Thread: Ryzen 2700x / x470 and the additional 4 pin power

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ryzen 2700x / x470 and the additional 4 pin power

Just got my Ryzen 2700x and a new x470 motherboard and I realize that the motherboard takes both an 8 pin and a 4 pin cpu cable. Unfortunately, I just bought a Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 550w a few months back and it has the 8 pin, but not the 4 pin connector. Not sure how I screwed this up, but do I need to get a more powerful PSU, or can I purchase the correct cable on its own? Any suggestions as to which PSU I should get? Build includes the above cpu/MB plus 16GB DDR4, one 1070ti, two NVME drives, two ssd's and a normal HD.

I realize I could just be overthinking this too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Just use the 8-pin. You'll be fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

The Ryzen processors don't use a lot of power... they peak at around 120A @ 1.3-1.4v ... so maybe 150w at most. Even with lousy efficiency on the VRM, you're not drawing more than 200w from the connector.

The connector itself can do around 7A per pair of wires if you want to stick to the standard, so that's 12v x 4 pairs x 7A = ~ 336w
    If you don't care about the ATX standard, the physical connector contacts are rated by Molex at around 9A and the wires themselves are think enough to handle more than 10A without significant voltage drops.

So basically the Ryzen processor will barely go over half the capabilities of the 8pin cpu connector, there's no need to use the 4 pin cpu connector.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mariush For This Useful Post:

ehume (07-23-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mariush View Post
    The Ryzen processors don't use a lot of power... they peak at around 120A @ 1.3-1.4v ... so maybe 150w at most. Even with lousy efficiency on the VRM, you're not drawing more than 200w from the connector.

The connector itself can do around 7A per pair of wires if you want to stick to the standard, so that's 12v x 4 pairs x 7A = ~ 336w
    If you don't care about the ATX standard, the physical connector contacts are rated by Molex at around 9A and the wires themselves are think enough to handle more than 10A without significant voltage drops.

So basically the Ryzen processor will barely go over half the capabilities of the 8pin cpu connector, there's no need to use the 4 pin cpu connector.
    But isn't the four-pin connector used for the PCIe plane?
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    Generally no, if the motherboard needs more PCIe power for 4 way SLI/XFire then it usually uses a 6 pin PCIe cable (usually near the bottom of the board), though I have also seen MOLEX connectors used. The extra EPS connector is usually just for extra CPU power (exceptions do apply).
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

No. Not at all. Not sure who is spreading that rumor. If PCIe needs more power due to too many slots (like a cryptocurrency miner), then they would have PCIe six pin connectors on the board.

You're not the first person I've heard claim that the additional 4-pin is for PCIe. That's wrong information and I'd like to know where it's coming from so I can confront them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah Plenty fine with the 8 pin EPS. It Don't even get close what use to get pulled out of them regularly. Yall correct again with the Optional extra Pcie power too and SLI...the evga board has that and some others.
    Ryzen 2600x 4.3 1.375v, Loop
    MSI X470 Gaming Plus
    Evga SuperSC 3200mhz CL15
    PNY NVME 480gb
    Reference Vega 56
    WD Blue 1tb
    Cooler Master GX II Pro 750w

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

As the others said, no; that additional power connector is for the CPU and pretty much only "needed" in XOC circumstances. Otherwise it's pretty useless, even for the R7 1800X at it's highest liquid cooled capabilities.

For suplemental PCI-e power board makers use additional 6pin PCI-e power connectors these days. Though board vendors in the past have used 4 pin molex or SATA connectors. The later was mostly just Gigabyte but both offerings had the same issue of only adding 1 additional 12v connection to the circuit so it didn't help much.