Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Failed Prime units

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Two Failed Prime units

Hello

In august of 2016 i decided to update my power supply unit as my old hiper type r 880w was getting old (7+ years) i waited for seasonic to release their prime units as your review praised them and i thought the 650watt (SSR-650TD) unit will be fine as my watt meter reads a typical of 285watts (under gaming) this with a gtx 1080ti and a slight overclock 4.0ghz, so my question is why has this second unit failed 7 months in? Is it just bad luck?

The Pc is plugged into a belkin 8 way surge protector, maybe i should not run these on a surge protector? Both times this unit has failed it threw the breaker box (trip circuit)

First unit Failed after around 11 months. Any insight to this would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Pc spec:

i7 3770k
    msi z77a-gd55
    16gb ram
    evga 1080ti sc2
    SS 650W prime titanium

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WatteryFowls View Post
    Hello

In august of 2016 i decided to update my power supply unit as my old hiper type r 880w was getting old (7+ years) i waited for seasonic to release their prime units as your review praised them and i thought the 650watt (SSR-650TD) unit will be fine as my watt meter reads a typical of 285watts (under gaming) this with a gtx 1080ti and a slight overclock 4.0ghz, so my question is why has this second unit failed 7 months in? Is it just bad luck?

The Pc is plugged into a belkin 8 way surge protector, maybe i should not run these on a surge protector? Both times this unit has failed it threw the breaker box (trip circuit)

First unit Failed after around 11 months. Any insight to this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Can you provide a little more info, so the first unit failed (how?) (was there anything unusual).What happened with the second unit?

So you are using a Surge protector and both times it tripped the breaker box? Have you checked is theres nothing wrong with the wiring?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello,

Do you have more info about this for us? Also, did you contact our support about this issue? Maybe you went directly to us for RMA?
    More info would be welcome.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.
    Best Regards,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello and thank you for the replies,

Yes both failed in exactly the same way, Only way to describe it is You can hear the regular PSU Click sound and then brief power led and then the breaker switch goes, every other device (monitor and speakers 40w rms) on the surge protector works without issue, i have even checked in msi bios for any anti surge options but cannot find any.

Sorry i made a mistake the second unit is only about 5months old

Yes Seasonic Rep the retailer (ocuk) is refusing to rma it as it is over 1 years old, even though the replacement unit was brand new in box (not a repair), so i have been forced to use official seasonic rma service,

i cannot figure this out my older hiper 880w still works (using it for now), and never had any troubles even through the belkin surge protector, next unit i get i will put it on a seperate circuit, but this really shouldnt be happening to £165+ piece of equipment

the Psu was tested at a local pc repair shop and tested on a working pc and psu tester unit both have failed to power good/ON.

If Seasonic does accept the rma do they produce a report detailing what failed?
    Pc spec:

i7 3770k
    msi z77a-gd55
    16gb ram
    evga 1080ti sc2
    SS 650W prime titanium

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi, please fill in our RMA online form but you will need to send the units to our service center in Germany. The RMA process will provide the instructions.

Have you tested the PSUs in another system?

A report will depend on the cause of failure. Our technicians are in the Far East and in EU we only do simple tests.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonic Rep View Post
    Hi, please fill in our RMA online form but you will need to send the units to our service center in Germany. The RMA process will provide the instructions.

Have you tested the PSUs in another system?

A report will depend on the cause of failure. Our technicians are in the Far East and in EU we only do simple tests.
    As stated earlier it has been tested in another working system with different mainboard (i think the board was asrock) and also a power tester 24pins + 8pins test no power on both. my own msi system is working ok aswell with another older power unit (880watt hiper)

Seasonic Rep what do you think the rma timeframe would be 3-4weeks plus?
    Pc spec:

i7 3770k
    msi z77a-gd55
    16gb ram
    evga 1080ti sc2
    SS 650W prime titanium

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Once we receive the unit, it will be tested within 48 hours (work days) and processed within another 24 hours thereafter.

We normally dispatch by UPS but we cannot guarantee the freight time.

Edit: Once you have applied for RMA, please kindly email our support with your RMA# or name. We would like to track previous PSU and this one. Thnks.
    Last edited by Seasonic Rep; 12-29-2017 at 07:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Once we receive the unit, it will be tested within 48 hours (work days) and processed within another 24 hours thereafter.

We normally dispatch by UPS but we cannot guarantee the freight time.

Edit: Once you have applied for RMA, please kindly email our support with your RMA# or name. We would like to track previous PSU and this one. Thnks.
    would i not be better just messaging you the rma number? through pm on this forum?
    Pc spec:

i7 3770k
    msi z77a-gd55
    16gb ram
    evga 1080ti sc2
    SS 650W prime titanium

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WatteryFowls View Post
    would i not be better just messaging you the rma number? through pm on this forum?
    It's also possible but by email we can keep track of all this. Anyway, we will adapt to both way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's also possible but by email we can keep track of all this. Anyway, we will adapt to both way.
    I have sent the email and also pm'd you with the details,

I have no information about the first prime unit that failed it was handled by the retailer, i might have a photograph of the serial number if that helps you track it down.
    Pc spec:

i7 3770k
    msi z77a-gd55
    16gb ram
    evga 1080ti sc2
    SS 650W prime titanium