Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good recommendation from this Spanish PSU article?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Any good recommendation from this Spanish PSU article?

I live in Spain and I'm reading some PSU guides to decide a model for a i5-8400 and GTX 1060 PC build. What do you think about this list?

https://gamerpc.es/mejores-fuentes-de-alimentacion/

I have read that Spanish hardware websites are not very good, but I think that this list is not SO BAD like others (no Tacens and only one Nox).

I usually prefer consulting guides from US or UK, that I find more reliable, but very often the power supplies recommended in those sites are not available in Spain, or not at a decent price.

So what do you think? Is any of these recommendations a good one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I live in Spain and I'm reading some PSU guides to decide a model for a i5-8400 and GTX 1060 PC build. What do you think about this list?

https://gamerpc.es/mejores-fuentes-de-alimentacion/

I have read that Spanish hardware websites are not very good, but I think that this list is not SO BAD like others (no Tacens and only one Nox).

I usually prefer consulting guides from US or UK, that I find more reliable, but very often the power supplies recommended in those sites are not available in Spain, or not at a decent price.

So what do you think? Is any of these recommendations a good one?
    So, from early on I see issues with the article - no GPU draws 400-600w (Maybe a Vega 64 with a power mod and a CLC) and 24A is overkill for a low end system (and 45A is not enough for a full SLI system, a 1080Ti draws ~25-27A 12VDC on it's own).

The "Good Brands" part is also dumb (Enermax haven't had many good units in years, EVGA constantly flood the market with utter shit, same with Thermaltake (TR2, Litepower, most SMART Power)...

As for PSU suggestions:

Putting a CX (Half bridge resonant conversion w/ DC-DC) at the sameish level as a NOX or EVGA W (EVGA is double forward group reg, I assume the NOX is the same) is amusing.

For midrange, a G2 is better than the XFX TS (G Series is pretty long in the tooth now, I'm surprised it's not been EOL'd by XFX) and I'd probably also take it over the TXm...

For high end, the P2 makes little sense being compared to gold units, the RMx is EOL and the Thermaltake is... ehh, it's just nothing special...

For Silent units the BeQuiet will irritate Stefan to no end (He rightfully hates the 650w for the lack of extra connectors), the HX is not much quieter than an RMx (And 750w is kinda dumb) and the Fanless units... ehh, it still needs some airflow...

I'll leave the rest for others to crituque as I don't really have any experience with the SFX PSUs (other than the Corsair SF, which is going EOL) and the higher wattage PSUs seem... fine, if nothing special...
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    So, from early on I see issues with the article - no GPU draws 400-600w (Maybe a Vega 64 with a power mod and a CLC) and 24A is overkill for a low end system (and 45A is not enough for a full SLI system, a 1080Ti draws ~25-27A 12VDC on it's own).
    They meant total power consumption including other parts hoovers around 400-600W for a single-GPU configuration and that you should add a bit more to have room to upgrade

And yea 45A amps might not be enough for SLIng top of the line cards and top notch CPU but they doesn't mean you can't run SLI with that.

The biggest problem here is the fact that that they generalize power consumption way too much, ofc power draw depends on what GPU, what CPU, if they are overclocked, etc.

The "Good Brands" part is also dumb (Enermax haven't had many good units in years, EVGA constantly flood the market with utter shit, same with Thermaltake (TR2, Litepower, most SMART Power)...
    You didn't read the whole thing

"Esto no quiere decir que todos los modelos de las marcas más reconocidas vayan a ser recomendables, ya que dentro de cada una existen distintas series con diferentes características y materiales. Pero siguiendo los anteriores parámetros y optando por una de estas marcas tendremos un plus de confianza a la hora de hacer nuestra compra."

I'll translate

THAT'S NOT TO SAY ALL BRANDED UNITS ARE RECOMMENDED, GIVEN THERE ARE DIFFERENT SERIES WITH DIFFERENT CARACTERISTICS AND DIFFERENT MATERIALS. BUT FOLLOWING THE STEPS ABOVE AND OPTING GIVES US AN EXTRA AMOUNT OF PEACE OF MIND WHEN SHOPPING FOR OUR PSU

Maybe they didin't emphasize as much as they should but for me It looks convincing enough.

