Thread: EVGA 850 P2 "Review" - Tech Deals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Default EVGA 850 P2 "Review" - Tech Deals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saBG3GOEaZM

He still doesn't seem to check his facts (calls Superflower a "major International Company that make Power Supplies", trusts EVGA not to cheat on reviews/reports/branding (it's not like they've ever done that before... right?) and claims "If you have 3 video cards you need a 1200w", despite no 3-way GPU setup needing 1200W unless you are also running HEDT (3 1080Ti FEs will draw 900W with maxed out power limits, and that's assuming you can get them to not throttle), to be fair, the P2 850 can't handle it... but a 1000w would do it just fine unless you are using said HEDT or perhaps some extremely heavy AVX loads)...

If he posts more of these "reviews" I'll just add them to this thread as I don't want to clutter up the forums, but yeah, It's somewhat irritating to see misinformation thrown around and since he's a "techtuber" people inherently trust him...
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

*snip*

I can't really feel all that sorry for the "poor unsuspecting Joe Average" watching the video, as it's literally common sense to not rely on a singular source of information for major decision-making. And if purchasing a PSU (or simply being curious about them) doesn't warrant asking elsewhere too, then the blind followers of these kinds of "experts" deserve exactly the "service" they're getting.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 08-08-2018 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Kind of a personal attack...
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    I can't really feel all that sorry for the "poor unsuspecting Joe Average" watching the video, as it's literally common sense to not rely on a singular source of information for major decision-making. And if purchasing a PSU (or simply being curious about them) doesn't warrant asking elsewhere too, then the blind followers of these kinds of "experts" deserve exactly the "service" they're getting.
    The issue is when you go to places like his discord. Now I'm not saying this is anything specifically bad about his server - all servers are prone to this, but it can be a bit of an echo chamber where he can do no wrong because, well, who uses his server but fans?

I feel you also overestimate the average user, we get dozens of people per day on the /r/buildapc server that have seen an Amazon review on why they shouldn't get the Rmx/G2/FOCUS/(insert PSU here) and they now absolutely cannot use that unit and must get something else... Most people look at a PSU and see it's 80+ whatever and will base their choice on that, or will look at one of these "reviews" and will make their decision based on that...

Given the short time this released after the 1st one was brought up I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was already filmed and that he'll do better fact checking in the future...

Also, his face just has a somewhat smug quality to it, I do have to agree that it can be somewhat irritating, but perhaps that's because we know he's not entirely correct/not super knowledgeable and therefor it comes off as vain or even narcissistic?
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 08-08-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

The review is a useless pirce of crap. There is no point of even discussing it here. I guess it probably would be best if we completely ignore it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I understand awesomegamer919's altruistic urge to "protect the uninformed" potential buyers/users, and i don't think it's bad per se. But it definitely is tilting at windmills in its purest form...

It may come off as cold, perhaps even cruel or lazy, but I really don't think we should stand in defense of the common consumer, even if it were viable. Let everyone learn for themselves, or remain ignorant for as long as their wallets can take it. There will always be schmoes spreading misinformation on the internet, until everyone learns for themselves, by their own gullibility, that they should always seek a second opinion - a factual one, if possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    I understand awesomegamer919's altruistic urge to "protect the uninformed" potential buyers/users, and i don't think it's bad per se. But it definitely is tilting at windmills in its purest form...

It may come off as cold, perhaps even cruel or lazy, but I really don't think we should stand in defense of the common consumer, even if it were viable. Let everyone learn for themselves, or remain ignorant for as long as their wallets can take it. There will always be schmoes spreading misinformation on the internet, until everyone learns for themselves, by their own gullibility, that they should always seek a second opinion - a factual one, if possible.
    Perhaps, I spend a lot of time on the /r/buildapc discord server helping out, so perhaps my viewpoint is a bit more "uninformed consumer-heavy" I'm also a lot less experienced with PSUs than most of the forum goers, only relatively fairly recently (~1 year or so) getting into PSU design and how it all works...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts

We let people get away with a lot in these forums, but I won't allow the personal attacks.

And just as the video does not serve any purpose to inform, neither does this thread (if people came here for information, they already know more than the info in the video). So I'm not closing this thread; I'm just moving it to Off Topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    We let people get away with a lot in these forums, but I won't allow the personal attacks.
    You're right, I did push that a bit too far... Perhaps it would make sense to remove the same text from awesomegamer919's quote of my statement (post 151315)?

Sincere apologies for my lack of tact, I should know better.