Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace, Repair or RMA Alienware PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Replace, Repair or RMA Alienware PSU

Hi guys !

Ive got a Alienware Graphics Amplifier thats been acting up. To cut a long story short its an external graphics card enclosure and it uses an ATX PSU inside.

It was fine fine for months, but lately its started shutting off after about 30min of strenuous usage. First thing i checked was the card itself (An Asus Geforce GTX 1080 8GB) and it seems fine, it manages to complete the Unigine Superposition benchmark on Extreme settings just fine so unlikely to be the cause.

So the next suspect was the PSU, its an ATX type unit, though it has just the 24pin connector and 2x 8Pin PEG connectors. Its a Dell branded unit but its made by Delta (some are Acbel). Now i generally rate Delta, but upon opening it i was greeted by a very sad site of KZH and Ltec (?) capacitors, seemly undersized for their spec (pics attached), and a very loud Yate Loon D90SH-12 fan.

Primary Bridge rectifiers seems to be 2x 6R280E

Secondary side I can see a STPS10LCD60C and a stps40l45ct, and 4 other ST Micro rectifiers i cant see properly.
    Though None appear to be burned or show signs of damage.

Sooo... its seems to have some decent parts, just shitty caps. My guess is that the secondary side caps were just woeful quality and have degraded. I should have decent quality replacements for these so if thats the problem I could fix it. Though if its the rectifiers that are dying (unlikely ?) then its game over, new caps will do jack...

My options are:

1. RMA, its still under warranty, but chances are the next one will fail too since it will be built the same way (Acbel version is probably worse than the Delta i have). Also probably will take ages for Dell to send me a new one since its an intermittent fault and not outright dead.

2. Replace, I just tried a Corsair CS550 in it, and its had no problems for hours, so it probably is the Delta thats the problem. Though the CS550 does not fit properly due to the AC connector position. Only the Antec VP and Corsair CX series seem to be drop in replacements. Getting those isnt an issue, but of course its going to cost a bit.

3. Repair, I should have some of these caps, though ill have to buy the rest. Theres 10 ill have to replace in total. Though the price of Jap caps I use is high, and maybe that money would be better spent towards getting the above mentioned drop in replacements ?

Any suggestions ? I was leaning towards repair since Ive had a fair bit of success with other PSUs before...though this one is a bit of an oddball.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja7 View Post
    ...its still under warranty...
    I'd go this route, assuming you didn't break any seals; although I have been guilty of fixing stuff under warrantee to avoid the shipping charges.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 07-04-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You think its worth the hassle warrantying it though ? It doesnt appear to be a particularly well built PSU, everything else inside the graphics enclosure seems to be okay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja7 View Post
    You think its worth the hassle warrantying it though ? It doesnt appear to be a particularly well built PSU, everything else inside the graphics enclosure seems to be okay.

Only you can decide that, but if you are sure it is the power supply then replace that yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just picked up a VP600P, they just happened to have one at the shop nearby so I saw that as a sign and picked it up.

Chances are i wont bother RMA'ing now. Should i need to take this Antec out in future, ill probably try my hand at recapping the Dell Delta PSU, im fairly confident that the 12V filtering caps are toasted from constant high load usage. Anyway, no point buying any caps yet ill just store it away for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Could it be that the bigger fan is keeping the video card cooler? You could run the unit open with the Delta supply and a desk fan cooling the whole thing as a test (I'm not so sure its the capacitors).
    Last edited by ashiekh; 07-05-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive run some mining benchmarks on it for a few hours now and its been good. And the airflow is probably worse now despite the bigger fan since theres a lot more cables inside. Temps are roughly the same.

Considering it worked fine until a few days ago makes me think if anything was overheating, it was the PSU. Though i think it does have an issue cause it ran fine for about 6 months before it starting powering off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I was about to say something silly like 'not surprising with the Summer heat', but for you it is Winter, no?

It will be fun to change the capacitors and try again; might want to oil the fan while you are at it.

I splurged and got myself an ESR tester; almost got the Anatek Blue ESR tester as a fun kit to build, but finally went with the Peak ESR70
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 07-05-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a peak ESR70 as well, its a nice piece of kit. Probably will be worth testing the old caps once they are out. Though ive never found a cap that was less than a year old test bad for ESR...but hey its worth checking you never know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Most low ESR caps show physical distress when bad.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 07-05-2018 at 11:15 PM.