As for PSU suggestions:

Putting a CX (Half bridge resonant conversion w/ DC-DC) at the sameish level as a NOX or EVGA W (EVGA is double forward group reg, I assume the NOX is the same) is amusing.

For midrange, a G2 is better than the XFX TS (G Series is pretty long in the tooth now, I'm surprised it's not been EOL'd by XFX) and I'd probably also take it over the TXm...

For high end, the P2 makes little sense being compared to gold units, the RMx is EOL and the Thermaltake is... ehh, it's just nothing special...

For Silent units the BeQuiet will irritate Stefan to no end (He rightfully hates the 650w for the lack of extra connectors), the HX is not much quieter than an RMx (And 750w is kinda dumb) and the Fanless units... ehh, it still needs some airflow...

I'll leave the rest for others to crituque as I don't really have any experience with the SFX PSUs (other than the Corsair SF, which is going EOL) and the higher wattage PSUs seem... fine, if nothing special...
    I completely agree with that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by COFASA View Post
    They meant total power consumption including other parts hoovers around 400-600W for a single-GPU configuration and that you should add a bit more to have room to upgrade

And yea 45A amps might not be enough for SLIng top of the line cards and top notch CPU but they doesn't mean you can't run SLI with that.

The biggest problem here is the fact that that they generalize power consumption way too much, ofc power draw depends on what GPU, what CPU, if they are overclocked, etc.
    Sure, except it's still insane overkill, for gaming usage nothing below an I7/R7 +x80Ti/Vega class card will use 400w from the PSU, even with a 1080Ti at stock with an 8700k you won't break 400w...

As for SLI, no one should be using SLI with anything below aN x80Ti/Titan class card...
    Quote Originally Posted by COFASA View Post

You didn't read the whole thing

"Esto no quiere decir que todos los modelos de las marcas más reconocidas vayan a ser recomendables, ya que dentro de cada una existen distintas series con diferentes características y materiales. Pero siguiendo los anteriores parámetros y optando por una de estas marcas tendremos un plus de confianza a la hora de hacer nuestra compra."

I'll translate

THAT'S NOT TO SAY ALL BRANDED UNITS ARE RECOMMENDED, GIVEN THERE ARE DIFFERENT SERIES WITH DIFFERENT CARACTERISTICS AND DIFFERENT MATERIALS. BUT FOLLOWING THE STEPS ABOVE AND OPTING GIVES US AN EXTRA AMOUNT OF PEACE OF MIND WHEN SHOPPING FOR OUR PSU

Maybe they didin't emphasize as much as they should but for me It looks convincing enough.
    He makes it sound like they are mostly good with 1-2 bad models, when in fact it's exactly the opposite, EVGA have more shit lines than good ones, and Thermaltakes are just as bad... Good with a couple bad models is like Corsair - they have their bad units like the green CX/Any VS, but they are mostly pretty good...

As for your go-to gold rated PSU being a PRIME Gold, why? It's louder than competitors, has worse cabling than competitors, has a worse fan etc... The "performance" is good, but that's mostly irrelevant...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure, except it's still insane overkill, for gaming usage nothing below an I7/R7 +x80Ti/Vega class card will use 400w from the PSU, even with a 1080Ti at stock with an 8700k you won't break 400w...

What's the point of running an 8700K with a 1080 ti at stock? That's not a realistic scenario, if you are going with high end parts chances are you are going to either overclock or add more power hungry parts.

And gaming isn't the only think that people do Idk why most of the arguments are strictly based around gaming.

[/QUOTE]

As for SLI, no one should be using SLI with anything below aN x80Ti/Titan class card...

That has nothing to do with the main topic, the thing is YOU CAN IN FACT SLI with 600-650W. 1070 ti-1080 SLI being not reasonable is a very different topic. Now, when the 1180 or 1170 comes out it will surely be better and more power efficient than a 1080 ti so people are going to SLI those cards so there's a reason why you have up to 4 power connectos on those PSUs.

