Thread: Is Seasonic slipping or am I REALLY unlucky? 4 bad Prime Ultra Titanium units ina row

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is Seasonic slipping or am I REALLY unlucky? 4 bad Prime Ultra Titanium units ina row

like many computer geeks out there, i use to swear by Seasonic, but lately i'm just not sure what to think.

1st unit: i bought a 850W Prime Ultra Titanium on release day. it seemed OK at first until i started using my computer for work. once power went past 400W the computer would shut off. naturally i thought it was the PSU. i believe when this website reviewed one of these units, they had a similar issue.

2nd unit (RMA via newegg) never turned on at all. i tried using the jumper to test it before putting it my rig but it just did not turn on. i tried my PSU tester, got nothing.

between units 2 and 3, i was using a corsair TX550M (new model) and all was well even though i am running an intel 7960x and a GTX 1080 Ti. all stock clocks. i did not own this unit and had to return it

3rd unit (RMA via newegg again) seemed to work, but a lot of times i could not power off the PC. after windows shuts down, all the fans and lights just stayed on until i held the power button or pulled the plug. in some cases, i would wait 30 seconds after pulling the plug and put it back in, and the system would power on on it's own without me hitting a power button.

between units 3 and 4, i was using a cooler master masterwatt 650. it was on sale at microcenter for $26 but it worked great. not a single issue

4th unit (RMA via seasonic) crashes. constant crashes without any overclocking. this didn't happen before.

at this point i lost my s**t and in my rage got a Corsair AX1600i, it was on sale for $400 at amazon. i have been using it for 3 weeks and everything has been flawless. my UPS battery never recorded power draw greater than 720W, that's with my 34" alienware monitor and various trinkets, so i know i was not stressing the seasonic beyond its' specs.

so now i got this hunk of crap laying around. it's too expensive to throw out. and i feel guilty selling it on ebay because it will drive that person mad too. i spent $100+ RMAing a PSU i bought for $170. if I RMA it again, i would have spent almost the same amount of money on shipping it back and forth as i had paid for it. should i RMA again, unit #5 will come out to the same price as the AX1600i i'm using now.

anyone have this problem, or am i just not packing enough horseshoes / rabbit feet / four leaf clovers / wishbones?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to solomonshv For This Useful Post:

straighttoplaid (07-03-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello,

Thank you for your message and sorry for this issue.
    Such issue with different PSU's makes me think that it's maybe not only a PSU issue, but I can be wrong. Did you contact us about all this? It would be interesting to get the serial number of the different PSU's to see what we found when we tested them. About the last unit received, did you email us about your issue or nothing? If not, please send an email to usa@seasonic.com about all this.

Thank you very much.
    Best Regards,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not just you. I'll recount my similarly long tale of woe I've been having with them.

TLDR: Have had multiple failures, the latest round of them has resulted in me being without a functional Seasonic PSU for almost 90 days and counting. Customer service has been unhelpful and they've sent me non-functional or damaged PSUs as replacements, sometimes with questionable or downright terrible packaging to protect the PSU.

Full Story:
    I bought an X850 in January of 2016 to replace a CX600m, one of the green label units. Ironically, that green label unit has been running 24/7 in a plex server for around 2 years without issue...

PSU #1:
    After about 8 months (Sept 2016) the computer started turning off when under heavy load (usually gaming). To get the computer to restart I had to unplug it for ~30 seconds. I contacted Seasonic and RMA'd the unit (I paid shipping, about $18). I got a what appeared to be a refurb but it worked.

PSU #2:
    The replacement worked until April 2018. My computer started refusing to boot, instead it would just turn on and off repeatedly. Again, if I unplugged the PSU from the wall for ~30 seconds I could get it to start up and stay running. When I was able to get a successful boot after the on/off cycling the mobo gave a warning that it had engaged it's power surge protection. To verify it was the PSU I bought a Corsair CX650m grey label. The computer ran just fine with the other PSU so the Seasonic is definitely the problem. The PSU was sent back again under RMA (another $18 of shipping). While I was waiting for the replacement I emailed their customer service to ask if they could swap for a different model because the X850 had failed me twice... They said no.

PSU #3:
    They sent me another refurb which isn't a huge issue for me. However, there were two issues. The first is the packing. It was wrapped in a USPS priority mail padded envelope and then tossed in a box full of peanuts. The USPS gives those envelopes away for free but you're supposed to use them for mailing things by their priority mail service, this was shipped Fedex. It seems like whoever is shipping these things is trying to save a few pennies, not what I would have expected from a big company.
    Link to picture of packing job

The second issue was a pretty noticeable scratch on the side of the unit. Someone obviously tried to cover it up with a marker or paint that they smeared across the side. This just looked sloppy and it ticked me off a bit.
    Picture of scratch

The unit appeared to work though, didn't have any problems turning on the PC.

