Thread: Read this if you're looking for PSU advice!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

Exclamation Read this if you're looking for PSU advice!

So you're are looking for advise about a new power supply? Then you came to the right place! But before we can help you we need some information.

First of course the full specifications of your current PC or the PC you're gonna buy. Full specifications please, so including CPU, motherboard, graphics card drives and case. That way we can calculate the power consumption and also check the PSU compatibility with the other components.

If you're planning to overclock the CPU and/or the graphics card, please let us also know, including an estimation about how far you're planning to overclock those components. Because overclocking can make a really big difference in power consumption of a component.

The second thing we need to know is your location, because every country has different power supplies available for a different price. This also means that if a PSU is a bad choice for someone else in a different country it can be a great choice in your country. It just all depends on the availability and pricing.

Because we don't know every store in every country it would really help if you can post a link to the web store or price comparator which you're gonna use.

And the last thing is your budget, in the same currency as the web store or price comparator, that way we don't need to convert any prices.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

GDILord (05-24-2018), strumf666 (05-23-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

Stuck.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

-The_Mask- (05-23-2018), ears.ears (07-28-2019), ears_ears (01-02-2019), GDILord (05-24-2018), strumf666 (05-24-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    So you're are looking for advise about a new power supply? Then you came to the right place! But before we can help you we need some information.
    1. First of course the full specifications of your current PC or the PC you're gonna buy. Full specifications please, so including CPU, motherboard, graphics card drives and case. That way we can calculate the power consumption and also check the PSU compatibility with the other components.
      • If you're planning to overclock the CPU and/or the graphics card, please let us also know, including an estimation about how far you're planning to overclock those components. Because overclocking can make a really big difference in power consumption of a component.

2. The second thing we need to know is your location, because every country has different power supplies available for a different price. This also means that if a PSU is a bad choice for someone else in a different country it can be a great choice in your country. It just all depends on the availability and pricing.
    3. Because we don't know every store in every country it would really help if you can post a link to the web store or price comparator which you're gonna use.
    4. And the last thing is your budget, in the same currency as the web store or price comparator, that way we don't need to convert any prices.
    Much better now it is. in this form!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think to add noise raiting request would help.

cheapie is offline That weird furry girl they warned you about
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by none77 View Post
    I think to add noise raiting request would help.
    Meh, not everyone cares too much about that. I don't, for instance, as long as it's not so loud I can't hear anything over it.

I think a better way to word it might be something like this: "Please also list any special requirements you may have, such as noise level or specific cables / cable length"