The problem here is that he didn't dive in too much, he opted to make a misleading statement saying that you can SLI without pointing out you can't SLI every single card and configuration with 650W

He makes it sound like they are mostly good with 1-2 bad models, when in fact it's exactly the opposite, EVGA have more shit lines than good ones, and Thermaltakes are just as bad... Good with a couple bad models is like Corsair - they have their bad units like the green CX/Any VS, but they are mostly pretty good...
    As a native spanish speaker, I just don't see that adressed. What I can see is what everyone her knows for sure, not all branded units are good, but with branded units you have more chances of finding not so terrible units, and not because it's branded, because you barely find any info on non branded ones, they don't even send their units to reviewers. Maybe for other PC components like cases or peripherals it's ok to go with odd chinese brands, but this is not the case with power supplies bc it means taking unnecesary risks, just like getting a branded PSU with no reviews or internal pics is taking risks. It might be good, but It might not

Don't take it as an article for PSU experts, take it as an article for people that know little about components. You need to be as precise as you can without too many info or technical stuff.

Of course that doesn't mean the guide is 100% correct. I know it isn't even close to that

6. The Following User Says Thank You to COFASA For This Useful Post:

tinpoint (07-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I mostly agree with #2. That list is not the worst I've seen, normally Spanish lists are much worse, filled with crap from Tacens, NOX, Aerocool, and mediocre low-end units from brands like Thermaltake and Enermax. It's funny to see how they recommend NOX Urano SX, absolute crap without APFC, having "not so terrible units" for ultra-cheap PCs like Corsair VS350 for just 5€ more, or recommending both XFX TS Gold and Bronze while the Bronze version is Seasonic GB...

Anyway, the best you can do is to get a custom recommendation, the market is always changing and in a list of recommended PSUs a lot of models are skipped. First of all, where are you planning to buy the PC? Amazon, PCComponentes, Coolmod, Xtremmedia, Neobyte, Wipoid...? And how much would you like to spend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by breixobaloca View Post
    I mostly agree with #2. That list is not the worst I've seen, normally Spanish lists are much worse, filled with crap from Tacens, NOX, Aerocool, and mediocre low-end units from brands like Thermaltake and Enermax. It's funny to see how they recommend NOX Urano SX, absolute crap without APFC, having "not so terrible units" for ultra-cheap PCs like Corsair VS350 for just 5€ more, or recommending both XFX TS Gold and Bronze while the Bronze version is Seasonic GB...

Anyway, the best you can do is to get a custom recommendation, the market is always changing and in a list of recommended PSUs a lot of models are skipped. First of all, where are you planning to buy the PC? Amazon, PCComponentes, Coolmod, Xtremmedia, Neobyte, Wipoid...? And how much would you like to spend?
    What makes VS350 so special? It still relies on crapacitors from samxon...

The spanish market is very weird, no PSU under 60 euro is worth it. They're all all group regulated designs plus sleeave bearing fans filled up with second tier capacitors at best, let's not talk about sub 40 euro units. Bitfenix formula and antec pro gold starts at $60 so that's what I'd go if I were on a budget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks to both for your responses.

awesomegamer919, I don't know what does mean "EOL"... Do you mind to explain me it, please?

breixobaloca, I was planning something around 80 euros. I know that is not a high budget for a good PSU, but considering that before researching I was about to spend just 30 euros...

I'm biased towards Amazon, because I'm Prime member, but I don't mind buying in another site if the PSU + shipping costs are fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

awesomegamer919, I don't know what does mean "EOL"... Do you mind to explain me it, please?
    EOL = End Of Life, it means the product is being phased out and replaced with a newer model.

breixobaloca, I was planning something around 80 euros. I know that is not a high budget for a good PSU, but considering that before researching I was about to spend just 30 euros...

I'm biased towards Amazon, because I'm Prime member, but I don't mind buying in another site if the PSU + shipping costs are fine.
    https://www.amazon.es/quiet-Pure-Pow...+pure+power+10

Probably the best you can do for <80Euro, https://www.amazon.es/quiet-Straight...aight+Power+11 is better but breaks budget + not amazon as vendor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

was planning something around 80 euros. I know that is not a high budget for a good PSU, but considering that before researching I was about to spend just 30 euros...

So far so good, the guide is not the best I've ever seen but it's the best as far a spanish information goes.

The problem is that they don't give specific figures on power consumption and the PSU recommendations are all over the place.

This is what I found, I'd go for the corsair one if possible

https://www.amazon.es/Seasonic-Focus...+plus+gold+550

https://www.amazon.es/Corsair-CP-902...corsair+rm550x

I didn't look into coolmod because the page doesn't work for some reason.

But I think sometimes seasonic prime gold 550W goes down in price, my go-to-option for 80+ gold units