Thread: MS Office & Web Browsing Build

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default MS Office & Web Browsing Build

Hello,

I am looking for a PSU for this build.

I know the parts look kind of weird for Microsoft Office and web browsing. It came down to Microcenter deals and my parents really wanting a 1TB SSD (it's going to be their new office computer). I might switch some parts out with substitutes at Microcenter (most likely RAM and case).

Budget: I don't really have a budget. Less than $100 seems like more than enough, though?

It would be nice if I could pick the PSU up at a Microcenter (particularly the one in Westmont, IL)

I tried sifting through some PSU teardowns, but it's really hard to find low wattage models reviewed. Also, it looks like sometimes a 450w model might be nearly the same price as a 650w.

I would really appreciate some recommendations. Thank you for your help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

You look to be depending on your CPU to provide the graphics, which I do all the time. I'm wondering if you need a PSU at all. Does somebody make an ATX-compliant 150 watt power source? KDM, perhaps?
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ehume, hahaha. I know that the power requirements seem really low. My brother's gaming setup draws only 40w at idle and that's including the monitor, so I imagine this is even less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    You look to be depending on your CPU to provide the graphics, which I do all the time. I'm wondering if you need a PSU at all. Does somebody make an ATX-compliant 150 watt power source? KDM, perhaps?
    PicoPSUs are the only real option in that department but the cost of one of those and a decent brick is more than something like a CX450.

The 150w kit is $70 +S/H so it's not exactly cheap. This particular model doesn't have a review but other models from them have been reviewed here, they're all pretty decent.

@MiniFridge; the best deal you can get in store right now is the EVGA 450 BT at $29. You can read a review about it here, but long story short is it's a very basic unit that does a decent job at most everything. Unfortunately you won't really find lower power units than 400-450w these days because it costs just about the same to make a decent 400w unit as it does a 550w unit. Most folks think "bigger number means better" so that's what they go for.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

ehume (06-30-2018)

cheapie is offline That weird furry girl they warned you about
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know you kind of want to build a computer, but keep in mind that's not your only option. Prebuilts can often be better value for low-end use, or even a refurbished one for even more savings. Even if you were to buy a cheap-ish refurbished computer, add more RAM (I don't know what you need 8GB for, but I assume you have reasons), and put in that SSD, you'd probably still have spent less than you're planning to now. You could even swap out the power supply, if it's standard, to make Stefan happy since he apparently knows better than every OEM ever and anything that even exists near a group-regulated unit is a pile of garbage that'll melt your CPU and/or cat and set your motherboard on fire then blow up.

*sigh*

I'm using an old refurbished Lenovo desktop that I put an SSD in. A Core 2 Duo E8400 and 4GB of RAM seems to not be too bad these days as long as you're using an SSD. The power supply hasn't murdered anyone yet, either, despite being group-regulated, believe it or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cheapie is right, for low end build it is often much better value to purchase a prebuilt.
    Just a quick look at bestbuy U.S. and those 2 might be worth your consideration.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavi...?skuId=6203109
    and
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpo...?skuId=6225214
    I know you don't look for a gaming rig, but its in your budget and have a rx-580 in bonus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MiniFridge View Post
    and my parents really wanting a 1TB SSD

I just got a Seagate FireCuda (SSHD) and so far so good; I normally get Western Digital, but they seem to have stopped offering Solid State Hard Drives

I tend to agree with prebuilt as they get good prices on the OS, a saving that gets passed on to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheapie View Post
    I know you kind of want to build a computer, but keep in mind that's not your only option. Prebuilts can often be better value for low-end use, or even a refurbished one for even more savings. Even if you were to buy a cheap-ish refurbished computer, add more RAM (I don't know what you need 8GB for, but I assume you have reasons), and put in that SSD, you'd probably still have spent less than you're planning to now. You could even swap out the power supply, if it's standard, to make Stefan happy since he apparently knows better than every OEM ever and anything that even exists near a group-regulated unit is a pile of garbage that'll melt your CPU and/or cat and set your motherboard on fire then blow up.

*sigh*

I'm using an old refurbished Lenovo desktop that I put an SSD in. A Core 2 Duo E8400 and 4GB of RAM seems to not be too bad these days as long as you're using an SSD. The power supply hasn't murdered anyone yet, either, despite being group-regulated, believe it or not.
    My wife would still be using a Dell 500s if the on/off toggle on the case had not worn out and I could not figure out how to replace it. An SSD on that old thing made all the difference.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheapie View Post
    I know you kind of want to build a computer, but keep in mind that's not your only option. Prebuilts can often be better value for low-end use, or even a refurbished one for even more savings. Even if you were to buy a cheap-ish refurbished computer, add more RAM (I don't know what you need 8GB for, but I assume you have reasons), and put in that SSD, you'd probably still have spent less than you're planning to now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkeron View Post
    Cheapie is right, for low end build it is often much better value to purchase a prebuilt.
    I looked into prebuilts a lot. When it came down to the upgrades I would have to do, it just wasn't worth it. It ended up costing more than one I could build myself. Also, it seems quite a few desktops use proprietary connectors. I want to avoid that altogether. It's too much of a pain to sift through them and check on all that and add in the cost of upgrades. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

The 8GB of RAM is solely because my parents have 6GB right now. That seems fine, but might as well do a slight RAM upgrade since 2x3GB sticks are not typical.

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    I just got a Seagate FireCuda (SSHD) and so far so good; I normally get Western Digital, but they seem to have stopped offering Solid State Hard Drives

I tend to agree with prebuilt as they get good prices on the OS, a saving that gets passed on to you.
    I don't have experience with SSHD's, but I don't really like the idea of them. Thanks for mentioning it, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    @MiniFridge; the best deal you can get in store right now is the EVGA 450 BT at $29. You can read a review about it here, but long story short is it's a very basic unit that does a decent job at most everything. Unfortunately you won't really find lower power units than 400-450w these days because it costs just about the same to make a decent 400w unit as it does a 550w unit. Most folks think "bigger number means better" so that's what they go for.
    I would like to get a power supply that would last a long time. The thinner than recommended wires and the sleeve bearing fan concern me. Are there any step-ups from that you would recommend?

On the topic of prebuilts: Also, I did forget to mention in my last post that my parents wanted to only get a prebuilt from HP and they wanted it new. Sorry about that. That is probably an important point for why I couldn't get the price down.