I sent an email to the customer service rep that had told me they couldn't get me a different model and told him I was disappointed that Seasonic would cheap out on packing materials and that they'd send a visibly scratched unit. At no point did I ask for another replacement, the email just said I was disappointed and wouldn't recommend Seasonic to anyone in the future.

The customer service rep apologized and after a day or so I randomly got an email with a prepaid Fedex mailer. The didn't communicate that they were going to replace the PSU because of the scratch so I had already installed it in the computer. After checking with the customer rep they apparently wanted me to send the PSU back to get an unscratched replacement. Would have been nice to have been told that BEFORE I spent the time to pull out the corsair and put in the Seasonic.

In retrospect I should have kept this unit. It was scratched but it seemed to work...

PSU #4
    The replacement unit for the scratched one would turn on the computer, sometimes. It usually wouldn't restart successfully and you had to unplug it ~30 seconds to make it work. On top of that when I finally got it to boot I would get warnings from my mobo that the surge protection had been engaged.
    Video of power cycling

I contacted the same customer service rep again to say they send me a bad unit and included the video above. At first he said it was likely due to my red custom cables that he could see... I had to explain that those are all SATA cables, all the power cables are OEM.

Again, he sent me a prepaid Fedex mailer. This time they asked me to return the 24 pin ATX cable as well. I packed it up and sent it pack.

PSU #5
    They sent me another PSU but there were two problems. Firstly, they did not send me a replacement 24 pin cable. There is no way for me to even plug this PSU in right now.

Secondly, I'm not sure if I even want to plug in the PSU because it was packaged so poorly. They wrapped it in a single layer of bubble wrap, letting it bounce around the box. It doesn't show signs of damage but there are a few dents in the interior of the box.
    https://imgur.com/tSfIxYz

I contacted the same customer service rep and this time requested that he escalate the matter to his manager or the next level of customer service. He thus far has refused. He insists that I wait for the 24 pin connector and try installing it to see if it works. Personally, I don't see why I should install a PSU and test it on my equipment when they would have refused it for RMA return because it was likely to have been damaged in transit. Their own shipping guidelines require 2 inches of padding around the PSU when you return it or your RMA may be refused.

The latest round of returns has taken almost 90 days and I still don't have a working PSU!!! This is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable. If I had known Seasonic's reliability and customer service to be this bad I never would have bought one.

EDIT: Cleaned up some formatting.
    Last edited by straighttoplaid; 07-03-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

If you are in contact with our support, please kindly follow theirs instructions and if any issue, we will take care of it. I may say that your problem is not related to the one of the OP. In both case, we will take care of it.

Best Regards,

Edit:
    - Your cables has been shipped and an email with your tracking # has already been sent to keep you updated.
    - For the last package, we escalated the issue to our new 3PL in order for them to strictly follow the usual process we have for packaging. We expect this packaging you received to never happen again to avoid any issue with the PSU. We do apology for the inconvenience.
    - Email sent to you about your last PSU to solve this issue.
    Last edited by Seasonic Rep; 07-04-2018 at 03:20 AM. Reason: More information/Formatting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonic Rep View Post
    Hello,

Thank you for your message.

If you are in contact with our support, please kindly follow theirs instructions and if any issue, we will take care of it. I may say that your problem is not related to the one of the OP. In both case, we will take care of it.

Best Regards,

Edit:
    - Your cables has been shipped and an email with your tracking # has already been sent to keep you updated.
    - For the last package, we escalated the issue to our new 3PL in order for them to strictly follow the usual process we have for packaging. We expect this packaging you received to never happen again to avoid any issue with the PSU. We do apology for the inconvenience.
    - Email sent to you about your last PSU to solve this issue.
    Thank you for the response.

Yes, I had received the FedEx ground tracking info about the cable. However, I think you can understand the frustration I feel about the situation both about the forgotten wire and about the poor packaging.

I received the email you mentioned which proposed shipping another PSU (packaged correctly hopefully after your discussion with the shipper) without waiting to receive the old one. While it will take some more time I appreciate that you are responding to my concerns about possible damage of the improperly packaged one. Thank you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts

How did this pan out? Everything good now?