power supply. That card will already be a powerhouse.
    In that case a high quality 550W is enough. But because you life in the USA most off the time a higher wattage power supply is cheaper.

    EVGA GQ 850W for example is only 60 dollar after rebate, which is the same as the 650W version by the way. But the 850W version uses a different, better platform.

    https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817438061

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    In that case a high quality 550W is enough. But because you life in the USA most off the time a higher wattage power supply is cheaper.

    EVGA GQ 850W for example is only 60 dollar after rebate, which is the same as the 650W version by the way. But the 850W version uses a different, better platform.

    https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817438061
    Alright. Thanks for the help man. I'll probably get a 750W soon

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,669
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    391
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    198
    Thanked in
    151 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwningSarge View Post
    Alright. Thanks for the help man. I'll probably get a 750W soon
    The EVGA GQ 750W isn't 60 dollars after rebate. And if the rebate is gone for the 850W version then there are better options.

Similar Threads

  1. Are these 350w power supply's any good?
    By Magic Smoke in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-03-2018, 05:45 AM
  2. Choose a good power supply for about $80
    By raj800 in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2017, 04:21 AM
  3. looking fopr a good sfx power supply?
    By DGMurdockIII in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-23-2014, 07:48 PM
  4. Is this Power Supply good for this hardware?
    By Ichirei in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-30-2011, 12:57 PM
  5. Looking for a good value modular power supply
    By Gregory_WE in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 06:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •