Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old PSU fried - looking for replacement (SeaSonic or Corsair)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Plans to rectify this?
    Yes... but.... You either retool the housing (expensive) or use a different fan.

And then, either way, you have to do all thermal and acoustic testing all over again. So to fix it, we have to justify the cost of refreshing a relatively new product by finding other things to update that marketing can communicate as bulletpoints.

I admit, TX-M Gold was my first project at Corsair and I made mis-steps. Managing a product is a lot more detail oriented than reviewing one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I can only but admire your honestly, makes me all the more keen to get a Corsair, although probably not that series ;-) but it is something the engineers should have caught, so the blame is not all yours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post

Do you need more than one?
    For people that are buying HEDT stuff it's still difficult to find power supplies with more then one EPS connector, without just buying something really overkill.

Well and the new standard is of course four EPS connectors. So you can power your 5GHz overclocked 28 core Intel Core i9 XCC. Which will only consume around 800W/1000W, CPU alone of course.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/in...ard,37213.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks a bunch guys, this is super useful!

The TX550m has 7 year warranty, the length does not changed based on wattage
    The store/importer in my country provides 5 years of warranty (to clarify, I'm talking about the new Grey stripe Gold+, not the old bronze one as COFASA suggested). However the Corsair website says this: "Any warranty claims that cannot be processed through your original point our purchased should be submitted to Corsair at https://support.corsair.com/ ". Does it mean I can basically bypass my local retailer and get the warranty directly from Corsair?

How much is an RM550x? 650w is kinda overkill for 99% of users.
    Would actually come out more expensive than RM750x (a different store carries it).

Personally I'd say Whisper 450M -> Whisper 550M/Corsair RM550x(i) > Seasonic (all of them) > Formul
    Where would you place the Corsair TX550M in this ranking? After all it was jonnyGURU's first recommendation...

Because for your current PC a Corsair CX450 is perfect.
    https://1pc.co.il/mobile/product-324...d_ATX_PSU.aspx
    Wow you actually found it in an Israeli store, you guys are so cool
    I just saw it on tier 3 over at LTT and only 3 years warranty so assumed it's worth shelling out say 30$ more for the TX550M...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

You need to forget that list, it's BS and you will never find a good power supply with lists like that.

The CX450 has a warranty of 5 years by the way. And if you're planning to use the current PC for like two or three years I go with the CX450.

In the next couple of years we get the ATX 2.5 and ATX 2.6. Better buy a new power supply then instead of a ATX 2.4 now, which will be old over a couple of years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    You need to forget that list, it's BS and you will never find a good power supply with lists like that.
    I see, didn't know it was that bad. Live and learn...

The CX450 has a warranty of 5 years by the way
    The store/importer only give me 3, can't you read Hebrew?
    Even if I can get international warranty (johnnyGURU, do you happen to know?), According to Corsair's warranty page it only gets 3. And if I get the CX450M that brings me only 12$ away from the TX550M so I might as well get that, no?

if you're planning to use the current PC for like two or three years I go with the CX450. In the next couple of years we get the ATX 2.5 and ATX 2.6. Better buy a new power supply then instead of a ATX 2.4 now, which will be old over a couple of years.
    I plan to use my current PC until it dies
    Hopefully that takes much longer than 2-3 years...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcFly View Post
    Thanks a bunch guys, this is super useful!

The store/importer in my country provides 5 years of warranty (to clarify, I'm talking about the new Grey stripe Gold+, not the old bronze one as COFASA suggested). However the Corsair website says this: "Any warranty claims that cannot be processed through your original point our purchased should be submitted to Corsair at https://support.corsair.com/ ". Does it mean I can basically bypass my local retailer and get the warranty directly from Corsair?

Would actually come out more expensive than RM750x (a different store carries it).

Where would you place the Corsair TX550M in this ranking? After all it was jonnyGURU's first recommendation...

Wow you actually found it in an Israeli store, you guys are so cool
    I just saw it on tier 3 over at LTT and only 3 years warranty so assumed it's worth shelling out say 30$ more for the TX550M...

Yeah i dont like LTT or Toms, they don't give answers only "comments" if your hardware is not worthy so i came to JonnyGuru and decided to stay

Like mask said i would stick with CX450, maybe 550 if it was cheaper. I have one of those and runs great , Still have my Antec HCG 750M 80+ bronze after 5 years working great 80+ Bronze is still good.

I also have an Corsair RM 550 and its a fantastic unit, Seasonic too.

found a CX450 in this israeli website that also has many stores

https://www.ivory.co.il/catalog.php?id=22018

Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 750 Watt

https://www.ivory.co.il/catalog.php?id=25086

Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 650 watt

https://www.ivory.co.il/catalog.php?id=25093

Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 650 watt

https://www.ivory.co.il/catalog.php?id=25103

There's options, i would recommend either a Corsaid CX 450-550, a Corsair RM (not RMi unless you want to spend extra) 550, or a Seasonic Unit Prime Gold should be good IMO.

What other units have you been looking at?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcFly View Post
    The store/importer only give me 3, can't you read Hebrew?
    Chrome translates it to English.

But yeah it could be that they give you only 3 years, but it could also be a mistake, because the older CX series was 3 years.

I plan to use my current PC until it dies
    Hopefully that takes much longer than 2-3 years...
    In that case I would go with the CX450. Otherwise the PSU could be obsolete before you really gonna use it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Chrome translates it to English.
    In that case I would go with the CX450. Otherwise the PSU could be obsolete before you really gonna use it.
    I'll be honest with you, once I buy this PSU I'm not going to be following the ATX standard etc. and basically won't be replacing it until it dies (this is basically true for all my components). So I would still prefer a really good obsolete one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

But what if the future motherboard isn't gonna work with the current power supply?