Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Heavier PSU = better?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,495
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    31
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Valdéz Guzmán View Post
    thank you, do you know what other things impact psu weight?
    Design of the PSU, the components on it (Transformer, Coils), Heatsinks and of course the Case...

    The Cougar GX V3 is IMO relatively heavy but also has a thick, powder coated case wich is one of the best in the industry while the Bitfenix has good electrical performance but a rather basic case (=rather thin, only 'normally' painted)...

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:

    Oliver Valdéz Guzmán (08-13-2018)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,526
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    182
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    ah those old days, where the only thing you had to do is to see how heavy a PSU is to judge about his quality

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to crmaris For This Useful Post:

    Oliver Valdéz Guzmán (08-13-2018)

  5. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    MEXICO
    Posts
    38
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    10
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Not so much material, hence heatsink density, but the size or even if they're used at all.

    Some +12V FETs are so efficient, they're just bolted to busbars. Some are just mounted to the bottom of the PCB so they sink to the PSU housing. That's some significant weight savings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Design of the PSU, the components on it (Transformer, Coils), Heatsinks and of course the Case...

    The Cougar GX V3 is IMO relatively heavy but also has a thick, powder coated case wich is one of the best in the industry while the Bitfenix has good electrical performance but a rather basic case (=rather thin, only 'normally' painted)...
    Quote Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
    ah those old days, where the only thing you had to do is to see how heavy a PSU is to judge about his quality
    Thank you guys your answers were very useful.

    And does the weight of the coil/transformer matter? when it comes to quality or power capabilities?

  6. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    1,299
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    883
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Not so much material, hence heatsink density, but the size or even if they're used at all.

    Some +12V FETs are so efficient, they're just bolted to busbars. Some are just mounted to the bottom of the PCB so they sink to the PSU housing. That's some significant weight savings.
    I don't know about material/weight, but I'm sure that lack of components -- no matter how cheap -- goes to the bottom line.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,495
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    31
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Valdéz Guzmán View Post
    And does the weight of the coil/transformer matter? when it comes to quality or power capabilities?
    I have no idea.

    Transformer is something about the Design and there are some different designs, some are heavier, some are lighter, some are better, some are worse. It depends on the situation.

    For us as "Laymen" its not easy (or rather impossible) to determine the quality of the components, if they are needed, good or bad...
    We can only take educated guesses...

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:

    Oliver Valdéz Guzmán (08-13-2018)

  9. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    MEXICO
    Posts
    38
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    10
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    I have no idea.

    Transformer is something about the Design and there are some different designs, some are heavier, some are lighter, some are better, some are worse. It depends on the situation.

    For us as "Laymen" its not easy (or rather impossible) to determine the quality of the components, if they are needed, good or bad...
    We can only take educated guesses...
    Thanks, and you think a DC-DC power supply is necessary or group regulated is fine

  10. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,495
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    31
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Valdéz Guzmán View Post
    Thanks, and you think a DC-DC power supply is necessary or group regulated is fine
    DC-DC is necessary.


    And I think we should also look at the secondary Caps on +12V and prefer units that have at least 10mF or more.

  11. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    1,822
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    93
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    31
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

    Default

    Would not a higher frequency unit need less capacitive smoothing? then again how is one to know the operating frequency?

  12. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    1,822
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    93
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    31
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

    Default

    10,000 uF is quite a lot

    I keep double posting; I need some rest...
    Last edited by ashiekh; 08-13-2018 at 11:28 PM.

  13. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    MEXICO
    Posts
    38
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    10
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    DC-DC is necessary.


    And I think we should also look at the secondary Caps on +12V and prefer units that have at least 10mF or more.
    is it that bad to use a group regulated one?

    I know they have loose voltage regulation in crossloads but can that really damage a computer?

Similar Threads

  1. the heavier the transformer, mean better PSU?
    By panca saputra jaya in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 12:32 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •