Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Corsair CX450 PSU Review: Two Flavors, Tested and Compared @ Tomshardware

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even then it's better than a cheap Sleeve probably, even if some are a little misleading on actual FDB, I was aware, I don't know some designs are a little different.
    Ryzen 2600x 4.3 1.375v, Loop
    MSI X470 Gaming Plus
    Evga SuperSC 3200mhz CL15
    PNY NVME 480gb
    Mushkin ECo3 480gb
    WD Blue 1tb
    Cooler Master GX II Pro 750w

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Batboy88 View Post
    Psu's fans usually always been something cheap man and Sleeve.
    Well depends on the Manufacturer...

If we talk about be quiet, they use FDB Fans in their PSU for over 10 years now. And I believe even the E5 from 2006 is said to have FDB as is the Dark Power P7 Series...
    And at the time there wasn't a product number for the fan either. But I talked to the people responsinble about the fan and that is what they told me.
    So the Product number of the Fan doesn't say anything about the bearing at all.
    And as Philipp said, they use the same Product Numer for different bearings because of the Safety and other things. Because before the law a Sleeve Bearing and a full FDB is the same fan, when they both have the same model number.
    If they have a different model Number, it is a totally different product!

Cougar uses the Power Logic HDB Fans in their higher end Series (Silver and up, except for the SX400 and 460W and GX-S Series. Newer GX-F has Globe Fan FDB)

FDB is what you want. Or Balls....
    Ball bearings in PSU Fans are just bullshit. And the worst you can do.
    Makes absolutely no sense at all today.

Because:
    a) High Bearing noise
    b) Low Temperature enviroment
    and
    c) low fan RPM

Ball Bearing is something you want on either high RPM Fans or in high temperature enviroments. None of those applies to PSU Fans.
    And last but not least:
    There is the User that is pretty close to the device. And 2BB are rather annoying....

Why are they still used in consumer devices like Consoles??
    Well, maybe because there are more manufacturers, they always did it and not because its the best choice for the job...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Ball bearings in PSU Fans are just bullshit. And the worst you can do.

I think the consumer has driven things this way; but I tend to agree, noise is a big issue. Do ceramic ball bearings make much difference?

I got myself a fidget spinner that has a hybrid bearing; very noisy, perhaps because they had washed out the lubricant for speed. A small drop of oil and it is silent.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 07-31-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe not for a psu, but the Ball Bearing is Practical for High Fan Rpm's.
    I still Approve of the Artic F12 though, that thing is quiet and Impressive Air movement for what it is.
    MSI X470 Gaming Plus
    PNY NVME 480gb
    Mushkin ECo3 480gb
    WD Blue 1tb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ball bearings are awesome for high RPM/high ambient temperature use. For a PSU used in servers, rendering or cryptocurrency mining 2BB is usually the best option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Even then it's better than a cheap Sleeve probably, even if some are a little misleading on actual FDB, I was aware, I don't know some designs are a little different.

A rifle bearing is better than a sleeve bearing, but it's FAR below an FDB which they claim it is.

This would be like you buying a 10" personal pizza but the pizza shows up at your table and is only 3 or the 9 slices.

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Do ceramic ball bearings make much difference?

Ceramic Ball Bearings are just ball bearings but better. Lighter, higher temperature resistance, less friction, less noise. The big downside is cost. For consumer use they don't make a ton of sense as they tend to be more expensive than a proper FDB or similar bearing. This is mostly due to intended application of most CBBs being for more industrial environments so they're not normally made small or for DC-Axial fans.

Maybe not for a psu, but the Ball Bearing is Practical for High Fan Rpm's.
    I still Approve of the Artic F12 though, that thing is quiet and Impressive Air movement for what it is.

Arctic also lies about the airflow on those fans, and misleads customers with a noise metric that they cannot use. I wouldn't approve of their products just for those reasons alone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

none77 (07-31-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's actually something I myself would Design. I mean it's Simple Physic's, more Blades and right Pitch/Angle, it's more Efficient.
    MSI X470 Gaming Plus
    PNY NVME 480gb
    Mushkin ECo3 480gb
    WD Blue 1tb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Ceramic Ball Bearings are just ball bearings but better. Lighter, higher temperature resistance, less friction, less noise.

What I had in mind was longer lasting.

I recall the story of lubricated bearings where differing hardnesses lead to long life but it was the harder material that was eventually wearing out first. What was happening was the abrasive particles in the oil would get pressed into the softer material by the harder, to be partially removed. In the early days only one ball was ceramic due to cost, but this was enough to push the abrasive particles into the softer.

Ball bearings get noisier as they wear, so if ceramic delays that wear it should also delay the onset of noise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's actually something I myself would Design. I mean it's Simple Physic's, more Blades and right Pitch/Angle, it's more Efficient.

Again; it's not about the design of the fan, it's about the fact that Arctic Cooling is deceiving it's customers with outright false information.

If you want to talk about the design though, it's also hot garbage. Other manufacturers make products with similar applications (e.g. airflow focused) with better bearings for a similar cost.

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    What I had in mind was longer lasting.

I recall the story of lubricated bearings where differing hardnesses lead to long life but it was the harder material that was wearing first. What was happening was the abrasive particles in the oil would get pressed into the softer material by the harder, to be partially removed. In the early days only one ball was ceramic due to cost, but this was enough to push the abrasive particles into the softer.

I think ball bearings get noisy as they wear, so if ceramic delays that wear it should also delay the onset of noise.

CBBs should be longer lasting; the big thing is we don't have a good comparison point for DC-Axial fans. Newer CBBs do use ceramic for every ball but they still have steel rings which may leader to a similar failure point in the life of the product.